Currently active duty and interested in HPSP...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfourwire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on active duty in the Navy. My service obligation ends in May of 2012. At that point I'll have served 10 years. I'm interested in determining how my pay, rank, time in service, and retirement would be handled if I enter med school utilizing HPSP.

Specifically,

1. Do I have to leave the service prior to entering med school?
2. If I remain in the service do I get paid at my current paygrade or do I take a reduction?
3. Should I expect a reduction in rank also?
4. What time will count towards retirement?

I've searched the internet looking for information about active duty utilizing the HPSP program but have been unable to find specific information about pay, rank, and retirement for people with prior service.

I'll be calling a recruiter soon to ask the questions or get in contact with someone who can answer them but appreciate any insight people might have prior to that call.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently on active duty in the Navy. My service obligation ends in May of 2012. At that point I'll have served 10 years. I'm interested in determining how my pay, rank, time in service, and retirement would be handled if I enter med school utilizing HPSP.

Specifically,

---For HPSP, i believe you must leave the service and become inactive reserve. Alternatively, you can stay active duty by attending the Uniformed Services University for Health Sciences (USUHS).

2. If I remain in the service do I get paid at my current paygrade or do I take a reduction?

---For USUHS, which is the only way to remain active duty, you will receive the pay for your current rank. Also note that USUHS time (4 years) counts towards retirement once you have reached your 20. This is not the case with HPSP.

---As a student is USUHS, you must drop to O-1. Upon graduation you will be promoted to O-3. This is the case with HPSP as well but you wont receive any pay, just a stipend.

---For HPSP, no time will count toward retirement. If you were to attend USUHS however, the 4 years of schooling is added once you attain your 20. So, if you reach 20, you have 24 years of service.

I've searched the internet looking for information about active duty utilizing the HPSP program but have been unable to find specific information about pay, rank, and retirement for people with prior service.

I'll be calling a recruiter soon to ask the questions or get in contact with someone who can answer them but appreciate any insight people might have prior to that call.

---If you are interested in remaining a career service member - check out USUHS. No tuition plus active duty pay. The big draw back for many is the long commitment but if thats not an issue for you - it would certainly sound like a great option.

Thanks.

Now, im not an expert but ive researched a lot into milmed programs so i believe my info is accurate. If someone catches something thats wrong - please correct me...answers in quote

Specifically,

No, but you will need to obtain a conditional release to participate in HPSP. If you do it prior to the end of your obligation, your obligation will be added on to your HPSP obligation.

If you go to USUHS, you will receive your current base pay, but O1 BAH. With HPSP you will get your current base pay while on 45 days of AT. The rest of the time it is the standard $1907.

Oh, yes. You will be a butter bar again. When you graduate, half of your commissioned service will be given back. So you will be a senior LT when you graduate from med school.

None while in HPSP or in USUHS. When you retire, USU will add an extra 10% to your retirement percentage.

Thanks.

see in red

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both for the info. Every bit helps.

NavyFP, Your comments coincide with the information I've found provided on the USUHS website. I couldn't find anything addressing the retention of current Base Pay though with the reduction to O-1 BAH. Any idea where I can look to get some more clarity on that subject?

Thanks.

Thanks to you both for the info. Every bit helps.

NavyFP, Your comments coincide with the information I've found provided on the USUHS website. I couldn't find anything addressing the retention of current Base Pay though with the reduction to O-1 BAH. Any idea where I can look to get some more clarity on that subject?

Thanks.

Yes, if you're prior service, you get to retain your previous base pay, as per the NDAA 2007:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?tab=summary&bill=h110-4986

see Section 524