Currently directionless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that the only reason I'm considering med school is because I can't see myself doing anything else.

In other words, my considering med school isn't a positive choice but rather a decision made through the exclusion of other possibilities. I once considered other paths but I tried. I took classes for those other paths; I got involved in volunteering for those paths and even research for the other paths - but in the end I found myself bored to tears and quit soon afterward.

I can't really think of many strong reasons I want to go to med school, but I can't currently think of any reasons I wouldn't want to.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me? How can I better find out if medicine is for me? I do plan on doing more shadowing and communicating more with existing physicians to see if they have any advice, but for now, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Literally my life . I've tried everything and it always brings me back to med
Trying shadowing that should help a lot

I will say that this happened to me when I stopped being around clinical exposure for a while, and only had to deal with lots of sciences classes that I did very well in, but was very bored with.

I had to go and shadow, read up on books, etc. in order to relight any burnt out interest in the field. That's one way in which undergrad weeds people out; it's completely unrelated to the actual practice of medicine, and students that grow incredulously bored with science courses begin to question whether medicine is the correct choice.

There usually is not a single correct choice, and sometimes, not being able to verbalize your reasons doesn't mean you aren't interested. There are plenty of things I passionately enjoy, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is about them that I enjoy. So don't try.

This may not be you, but in case it is, understand that it's a common and expected experience to encounter.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is normal. I've been b***** about this for the past month. I'm definitely still considering business (finance). I too have lost the sense of amazement with medicine. However, since I ruined my chances of getting in a top tier school the safest route insofar as income is concerned is medicine. Any other pathway for me would be too risky.

Reactions: 1 users
How'd it go w/ you concussion. You figure it out?

Scribing reassures me. I don't know how people go through undergraduate school without constant clinical experience reminding them of why they want to go into medicine.

How'd it go w/ you concussion. You figure it out?

Yes, since I don't have any residual symptoms (for now), I'm going to just power through everything. No medical withdrawals.

Reactions: 2 users
Scribing reassures me. I don't know how people go through undergraduate school without constant clinical experience reminding them of why they want to go into medicine.

Sounds good. One of my friends is a scribe. I'll have to ask him about it. Plus he seems to make good money doing it ...

Sounds good. One of my friends is a scribe. I'll have to ask him about it. Plus he seems to make good money doing it ...

It was minimum wage when I started, but we got a $2 raise recently. Very nice bonus. On overnights I make as much as much as an ED tech.

What about scribing is so beneficial? I guess it gives you clinical experience by requiring you to be there and paying attention; writing notes, etc.

It's like an introduction to medicine. Learn some anatomy, medical terms, medications, basic labs, imaging, and other stuff. Get to see what happens in an ER. Patient population, staff roles, etc. I think it's a great way to figure out if you really like medicine. It has also made me a better critical thinker to be around doctors so much. Every doctor has a different approach so you get to experience a lot of different angles in medicine. However, if you aren't a good typist, it's not a good route. Gotta be able to type well. 70+ wpm is a necessity in my honest opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's like an introduction to medicine. Learn some anatomy, medical terms, medications, basic labs, imaging, and other stuff. Get to see what happens in an ER. Patient population, staff roles, etc. I think it's a great way to figure out if you really like medicine. It has also made me a better critical thinker to be around doctors so much. Every doctor has a different approach so you get to experience a lot of different angles in medicine. However, if you aren't a good typist, it's not a good route. Gotta be able to type well. 70+ wpm is a necessity in my honest opinion.
Everything above is so true. I'm actually suffering because I don't type "properly." However, I'm teaching myself how to type correctly and I'm getting better.

I'd also say you can learn as much as you want. Some people go crazy and ask the Dr.s everything. They want to know it all. Other people don't ask any questions and it's just a job/cv booster.

Yes, since I don't have any residual symptoms (for now), I'm going to just power through everything. No medical withdrawals.

I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better, Teleo. Good luck with those finals. :)

I would like to second the sentiment expressed in this thread that clinical experience keeps me running and sure this is what I want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better, Teleo. Good luck with those finals. :)

I would like to second the sentiment expressed in this thread that clinical experience keeps me running and sure this is what I want to do.

Sounds like a plan. I'll look into clinical exp., and specifically scribing. I feel that sometimes as a volunteer I was just running around doing odd jobs rather than gaining any meaningful clinical experience. Not that I minded; at least I had fellow volunteers with me and there was some patient contact.

Also I figured that even if this semester goes to crap (worst-case scenario grades) I'll still walk out with a 3.85 cGPA. So at least I don't have to worry too much about ruining my chances for med school on top of everything else.

Paging Dr @mimelim!!!

I feel that the only reason I'm considering med school is because I can't see myself doing anything else.

