current mph student thinking about medical school (taking undergrad courses?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesyblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I graduated from a top 25 undergrad and am currently a 1st year student in a top 10 public health institution. I am obtaining my MPH focusing on on healthcare policy and management and had a goal of working in administratives.

I've since been having a revelation while taking my classes and for the first time I've actually am considering medical school.

However, My undergrad science GPA was not high around 3.0 (due to poor academic performance my first and second year.. the lower division courses)

I would rather not take another post bacc mainly because of the costs.

I was wondering if it is wise to basically retake undergrad science (Bio, Chemistry, physics) at this current university in addition to my PH classes.
would that be as good as an impact for med schools?

I have had a pretty good if not somewhat extensive extracurriculum involvement in undergrad ... currently just taking classes now but looking to work part time in related field at all.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be highly beneficial for DO applications due to the grade replacement policies. It would be beneficial for MD applications because it raises your cGPA and sGPA if you get a higher grade the second time around (but it doesn't replace your past grade).

Your MPH will be useful in your application, but will not excuse a bad undergrad GPA.

ahh.. this is great news. So if I took these undergraduate courses at my current graduate university, the grades will be averaged correct? (even though different institutaions)

(understanding that the adcoms can still see my previous grades.. but just the AMCAS calculations)

Do any of you know whether this has done and has worked with people in my similar situation?