Curriculum Vitae / Resume Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummygummy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a pharmacist intern, I was taught to put my license/certifications at the bottom of my CV. Now that I am a licensed pharmacist, I have found conflicting recommendations. Should I move my pharmacy license to the first page, right under education? If so, should I also move my other certifications to the first page such as HIPPA, CPR, or Immunization? Or should I put my license on the first page and the rest of the licenses on the last page?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a pharmacist or hiring person, but the first page of your resume should highlight the experiences and qualifications that stick out and make me want to turn to the next page on your credentials. Leave your license & certs to the back.

Also, please don't put HIPAA certification on there. Each company/institution will have their own so it's just fluff on your CV/resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't put your pharmacy license on it at all--at some point if you are being considered, you will have to fill out their employment form, and it will ask for licenses there. I know some people put their license on their resume/CV, but I never have, for the same reason I wouldn't put my social security number on my resume/CV.

I would not put HIPAA on, but I would put HIPPA for sure. How many people can claim to be HIPPA certified?

Owlegrad, can you please clarify. Do you recommend or NOT recommend adding HIPPA? I do agree with Rockinacoustic that each institution has their own HIPPA so perhaps I should take it off.

I wouldn't put your pharmacy license on it at all--at some point if you are being considered, you will have to fill out their employment form, and it will ask for licenses there. I know some people put their license on their resume/CV, but I never have, for the same reason I wouldn't put my social security number on my resume/CV.
Thank you for your thoughts. To clarify, I am planning to leave out my license number but will still list that I am licensed with my state board. My question was whether to put the licensure on the first or last page.

I have always been putting my license and certifications all the way in the front, right under "Education". I list the active license I have in which states and the license numbers.

Thank you for your thoughts. To clarify, I am planning to leave out my license number but will still list that I am licensed with my state board. My question was whether to put the licensure on the first or last page.

I have never put anything about being license in my resume (and never had trouble getting a job.) Is this the new way people are being taught to do this? If I did feel the name to mention it (like it I were applying for an out of state job and wanted them to know I was already license in that state), I would just mention it in the cover letter. But if you were going to list it, I would list it with all of your other certifications--what I do with my resume, list education first, then detailed job experience, and last have an "other" section where I list miscellaneous certifications/honors/etc that weren't mention in my detailed job experience.

Owlegrad, can you please clarify. Do you recommend or NOT recommend adding HIPPA? I do agree with Rockinacoustic that each institution has their own HIPPA so perhaps I should take it off.

Don't mind him. He's the resident mod that tries so hard to be funny and fit in with the people that he ends up failing miserably.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't mind him. He's the resident mod that tries so hard to be funny and fit in with the people that he ends up failing miserably.

Ignore D1CE K, he is obviously insanely jealous of owlegrad prominent position here on the board. Owlegrad gives GREAT advice and its crystal clear, you DON'T want to mention HIPAA, but you DO want to mention HIPPA...if you don't understand the difference, you need to educate yourself quickly to avoid embarrassment before you are called in for an actual interview! I'd try to explain it to you myself, but its complicated, and its way to late for me to think straight and get it right, I'd suggest doing a google search.