Current Views of Chiropractic; What Do You See?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I refer out more than most. I'm blatantly aware of my scope as a chiro.

I wasn't talking about referring or scope. What I said applies to medicine as well. Honestly it applies to any provider who truly cares for his or her patients. It is exceedingly important to always be critical of yourself and your methods (a non personal "your") for the best of the patient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

cdm, you like to push traffic to the Chirotalk website. I'm wondering what your affiliation with that website is and whether you gain financially by pushing traffic there. The SDN Terms of Use are pretty clear regarding advertising. Perhaps you might wish to let the folks at Chirotalk know that they can pay for advertisements on SDN.

So, are you affiliated with that website and do you gain financially from traffic to that site?

cdm, you like to push traffic to the Chirotalk website. I'm wondering what your affiliation with that website is and whether you gain financially by pushing traffic there. The SDN Terms of Use are pretty clear regarding advertising. Perhaps you might wish to let the folks at Chirotalk know that they can pay for advertisements on SDN.

So, are you affiliated with that website and do you gain financially from traffic to that site?

so much butthurt

Members don't see this ad :)
Well DC2MD then I wish you lots of luck. I hope the grilling was helpful. Getting your motivation clear into something that is compatible with your interviewer can no doubt help you with interviews.

Keep your options open. Perhaps you'll discover a field of medicine you like more than physical medicine. Who knows, you might like brain surgery.

Last edited:
OB and anesthesia are my two interests.

Thanks.

:eyebrow:

That article is written to appear to have 11 references, but it's really only 4.:rolleyes: It's as shady as their single cited study. Published where again? Yeah.
It's comical to think "complex" patients are being transferred out, of where?, to the "big" CRNA only hospitals. Complicated patients go to hospitals with a NICU and a real complex OB service. That's where actual complex patients get transferred for delivery outside of the rural back woods. That's not what the article would have you believe though. You can design a study with flawed data that shows whatever you want it to show. It's proven again and again.
Of course OB anesthesia is nearly always quite benign and not intellectually stimulating or medically challenging in any way, even in actual high risk (complex) patients. Maybe you'll have to do a GA, OMG!
Call me when you want to float a swan for the crashing HELLP patient with pulmonary edema and right heart failure, or for the former hypoplastic left heart patient (the fontan kids are having babies now! :eek:) cause the CRNAs ain't gonna do it.
But they're just as safe for OB.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Granted Illdest. But to make a few bucks if she can't get into MD it's not a bad second choice.

I'm just going to bust my ass on the MCAT and hope for the best.

Just as a personal note and something for you all to think of

http://kerrchiropractic.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/organclock.jpg

before knowing about this, i would get sick and specific times of the night (usually) or upon waking.

Also ive had relief from some severe physical problems by chiropractic adjustment, gerd, nervous system problems, and weather any of you want to believe it or not there is more to healing than drugs.

Just the other day Ive began taking SamE and l carnatine(sp) for nervous system problems, painful burning all over body, chills ect.... severe mood swings after 2 days I can tell a change, it was an improvement the last 2 days but today I have severe anxiety so it could be from that it could b e a step in the healing process.

There are many things modern medicine wont recognize because there isnt a huge profit in it if you cure someone compared to keeping them alive and on meds, its sad but true, not saying the doctors feel this way but the people at the top sure do and the doctors who most of the time wanna do the right thing get sucked in and lied too.

Good luck all and if you wanna expand your horizons check out herbalism and different ways of treating disease to add to your practice

GIFSoup
Benny Hinn evangelist "faith healer"

Last edited:
There are many things modern medicine wont recognize because there isnt any legitimate evidence supporting it's efficacy ... ... not saying the doctors feel this way but the people at the top sure do and the doctors who most of the time wanna do the right thing get sucked in and lied too.
Fixed that for you.
Also huge LOL at "the people at the top" conspiracy theory.:) Do they teach that at naturopathic school?
When I'm getting a cold I have a bit of single malt whisky. On your flavor wheel, would that be fire or water?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a personal note and something for you all to think of

http://kerrchiropractic.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/organclock.jpg

before knowing about this, i would get sick and specific times of the night (usually) or upon waking.

Also ive had relief from some severe physical problems by chiropractic adjustment, gerd, nervous system problems, and weather any of you want to believe it or not there is more to healing than drugs.

Just the other day Ive began taking SamE and l carnatine(sp) for nervous system problems, painful burning all over body, chills ect.... severe mood swings after 2 days I can tell a change, it was an improvement the last 2 days but today I have severe anxiety so it could be from that it could b e a step in the healing process.

