Currently in the first semester of pharmacy school and I do not like it.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Priestachio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the first semester of pharmacy school and I do not like it as much as I thought I would. I'm pretty miserable and because of that my grades are slipping. I was thinking of getting a second bachelors in computer science and then a masters afterward. I have more interest in that, however, I already have loans for this whole year. Would it be a bad move to withdraw from school right now in the middle of the semester? Is that possible to do? Will I get my loan back from the school for the second semester? Would it be best to just finish instead of withdrawing even if I don't get very good grades? I really don't know what to do. I could finish 4 years of pharmacy school but that means I would continue being miserable.

Anyone ever have similar experience or have some advice? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're probably past the date where you can drop out and get all of your tuition back, but you should find out for sure. What do you mean you have loans for the whole year? Usually loans are disbursed by the semester. Also, dropping out before the semester ends may keep those bad grades off your transcript. If you tell us what school you go to we can look at their policies.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the policy from the student handbook. Would the withdrawals show on anything needed for my second bachelor's or masters for computer science?
Students may submit their resignation from the program at any time prior to two weeks
before the beginning of final examinations for the term. Students who wish to resign must
officially communicate this in writing to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and the
Director of Student Affairs. Once approval is granted from the Associate Dean of
Academic Affairs, the School registrar will be notified to withdraw the student from all
classes. Students may not "unofficially resign" by failing to attend classes. Resignation
constitutes withdrawal from all courses being taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the opposite situation as you when I was in undergrad. I was in the professional program for computer science and then started realize how much I hated it and could not see myself working in that career path. So, I finished out the semester, started on pharmacy prereqs, applied to pharmacy school and have never looked back.

If you hate pharmacy and do not see yourself doing it for a career, then finish the semester and switch to what you do want to do for a career. Don't waste more time and money on pharmacy if you are miserable.

Reactions: 2 users
When I was in pharmacy school we each had a faculty advisor. Someone you could talk to if you needed help, were in over your head, etc. Is there someone like this you can talk to at your school? I didn't especially like pharmacy school at 1st either. I was bored out of my mind but I eventually got over it. Just had to find my niche. 20 years later I don't regret it.

Reactions: 1 user
finish semester. chalk it up, move on, and don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
oh no, but at least you have figured your interest out before having 4 years of education debt. Didn't you shadow pharmacist/techs at hospital/retail pharmacies? stay patient this semester and see if you still don't like it. If so, you'd better move out.

Reactions: 1 users
As other poster said, finish the semester and get out. I think you should again evaluate that decision because you probably made the decision to go to pharm school over engineering or CS for some reasons.