Program-Specific Info / Q's CURRENT OT STUDENTS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015 Applicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any students out there who are not impressed with their program or who wish they had gone somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a current OT student in my second year. I won't call out my school by name, although I'm sure you can find it in past threads. I go to a top 15 school, and something I didn't really investigate well before starting my program is the criteria that is used to rank schools. The biggest is RESEARCH. I only applied to well ranked schools thinking that meant something, but there's actually a huge drawback to it. Schools with research dollars by and large use tenured faculty to teach instead of adjunct. In my case, many of these professors haven't practiced in years (I'm talking late 80s early 90s). We've had a couple adjunct who have come in for guest lectures, but there is really a huge disconnect between them and our professors. Our professors are skilled in one area of practice, because that's what they research on. Anything they don't, I feel like we are missing a lot of crucial practice in. A lot of our professors don't seem to grasp what's really going on in the field and the students are paying for it. If I could go back, I would choose a lower ranked school with mostly adjunct faculty. I'm not interested in being a researcher, I want to be an OT. I honestly think I'd be less disillusioned going to a school where I am learning from current occupational therapists.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a current OT student in my second year. I won't call out my school by name, although I'm sure you can find it in past threads. I go to a top 15 school, and something I didn't really investigate well before starting my program is the criteria that is used to rank schools. The biggest is RESEARCH. I only applied to well ranked schools thinking that meant something, but there's actually a huge drawback to it. Schools with research dollars by and large use tenured faculty to teach instead of adjunct. In my case, many of these professors haven't practiced in years (I'm talking late 80s early 90s). We've had a couple adjunct who have come in for guest lectures, but there is really a huge disconnect between them and our professors. Our professors are skilled in one area of practice, because that's what they research on. Anything they don't, I feel like we are missing a lot of crucial practice in. A lot of our professors don't seem to grasp what's really going on in the field and the students are paying for it. If I could go back, I would choose a lower ranked school with mostly adjunct faculty. I'm not interested in being a researcher, I want to be an OT. I honestly think I'd be less disillusioned going to a school where I am learning from current occupational therapists.
I honestly did not know that's the primary factor the rankings are based on. And having out of touch professors sucks! Esp in a field so hands on. That's a good thing to look into for my future interviews. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you! It's a little confusing how people decide where to apply based on prestige rather than fit. 2 of the schools I'm applying to are top 15 programs, but I actually want to do research, and I'm not seeing much interesting stuff done outside of the top 30 or so (and even then...). I think size and age of the school have some factor as well?

Im also an OT student but i'm in my first semester. I went to a school that wasn't ranked very high in a not so-great area. I even read a few bad posts about my school on here prior to attending. I learned that you really cant believe everything you read in threads about lower ranked schools because I love the program so far and all of the professors are currently practicing with their OTD's. It's surprising to me that a higher ranked school wouldn't have the same. This just proves that the higher ranks aren't always the best.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same boat. I was so happy when I got into my program and I have been pretty disappointed to be honest with you. I so badly want to transfer to another program but I have no idea if this is even an option. It was such hell applying to schools I never want to deal with that again. I also am unsure as to how/if grad credits even transfer like that. I am obviously going to stick through it if transferring is not an option, I still want to be an OT. But yikes, I definitely expected better from the school I am attending. Most of the faculty work in one specific specialty so we often feel like we aren't getting a full perspective on things at all. The politics within the department is quite honestly very ugly and I truly feel uneasy about giving my money to them. They instill so much anxiety into the students with the rules/course load/requirements that other programs do not have. It does not feel like a supportive environment in any way. Everyone is constantly stressed out and the department is so concentrated on rankings and advocating, they literally pay no attention to the actual students under their nose. The things I have heard our department head say in her office literally sickens me.

I am a first year MOT student and absolutely love the program I am in! I had to apply twice before I was accepted into my first choice program. The first time around I only received an acceptance from 1 school (Sacred Heart University)- yet it didn't seem like the right fit for me. The second year I applied I was accepted into 4 different schools. Yes, the application process was stressful, but it is so important to do research and find out as much about the programs you are applying to as possible. The program I am in provides one on one interviews where you get the change to meet current 1st and 2nd year students and ask them any questions you may have. Some of the posts on this forum say the best thing to do is to attend the cheapest school, but I would highly recommend applying to schools that require interviews. It shows that they care about more than just your grades and accomplishments, but on how you interact and work with others as well. I can't image how disappointing it must be to go through the rollercoaster process of applying and getting accepted, only to find that you are unsatisfied with the program.. At this point, waiting that entire year was entirely worth it.

Reactions: 4 users
I am in the same boat. I was so happy when I got into my program and I have been pretty disappointed to be honest with you. I so badly want to transfer to another program but I have no idea if this is even an option. It was such hell applying to schools I never want to deal with that again. I also am unsure as to how/if grad credits even transfer like that. I am obviously going to stick through it if transferring is not an option, I still want to be an OT. But yikes, I definitely expected better from the school I am attending. Most of the faculty work in one specific specialty so we often feel like we aren't getting a full perspective on things at all. The politics within the department is quite honestly very ugly and I truly feel uneasy about giving my money to them. They instill so much anxiety into the students with the rules/course load/requirements that other programs do not have. It does not feel like a supportive environment in any way. Everyone is constantly stressed out and the department is so concentrated on rankings and advocating, they literally pay no attention to the actual students under their nose. The things I have heard our department head say in her office literally sickens me.
That sounds horrible! I hope you can transfer... this is a big fear for me with picking a school... I really want to factor in money but I also want to make sure I get a well-rounded education and I'm not miserable wherever I end up. are you willing to share what state you're in?

That sounds horrible! I hope you can transfer... this is a big fear for me with picking a school... I really want to factor in money but I also want to make sure I get a well-rounded education and I'm not miserable wherever I end up. are you willing to share what state you're in?
PM me!

My school was up front that it was not into research.