Current most published living pathologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone off the top of their head know who is the most published living pathologist (who practices ie not a FT bench monkey) or at least the most published American?

thanks

Im thinking LM Weiss with 696 beating out RH Young with 500ish but there is likely a dark horse out there.

update I got this so far:
LM Weiss 696
CD Fletcher 556
RH Young 562
PE LeBoit 239
MC Mihm 446
BR Smoller 227

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How does Jaffe stack up? ES Jaffe on pubmed = 613; e jaffe = 951.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pathology encompasses education and research. The H index is a measure of how often your work is cited by others.

Abul Abbas pubmed = 773, H index = 80
Peter Ward pubmed = 765, H index = 115
Steve Galli pubmed = 538, H index = 102

epstein ji 789

ah yes that is who I forgot!

Abbas, Galli and Ward...and correct me if I wrong...are not actually pathologists.

Pathologist=sign out surgical cases or direct a clin lab section but preferably both.

This trio are people, very valuable to society mind you, who do research who once did a pathology residency in their youth. Big difference.

Reactions: 1 user
ah yes that is who I forgot!

Abbas, Galli and Ward...and correct me if I wrong...are not actually pathologists.

Pathologist=sign out surgical cases or direct a clin lab section but preferably both.

This trio are people, very valuable to society mind you, who do research who once did a pathology residency in their youth. Big difference.

I lament the constant assertion that anyone who did a pathology residency but never actually provides patient care and instead does basic science research is still considered a pathologist and is listed with the rest of us. We are so persistent in making others think that we are the most basic science-oriented field, which is in my opinion an inaccurate simplification of reality.

Yah That is what Im saying Over9000.

But regardless, there wont be a Abbas Gen2 anytime in the near future. The concept of a wealthy landed "Research Class" like the English Gentlemen out of a Jane Austin book is dying off. Most pathologists graduating from residency will be burdened with substantial sign outs even while struggling to get grants and publish since medical centers are under increasing reimbursement pressure from government payors.

The concept of someone who does a medical residency and then spends 100% of their time "exploring the natural world in all its wonder" is anachronism now.

Sad actually as that was my dream at one point in my life (cue I dreamed a dream of times gone by...).

The future:
1. Universities will move heavily towards the virtual/online model with a small cadre of professional lecturers due to a retirement wave and ensuing unfunded pension costs, marketplace forced reductions in tuition and a decreased willingness of government to eat bad student debt.
2. Academic medical centers will be forced into an "all hands on deck" model due to declining reimbursement and bundled payments.
3. Government funding for research will moderate even further as more and more momentum swings towards a private capitalistic mode of scientific advancement.
4. Private research will do a better job of containing research costs by employing PhDs without the burden of tenure/pension. Advancements will actually speed up significantly as well due to better capital market incentive systems, creating an even greater torrent out of "schools" and into "corporations".
5. The model of the full time physician researcher living on the bench for a majority of their career will end (perhaps aside from the occasional researcher who is independently wealthy, oddly bringing us almost full circle to the 19th century model of the physician-investigator..)

You can see funny little attempts at big universities to become part of the corporate world by lending their branding or doing research "partnerships" but this will end as it is gimmicky and not particularly cost effective in the new highly competitive globalized world of scientific advancement for health purposes.

Dolla dolla bill y'all
~Unknown quote from African American urbanite.

Damn Over, you seriously off topic'd me!!!

I think advancement in all fields, not just medicine, will plateau or rise slowly until there is another war or potential one with a competing world power. Then we will see true advancement. I hope the day never comes.

The last great Renaissance of human betterment was during the Cold War. Before that was WW2. Since then all we have are occasional underfunded ideas here and there.

Corporations have different directives than governments at a standoff or under major threat. Corps value shareholder profits over all else. Countries at war value winning.

Oh by the way what's up with lame case reports, sorry residents, try to not publish **** case reports to get into dermapath, it's a drain on humanity