Current/Past MCPHS Manchester/Worcester students? HELP PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Current and graduate MCPHS Manchester/Worcester Student, tell me if I am crazy lol

I have been accepted into MCPHS Manchester/Worcester and KGI Pharmacy in Claremont CA. I really like the manchester program but I am afraid it won't be the best option for me based on some negative reviews I have read about the accelerated program claiming a high fail/drop rate.

I'm a hard working student and school would be my #1 priority if I attend either one of these schools. I have my bachelor in Bio with GPA of 3.3 while working about 25 hrs a week.

Here are some facts about both schools.

MCPHS Manchester/Worcester:
- Accelerated 3 year around program
- Only break is winter break and a few days between semesters
- There are number of threads here at sd, with mixed reviews about MCPHS accelerated program, some good and some bad
- Weather is NOT california nice
- Will be cheaper because it's one year less
- Must maintain a GPA of 2.2 or higher
- Fully accredited

KGI Pharmacy
- It's a new school, so not fully accredited, but lets say they get candidate status, I don't think they will have problem obtaining accreditation once the first class graduates. ACPE only gives candidate status if they are very certain the school will be able to get accreditation.
- Easier than MCPHS and they focus on group/active learning which I don't know if it's beneficial or not for pharmacy student because there aren't many schools trying this out.
- Typical 4 year program
- I love Cali weather
- Must maintain a GPA of 3.o
- School is focused on Biotechnology which is an awesome approach and make students more ready if they desire to work for pharmaceutical companies which I want to do.

So if you were in my situation which school would you choose and why?

I really appreciate everyone's input. I have been thinking about which school to attend for almost a month and i cannot decide, it's too hard of a decision!

Thanks again,
Shaida

Members don't see this ad.

Accreditation is too important for those other factors to matter. Go to MCPHS.

Btw: the only cost savings with the 3-year program is the fact that you start earning an RPh salary a year sooner. Out of pocket cost to get to graduation is (about) the same as the Boston 4 year program.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from CA and I'm currently in my first year at MCPHS Worcester... and honestly, I really don't like it here. The school is very disorganized. The faculty and administration don't seem to care about the students at all. It's hard not to get the feeling that they only care about making a profit and whatever is most convenient for them, not thinking about the students one bit. And it's not like I'm mad because I'm not doing well... in fact, I earned a 3.8 GPA my first semester and then a 3.6 the following semester. I really had to work my butt off for those grades and I feel that you have to work extra hard here, not just because it's an accelerated program, but because the majority of professors aren't very good at teaching, so you end up having to teach yourself a lot of things. In addition, you sit in one large classroom, all day long, every day. Also, I can't help but to continue to wonder where all my tuition money goes (which they keep increasing each year) when this school which relies heavily on the internet has such bad service, old computer systems, and a couple despicable "on campus" living options. Literally every classmate I have talked to about this school has agreed with me in truly disliking it here. My class started with about 320 kids, and now into the third semester, I believe we have about 260 something people. Furthermore, the city of Worcester sucks. There's a very big heroin problem here and a lot of crime of opportunity seems to occur. My friend had his car broken into 3 times and a classmate got held up robbed. Not to mention receiving the emails about a couple stabbings that occurred just down the street from campus. Also, if you live near the school, you are also living right by a hospital (constant sirens) and a train station (train blows it's horn really loudly, multiple times in the middle of the night). I've also been woken up a couple times early in the morning by some crazy lady screaming profanities somewhere out on the street. However, she doesn't seem to be around anymore. I honestly could go on a lot more with specifics about what I don't like about this school and this city, but I won't. The only good thing about the school, that I try to remind myself about to get me through, is that it is 3 years, so you will be done a little sooner.

I honestly don't know anything about KGI, but I love California. Then again, I'm probably a bit biased since I'm from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from not too far from Massachusetts and I also heard negative things about MCPHS because of their terrible attrition rates and unhappy students. Pharmacy is largely regional so you probably haven't heard much about it, but if you're from CA and wish to work there, it would probably be better to stay in CA. I mean could you imagine losing 40k after getting kicked out after your first year, talk about STRESS. School's should be changing their admission standards if they have a attrition problem, but not just anticipating losing 30 students per year.

Well, I seem to be Negative Nancy on every thread tonight, but I don't think I'd want to go to either school. But if I had to pick between the 2, definitely the one that was accredited. No way would I risk tens of thousands of dollars on an accredited school (and in case you are wondering, yes it has happened, that a pharmacy students have been left in the lurch mid-schooling, with tens of thousands of dollars debt, when their non-accredited school couldn't get accredited and closed up.....yes, even with candidate status.)

Well, I seem to be Negative Nancy on every thread tonight, but I don't think I'd want to go to either school. But if I had to pick between the 2, definitely the one that was accredited. No way would I risk tens of thousands of dollars on an accredited school (and in case you are wondering, yes it has happened, that a pharmacy students have been left in the lurch mid-schooling, with tens of thousands of dollars debt, when their non-accredited school couldn't get accredited and closed up.....yes, even with candidate status.)

It's really rare. Has it happened anywhere besides that one school in Hawaii? I lean against MCPHS because no one wants to be completely miserable for 3 years when there's other 3 year schools that aren't bad at all.

