Current residents / past residents - when do you start job hunting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thephoenician88

wat.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point in the residency do you start? Now?

Members don't see this ad.

Our PGY2's have already been interviewing for positions. Our PGY1's are either going through the match, early committing, or already hunting and have been for more than a month. I think if you haven't started hunting, you might be behind the pack.

Our PGY2's have already been interviewing for positions. Our PGY1's are either going through the match, early committing, or already hunting and have been for more than a month. I think if you haven't started hunting, you might be behind the pack.
but if you're looking at open job positions, they're open NOW. You're not available NOW. How do they work around that?

Members don't see this ad :)
but if you're looking at open job positions, they're open NOW. You're not available NOW. How do they work around that?
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. I'm applying for PGY2, and if that doesn't work out, I was going to start looking in April.

it's post pharm school all over again. you will be licensed, the jobs you see though are available now, not later

Positions posted are of two kinds, 1st - The kind that they need filled right now, 2nd- The kind they are willing to wait until you are finished with your residency. Sometimes new spots are designed this way. They know that they will probably fill it with a new residency grad, but it is approved now, so they go on and post it.

Pretty much I think I remember people last year saying they didn't start hearing back and getting offers until closer to the end of the residency.

The PGY-2s have already started having phone interviews. I had my first actual interview last week. My PGY-1 co-residents early committed to 2/3 of our PGY-2 spots for next year. If the job I'm applying for now doesn't work out I'll probably look more in the springtime. I'm location restricted and there's nothing open in my area at the moment.

I did a bunch of prelim interviews at mid year but didn't start on site interviews until march or April.

Started sending out emails and applications January (after some light networking at midyear), started in earnest around March. Didn't really hear anything of my liking until closer to Western States.

There are jobs that are need to be filled stat, others will wait if you're the right candidate, and there are others that just aren't even posted yet that will often be held if a preferred candidate is floating around finishing up residency.

Just start applying...if anything it gets you into the groove of applying and not making the mistake of going "I LOVE Kaiser" when you're really applying to somewhere else in your cover letter.

I think I posted my application/interview/offer stats in another thread somewhere around here, might be of use to you.

Started sending out emails and applications January (after some light networking at midyear), started in earnest around March. Didn't really hear anything of my liking until closer to Western States.

There are jobs that are need to be filled stat, others will wait if you're the right candidate, and there are others that just aren't even posted yet that will often be held if a preferred candidate is floating around finishing up residency.

Just start applying...if anything it gets you into the groove of applying and not making the mistake of going "I LOVE Kaiser" when you're really applying to somewhere else in your cover letter.

I think I posted my application/interview/offer stats in another thread somewhere around here, might be of use to you.
that's my question though. who are you sending these emails to? How are you reaching out?

that's my question though. who are you sending these emails to? How are you reaching out?

Either direct to people I've met throughout the year at various events put on by the local CSHP/ASHP chapter...or to actual directors and/or supervisors ONLY after chatting with someone who knows them or works for/with them who agree to "put in a word" for you. That'll usually fast track you to an interview at least.

And to fill time I would apply to online postings but my yield was very low fr those...like buying a lotto ticket, but to not do so = guaranteed 0% chance.

Either direct to people I've met throughout the year at various events put on by the local CSHP/ASHP chapter...or to actual directors and/or supervisors ONLY after chatting with someone who knows them or works for/with them who agree to "put in a word" for you. That'll usually fast track you to an interview at least.

And to fill time I would apply to online postings but my yield was very low fr those...like buying a lotto ticket, but to not do so = guaranteed 0% chance.

I started applying at midyear PPS and actually had onsite interviews with 3 places I did PPS with. I got contacted by a few places I applied to online for interviews , and ended up getting a position that I applied to online via USAj0bs (after a VA residency).

I am planning to apply for jobs in my home city soon, but I am worried that I need to take time off to go to an interview, which I am not sure if it is a good thing to do....Just wondering how you guys dealt with that? Thanks!

I am planning to apply for jobs in my home city soon, but I am worried that I need to take time off to go to an interview, which I am not sure if it is a good thing to do....Just wondering how you guys dealt with that? Thanks!
I took time off to interview for PGY-2; didn't upset the flow too much. If you have your big things almost wrapped up, you should be good to go.

Assuming that you're a resident, I would hope that your director would be in support of you taking a few days off, since they want you to succeed in finding a job post-residency. I tried to schedule interviews toward the beginning of the week, so I could use the weekend for traveling and miss fewer days of work as a result.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the reply! It was really helpful. I guess it is time to update my resume again...>_<