There are many things modern medicine wont recognize because there isnt a huge profit in it if you cure someone compared to keeping them alive and on meds, its sad but true, not saying the doctors feel this way but the people at the top sure do and the doctors who most of the time wanna do the right thing get sucked in and lied too.

Good luck all and if you wanna expand your horizons check out herbalism and different ways of treating disease to add to your practice

It has nothing to do with profit. This is a ridiculously misinformed statement. MANY things that modern medicine does are not profitable and are done simply for the common good. Medicine is among the only profession that does this.

The reason medicine doesn't recognize some treatments is not because of profit but because of evidence. The evidence says that people who think they are getting better on these things do so due to placebo. Medicine is not interested in taking people's money over inefficaceous treatments, making your statement about medicine, chiropractic, and profit 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

>Edit: Couldn't figure out how to embed the picture...

When u reply click the little image of a picture in a frame next to the world. Then paste the URL link into the box that comes up. Wherever the code IMG goes is where you'll see the pic. For example.

comics-WUMO-war-alternative-medicine-361050.jpeg

When u reply click the little image of a picture in a frame next to the world. Then paste the URL link into the box that comes up. Wherever the code IMG goes is where you'll see the pic. For example.

See, so easy even med students can do it.

I always go under my desk and straighten the computer power cable until the post goes through.

>Edit: Couldn't figure out how to embed the picture...

Aahhhh so that's what that button does...

Yes, and if you really want to get fancy look for animated GIF links.

tumblr_lpa6i6zoaC1r0z1wao1_500.gif

Last edited:
By jove I think she's got it.

As a current chiropractic intern, I have been lucky that my school facilitates rotations in the hospital and private practices to interact with current pnysicians. I have gotten a lot of different perspectives from M.D./D.O's. The views have been similiar depending on the specialty. What do you know about it? What do you think of it? Does it have a place?...use your doctor hat, businessman hat- or just wear your own personal hat when replying.

Most of them wont tell you honestly what they think about chiro but from my experience many MD/DO ( and healthcare professionals) think chiro are wanna-be-doctors who are trying to make quick bucks.

Most of them wont tell you honestly what they think about chiro but from my experience many MD/DO ( and healthcare professionals) think chiro are wanna-be-doctors who are trying to make quick bucks.

They won't?? You sure about that?

:naughty: (gratuitous use of new smilie)

They won't?? You sure about that?

:naughty: (gratuitous use of new smilie)

Yeah.... Most will pretty freely tell you outside of the clinic.

Inside is another story. You can get sued if you bash a patients beliefs.

Cdm guy is allen botnick. A loser ex chiro who has wasted his life bashing a profession he failed at. He likes to use his forum to beg for money so he dosent have to work since he claims to be disabled eventhough no medical doctors can find anything wrong with him. He also claims to have created a quack device he claims cured asthma. He is basically a troll with no life who apparantely has failed at everything he has ever done.he banned me from his forum cause he only allows anti chiro views. Its a big allen botnick circle jerk over there.

Who let the trolls out?

I think reviews on social media sites causing bad impressions might be a problem.

ie.

http://www.alertpresence.com/2011/03/24/a-physician-review-gone-wrong/

But that can go both ways. On Chirotalk we've gotten messages where a patient was tickled pink after they followed advice to dump a chiropractor and found better treatment in a good MD's office.

In the end I don't think it should stifle communicating what you think is in the best interest of the patient.

This dentist required an emergency patient to sign a nondisclosure agreement and is suing for $100 per day that a negative review remains posted.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/...tens-to-sue-patient-for-negative-yelp-review/

Last edited:
What would the cause of action be? Can you give an example?

What would the cause of action be? Can you give an example?

Just plain feeling slighted. This yields more lawsuits than actual malpractice does in any sense. Being liked by your patient is the single biggest factor in determining if you will get sued. Telling a patient they believe in BS means not being liked :smuggrin:. So doctors tend to have mild opinions while in the clinic.

Yes I've noticed that. However I think more intelligent patients will be smart and judge by results. I've had doctors that were like that then I challenged them and found out how pointless their care plans were and ended up leaving the office with a low opinion of them. Care rationing causes a disconnect between the needs of the patient and unrealistic one size fits all guidelines/algorithms. When I review them how friendly they are is among the least important points of the review.

Last edited:
Off topic. Moderator please move post to new thread.

Off topic. Moderator please move post to new thread.

On topic. Just pointing out your goofy extrapolations vis a vis chiropractic. You find examples of bad DC behavior and paint the entire profession in a negative light. The story I posted highlighted bad behavior on the part of one cardiology group, which if we used your reasoning would mean that all cardiologists are dirtbags (which obviously isn't true).