Last edited:
I'm from CA and I'm currently in my first year at MCPHS Worcester... and honestly, I really don't like it here. The school is very disorganized. The faculty and administration don't seem to care about the students at all. It's hard not to get the feeling that they only care about making a profit and whatever is most convenient for them, not thinking about the students one bit. And it's not like I'm mad because I'm not doing well... in fact, I earned a 3.8 GPA my first semester and then a 3.6 the following semester. I really had to work my butt off for those grades and I feel that you have to work extra hard here, not just because it's an accelerated program, but because the majority of professors aren't very good at teaching, so you end up having to teach yourself a lot of things. In addition, you sit in one large classroom, all day long, every day. Also, I can't help but to continue to wonder where all my tuition money goes (which they keep increasing each year) when this school which relies heavily on the internet has such bad service, old computer systems, and a couple despicable "on campus" living options. Literally every classmate I have talked to about this school has agreed with me in truly disliking it here. My class started with about 320 kids, and now into the third semester, I believe we have about 260 something people. Furthermore, the city of Worcester sucks. There's a very big heroin problem here and a lot of crime of opportunity seems to occur. My friend had his car broken into 3 times and a classmate got held up robbed. Not to mention receiving the emails about a couple stabbings that occurred just down the street from campus. Also, if you live near the school, you are also living right by a hospital (constant sirens) and a train station (train blows it's horn really loudly, multiple times in the middle of the night). I've also been woken up a couple times early in the morning by some crazy lady screaming profanities somewhere out on the street. However, she doesn't seem to be around anymore. I honestly could go on a lot more with specifics about what I don't like about this school and this city, but I won't. The only good thing about the school, that I try to remind myself about to get me through, is that it is 3 years, so you will be done a little sooner.

I honestly don't know anything about KGI, but I love California. Then again, I'm probably a bit biased since I'm from there.
How about the Boston Campus, im from CA and I plan on going there for the 6 year program...

I graduated from MCPHS worcester in 2014. P2 year is miserable. P1 and P3 are fine. Get therapeutics notes for p2 year and your life will be much easier

I graduated from MCPHS worcester in 2014. P2 year is miserable. P1 and P3 are fine. Get therapeutics notes for p2 year and your life will be much easier
Hi SpartanLaser. Where can one get therapeutic notes for P2? I will be a P1 student in the fall.

Ask last year's students. Mine are outdated from 2013 before stuff like JNC8

Hi SKS_Pharmd, I will be a P1 student in the Fall also. I am so worried about the therapeutic series courses. I have heard student said that course was very miserable. Let me know if you find the notes from p2 student. I am also wondering did you find any place to live in the fall semester yet?

Hi SKS_Pharmd, I will be a P1 student in the Fall also. I am so worried about the therapeutic series courses. I have heard student said that course was very miserable. Let me know if you find the notes from p2 student. I am also wondering did you find any place to live in the fall semester yet?
pakho12-- I heard the same, I've yet to find anyone the previous year with P2 notes. I will be living at home which is 15 mins away from campus.

pakho12-- I heard the same, I've yet to find anyone the previous year with P2 notes. I will be living at home which is 15 mins away from campus.
That's why I am still deciding whether I should attend the school or not. It looks like everybody said you need to teach yourself when you in the program and the professors are pretty much useless

That's why I am still deciding whether I should attend the school or not. It looks like everybody said you need to teach yourself when you in the program and the professors are pretty much useless
Where else have you applied? I accepted back in February. I heard that too but I mean, you can only learn so much from therapeutics because it's all about apply the mechanisms and not so much memorization. I hope that if I work hard and study smart that I can make it through the program.

Where else have you applied? I accepted back in February. I heard that too but I mean, you can only learn so much from therapeutics because it's all about apply the mechanisms and not so much memorization. I hope that if I work hard and study smart that I can make it through the program.
I applied to UB and UNE. Got reject by UB. UNE is a four years programs. I want to finis a year early that's why I chose mcphs. I am kinda regret my decision now because I don't want come out knowing nothing after 3 years with 100k debt. Do you have fb? We can probably get to know each other if I decide to attend. I really need to find a study partner lol

I applied to UB and UNE. Got reject by UB. UNE is a four years programs. I want to finis a year early that's why I chose mcphs. I am kinda regret my decision now because I don't want come out knowing nothing after 3 years with 100k debt. Do you have fb? We can probably get to know each other if I decide to attend. I really need to find a study partner lol
I applied to Northeastern, UNE, and WNEC. Got accepted to all but Northeastern because the program was already full. I agree, I do hope I learn something and know how to apply myself. Yes, I heard study partners are great. I do have a Facebook. Is there a way to private message so my Facebook doesn't go public haha..

I applied to Northeastern, UNE, and WNEC. Got accepted to all but Northeastern because the program was already full. I agree, I do hope I learn something and know how to apply myself. Yes, I heard study partners are great. I do have a Facebook. Is there a way to private message so my Facebook doesn't go public haha..
I sent you a private message. Check your inbox.

Hi, if someone could help me out please. I got accepted to MCPHS Worcester and south university pharmacy school in savannah, georgia. they are both 3 year programs but south is on a quarterly system. the cost of attending would be roughly the same for both schools but MCPHS offered me 7000 dollars a year if i maintain a 2.7 gpa. so going to mcphs would save me a total of over 21000 dollars. however all the reviews are saying not to even consider mcphs but most of them are really old, as in 8 years ago. so, if you are current students at mcphs if you could please tell me if i should consider mcphs. i really like south, it is a really small school ( as in one building) and the class size is 95 students. any replies are appreciated. thanks!