In other words, my considering med school isn't a positive choice but rather a decision made through the exclusion of other possibilities. I once considered other paths but I tried. I took classes for those other paths; I got involved in volunteering for those paths and even research for the other paths - but in the end I found myself bored to tears and quit soon afterward.

I can't really think of many strong reasons I want to go to med school, but I can't currently think of any reasons I wouldn't want to.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me? How can I better find out if medicine is for me? I do plan on doing more shadowing and communicating more with existing physicians to see if they have any advice, but for now, what do you think?

How old are you?

You sound like a very young person. In my opinion you should go out for a year or two after undergrad and try different careers. Look at real estate, investments/finance, public affairs, marketing/sales, journalism, - literally do like anything and everything you can.

The thing about medicine that I've found is that without any other good reference experience, medicine will always look great: high pay and prestige, get to help people, physiology is interesting. Why wouldn't anyone want to do medicine with those attributes, right?

One question that I received during the interview trail is what would I do if I could never get into medicine...

Before you read my answer, take a second and really think on this --- seriously, what would you do??? You have to pay the bills, feed your family, etc., what would you do???

I would either join the US State Department as a foreign service officer, or take a loan from family or a bank and buy a Subway or McDonalds or open up a dry cleaning business and become an entrepreneur. All these fields have the requisite "excitement," potential for good income, intellectual stimulation, and ability to help people. If you don't have a good answer to this question, in my opinion, I wouldn't want you in my medical school class (but then again, I am just some random dude and not a medical school AdCom -- point is, you need real world experience). Hope you appreciate the 5 mins I just spent typing this response haha

Agreed with those above - clinical experience is what's going to help remind you why you actually like medicine. Just plugging through dense science courses with no current taste of actual clinical work will certainly sap your energy.

It is my clinical work as an EMT and as an Orderly which is getting me through this scourge of organic chemistry, physics and MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
i also picked medicine as it was the thing i hated the least
i've been doing my life like that so far and it seems to be going ok
i just go with whatever and work hard

i also picked medicine as it was the thing i hated the least
i've been doing my life like that so far and it seems to be going ok
i just go with whatever and work hard

Which specialty after med school? I am a big fan of yours by the way, the rants against the nurses brigade are always a pleasure to read =)!

What about scribing is so beneficial? I guess it gives you clinical experience by requiring you to be there and paying attention; writing notes, etc.
I think what others posted is true about the benefits of scribing from the perspective of someone that knows they want to be a physician. But I think there is another important layer of benefit that applies more directly to your situation. As a scribe you are literally side by side with the doc all day. You are privy to every conversation, every phone call, etc. you see what pisses off these docs and what type of circumstances make their day turn sour. And what's more, I have found that a scribe often turns into someone that the doc can vent to (whether it's about a nurse that gets on their nerves or a new annoying policy, etc). As a result, you really get quite a good picture of the negative aspects of a career in medicine. This really helped me solidify my desire to be a physician, I've seen both the good and the bad and I'm still excited to continue down this path.

I'll also recommend that you seek out an inpatient scribe position, like for a Hospitalist group. I think these are the most valuable for someone.like you who is still feeling out medicine.

Which specialty after med school? I am a big fan of yours by the way, the rants against the nurses brigade are always a pleasure to read =)!

anesthesia
i actually like most of the nurses i worked with, especially the circulator nurses and the pacu nurses
icu nurses can get a little snippy but i think they are very intelligent and competent in general
floor nurses aren't the greatest, probably because they have so much crap to do
mid levels are the worst, only surpassed by np students

I'll toss in my two cents. Being in the field has definitely been my driving force. I have been in Fire/EMS since 2004. Starting as a volunteer firefighter/EMT, and to where I am now as a paramedic. Once I started working in critical care paramedicine, my love of the medical field really came through. It is what led me to try and get into med school in the first place. Taking science classes can be grueling and tough, especially when you have a full-time job or other obligations. But when you have the perspective of working with physicians, and getting to see the real world practice of what you are learning, the information takes on a whole new spin, it is fascinating and exciting. It provides the fuel to spend that extra few hours really learning how a redox reaction occurs, or working just a few more acid base equilibrium equations, or taking that extra time to really figure out how the Krebs cycle actually works. The things that are hugely beneficial, but so tedious that most people will glaze over them. I highly, HIGHLY recommend getting some clinical exposure, think critically about how it applies to what you are currently learning, or already know, and talk to the docs, are they happy? Would they choose medical school again, knowing what they do now? Is a different part of medicine more suited to you, like PA or something similar? Ultimately it comes down to what you want to do, do you want to get done with school quickly and start taking care of patients now? Consider an allied health spot. If you truly want to be a physician, and understand the work it's going to take, then go for it, you are the only thing stopping yourself from striving to achieve that goal.