On topic. Just pointing out your goofy extrapolations vis a vis chiropractic. You find examples of bad DC behavior and paint the entire profession in a negative light. The story I posted highlighted bad behavior on the part of one cardiology group, which if we used your reasoning would mean that all cardiologists are dirtbags (which obviously isn't true).

One could easily make this a numbers game.

That's not true. I refer to official college teachings. national board exam standards and state law which clearly show that cases provide are illustrations not mavericks. Stop lying troll. You had your opportunity to rebut, you failed to do so. Debate lost. So what do you do? More tu quoque fallacy garbage. Go away.

Last edited:
That's not true. I refer to official college teachings. national board exam standards and state law which clearly show that cases provide are illustrations not mavericks. Stop lying troll. You had your opportunity to rebut, you failed to do so. Debate lost. So what do you do? More tu quoque fallacy garbage. Go away.

Simple question: Are there any good chiropractors?

Thoughtful article on the chiropractic debate:

If you follow the guidelines of science, the chiropractic vertebral subluxation theory appears to be a tenuous belief system, far removed from a legitimate theory based on accepted knowledge that can be studied or explained. When I was being taught subluxation theory in chiropractic college, the anatomy and physiology textbooks I studied led me to question subluxation theory. It quickly became apparent to me that the body’s organs are innervated primarily by autonomic nerve ganglia and plexuses located outside the spinal column, supplied largely by autonomic cranial and sacral nerves that pass through solid bony openings and by preganglionic spinal cord fibers....Such subluxations have never been proven to exist....Many students enrolling in chiropractic colleges today have undergraduate degrees. How can a chiropractor with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in science subscribe to what appears to be a scientifically indefensible subluxation theory?

Long article, but worth it if you are interested in this topic.

Basically, chiropractic practice isn't all crap. Some of it, the parts not based on this "subluxation" nonsense, is legitimate physiotherapy. But in that case, why not just become a physiotherapist? Like someone said on Science-Based Medicine, "Cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy may benefit psychologically from a foot massage. But don't call it reflexology."

I can't think of one treatment that chiropractors invented which is proven to do what it claims to and is ready for prime time where you could say "Wow that's a real advance." Very sad for 117 years of existence.

I can't think of one treatment that chiropractors invented which is proven to do what it claims to and is ready for prime time where you could say "Wow that's a real advance." Very sad for 117 years of existence.

There's your non-answer.

How about your answer?

No, no, no. They're releasing nerves trapped in scar tissue, and between tissue planes. It's impeding the electrochemical nerve transmission.
Entrapment.
:screwy:

I get the humor. But it's worth pointing out that the number of fascia-related papers published has increased 5-fold in the last decade or so. In other words, there's a lot more scientific interest in figuring out the fascial system than ever before. There's now an 'International Fascia Research Congress', who held their first conference a few years ago at Harvard Medical School.

I think in time we will better understand movement between tissue planes and the relationship of the fascia to the nervous system.

This paper from 2010 looked at the proprioceptive function of the fascia (in this case, ankle retinaculum), which ties it in with the nervous system.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20197652

So maybe your idea of "releasing nerves" isn't so far off the mark.;)

I used to do some pain when I was doing adult anesthesia. There's certainly something to that. I actually saw Meralgia Paresthetica frequently. The popular gaunt look combined with skinny jeans ain't helping.
I have paresthesias in my arms/hands when I'm working out all the time, usually with dips. Sometimes below my knee when I'm running. Something's clearly getting pinched. I should schedule a fascial release. Who knows, it might work.

Last edited:
I get the humor. But it's worth pointing out that the number of fascia-related papers published has increased 5-fold in the last decade or so. In other words, there's a lot more scientific interest in figuring out the fascial system than ever before. There's now an 'International Fascia Research Congress', who held their first conference a few years ago at Harvard Medical School.

I think in time we will better understand movement between tissue planes and the relationship of the fascia to the nervous system.

This paper from 2010 looked at the proprioceptive function of the fascia (in this case, ankle retinaculum), which ties it in with the nervous system.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20197652

So maybe your idea of "releasing nerves" isn't so far off the mark.;)

Pub med will cross reference nearly anything. Being published doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. You could publish in "The Journal of Thisiscrapandimadeitallup Weekly" and pubmed will still index it.

Ok I clicked the link and, facet..... I just wanna rub your nose in it like a piddle spot :(

I applaud your efforts to back claims with research but you have not fared well in doing so as long as I've been here.

\
dorito-slap-o.gif

"Did I just get b*tch slapped by a med student?" -facetguy thought bubble