Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Current NYU & Nova Students

Discussion in 'School Specific Discussions' started by member12345678, 12.02.11.

1. Thanks to Crack the DAT
  1. member12345678

member12345678

Pre-Dental

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am in the incredibly fortunate position to have received multiple acceptances yesterday. I have thought long and hard and my two top choices are NYU and Nova. I don't know many current students at either school and was hoping someone could give me a little insight about their experience as a current NYU/Nova dental student or why they chose not to attend one of the schools. I've researched a ton about both NYU and Nova and fell in love with them both so I'm really now just looking for some personal experiences to supplement my decision.

Thank you very very much in advance. I've looked at previous threads on this forum and most are either outdated or don't help me personally.

On a sidenote, if you are in the same position or have just received an acceptance from either school, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective as well. Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance, you all deserve it... and if you didn't hear good news this round, don't give up hope!
  2. Hordel 85

Hordel 85

Dental Student
    I am a current D3 at Nova and would be happy to answer questions (this next week is going to be bad with finals so if I do not respond right away forgive me).

D1 year = all the hard core science courses (anatomy, biochem, neuroanatomy, physiology...etc) You will also have some dental courses (operative + lab, perio + rotation, occlusion + lab, caries risk...etc). This year you get a little clinic experience by shadowing D3 and D4's and some work in perio on each other.
    NOTE: end of D1/summer you will take NBDE part 1 (it is better because all the info is fresh in mind) The summer semester is really pretty relaxed with plenty of time to study. YES, there is summer school (I think you get like 2-3 weeks off)

D2 = all the dental courses you need before clinic (fixed + lab, removable + lab, radiology + lab...etc). This year you get some work with patients, you do a couple simple cleanings. Summer of this year is CAMP FILKER (as it is called by students). It is basically a clinic boot-camp to get you ready. This summer is even easier than the first one

D3 = Clinic, clinic, and more clinic. This year you will take a few classes (5-6) and work in clinic. The begining is a little slow, you Tx plan patients and do some perio and resto's (as I have told others, it can go better but it is kinda luck of the draw). End of D3-early D4 is when I hear you get a LOT of requirements done. The requirement list is NOT that bad, but you can do more than is required if you have time (some do and some don't, dental school is what YOU make it)

D4 = finish clinic requirements with only a FEW isolated classes and prepare for state boards and NBDE part 2.

The first 2 years are HEAVY into studying (I remember having a test every day for like 2 weeks). But it is reasonable. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with your decision and CONGRATS on your acceptances!

P.S. - I am in NO way saying Nova is better or worse than NYC (in fact a lot of our faculty come from NYC). You have to choose what is best for YOU and where YOU will be happy!
  3. member12345678

member12345678

Pre-Dental
    Thank you SO much! You have no idea how much that helped. One other thing--are you interested in specializing? Do you have any idea what percentage of students who apply get into specialty programs? (Or what percentage of the entire class gets into specialty programs?) Thank you for all of your advice--it's nice to hear of someone with personal experience at Nova. Good luck with your finals!
  4. Hordel 85

Hordel 85

Dental Student
    To be honest I am not sure (about either question really). I chose to go via the army so if I do specialize it will likely be with them. If I had to guess about 35-45% of students do specialize, with a good number going on to AEGD and GPR's. I would say that if you want to specialize you can, you just have to decide.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal