Current Science GPA is 2.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDRenal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
---Retaking

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strongly suggest that you repeat all F/D/C coursework.

Post-bac programs are a dime-a-dozen, so just hunt down the one that's right for you. If you're still in the military, suggest waiting until your enlistment ends, and life can be more settled. Then use the GI Bill.

You can also do a DIY post-bac at any college, including Ccs.

Many thanks for your service to our country!

Hello All,
I need help as I am stressed about my situation. I am nontraditional. I have a degree in business marketing and worked for 5 years before going back to school. I was in the military during the time I was getting my BS-Marketing.

I went back to college full time late Aug 2013 but received military orders where I had to W from Calc (only course I was enrolled in at the time). When I returned I took Stats, Sociology and Pol. Science with all A's to get admitted to my local state university for a 2nd degree Biochem(to complete med requirements).

Once I was enrolled, I got military orders again and W'd from Chem, Mol. Bio, Calc and Med. Anthropology course. I was so stressed and upset so thought I would make up for time when I returned in May.

I went a bit overboard this summer trying to make up for time and took 1 trig (recommended by student for Physics), 1 stats, 1 calc, and 1 Gen. Chem course in these last 8 weeks. Needless to say I got 1 C in Calc, B in Trig, A in Stats and B in Gen. Chem. My total science GPA is a 2.66 with these added. Courses before this"
Precalc and lab: B
College Alg and Lab: B
Bio/ Human Emphasis (took in HS at local CC): D (retook to boost to C)
I am counting the D from the Bio course.

I am getting geared up for fall 2014 to take OChem I, Calc II and Molecular Bio, but I am concerned. I now know I made a mistake by taking way too much over a summer intercession.

In making up for time I did not consider the difficulty in time management and orienting myself to the full-time student life. When I took the 3 courses in August- I returned from military orders on Sunday and started school that Monday. When I started the summer intercession I got back on a Friday and started classes that Monday. I should also mention I am a single mother of 2 so motherly duties are always top priority.

Is my GPA too low to start as a postbacc nontraditional student on the path to MD? What advice do you have for me on my grades? I do not have a pre-med adviser and I got a 3.75 for my Marketing degree (with 1 C in all my Upper Div) and a 3.1 for my AA-Gen Ed.
Should I only take 2 science/ math courses at a time? Should I apply to post bacc program to get proper advising? Most say they require at least a 2.8-3.0 GPA> any advice helps.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you Goro. You're saying I should retake Calc I from this last intercession and retake the Bio course I got a D/ C on when I was a HS student?
I was considering either retaking the Calc I or take both Calc II and III with better prep to boost my grade up.
I understand Calc I - I didn't have enough time to study for the final and it brought my grade from a B to C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with goro. With grade replacement and a military service record, you will be a strong candidate for DO admission if you can get your sGPA/cGPA over a 3.1 and do decent on the MCAT.

Agree with goro. With grade replacement and a military service record, you will be a strong candidate for DO admission if you can get your sGPA/cGPA over a 3.1 and do decent on the MCAT.
Thank you for the feedback- I would like to apply to both MD and DO --- I think I am still early in the game and may need to wait until the time is right to focus on school and EC's...just as Goro suggest ---means being out of the military.

Thank you for the feedback- I would like to apply to both MD and DO --- I think I am still early in the game and may need to wait until the time is right to focus on school and EC's...just as Goro suggest ---means being out of the military.
Ah, I missed the cGPA in your post. Yeah, you would be a reasonably strong MD candidate if you retook for As and scored a decent MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Decision made- thank you both. :) I feel a lot better rather than walking blind. Have def. learned not to over do it!!!

Strongly suggest that you repeat all F/D/C coursework.

If you're still in the military, suggest waiting until your enlistment ends, and life can be more settled. Then use the GI Bill.

You can also do a DIY post-bac at any college, including Ccs.

Many thanks for your service to our country!
Thank you for being so responsive. I am in the national guard and have received multiple orders in the last 3 years. Even the bare min. of 1 weekend/ month and 2 weeks/ yr are starting to seem like a huge issue with my goal. I work full time making >$100K / yr. when I am not on orders. Currently on an academic option, but will be resigning soon....dreams are meant to be reached:):):) Can't do it on this plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user