Current UCLA Sophomore, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PremedPri

I am a sophomore at UCLA with a 3.51 gpa and have completed most of the science prerequisite classes. I am planning on taking the mcat next year, and I currently volunteer at a hospital and looking to shadow a cardiologist within the next year. Does anyone have advice on where I am at this point, how I'm looking for med school, and what I can do to improve? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think determinedPreMed is right about raising the GPA to 3.6 because you will be in the range at a lot of schools. I do have a question though: Are you planning on taking a year off? As in graduating from school the same year you apply?

Anyhow back to your question. I think you are doing fine. My may advice would be to think long and hard about why you want to go into medicine and start pursuing actives that are related to that interest. For instance, if you are interested in heart health then shadowing a cardiologist is a step but becoming a leader in clubs on campus that advocate health eating, organizing weekend events to promote kids getting outside to play, etc, are more profound. Right now in your pre-med journey you should be thinking purposefully about engaging meaningfully in various activities that hit at the central theme of why medicine and why you in medicine in unique ways almost as if the activities seem random but in fact they are not. When it finally comes down to you writing your personal statement and describing your activities it will be so much easier because even though they will be different they will all connect back to that central theme of why you want to pursue medicine.

TL;DR: Think about why you want to go into medicine and start accumulating activities that demonstrate this.

PM if you have any Qs