cush residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious lately

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is meant by this exactly? Examples?

Members don't see this ad.

Programs where they are not difficult on the residents.

Programs where they are not difficult on the residents.

I still don't know what this means. Does anyone have specific examples of what this would look like? Don't all residencies have same/similar work hours, etc? What makes one more "cush"?

Members don't see this ad :)
my understanding of "cush" is:
1) fair amount of elective months
2) residents rarely go over the 80 hour rule
3) program attempts to guide residents through their training, reduce or at least talks about stress, etc.
4) perhaps teams rarely reach cap, but not having enough cases can also be bad for you

that's all i know about what people have discussed with me. you could think about free parking, free lunch, but that's more about compensation, not the "difficulty" or "workload"

Cush residency: Somewhere you go, don't work hard, read a lot, graduate, pass your boards and still end up as a lousy MD because your clinical training was too weak...

If you go on an interview and all the residents are playing Angry Birds on their iPhones during the tour of the wards, it's probably safe to say it's a cush residency.

my understanding of "cush" is:
1) fair amount of elective months
2) residents rarely go over the 80 hour rule
3) program attempts to guide residents through their training, reduce or at least talks about stress, etc.
4) perhaps teams rarely reach cap, but not having enough cases can also be bad for you

that's all i know about what people have discussed with me. you could think about free parking, free lunch, but that's more about compensation, not the "difficulty" or "workload"

This is a residency that actually takes care of its residents. Its probably how a good residency should be. There is nothing cush about this (except point 4, that can be classified as cush)

Cush residency: Somewhere you go, don't work hard, read a lot, graduate, pass your boards and still end up as a lousy MD because your clinical training was too weak...

If you go on an interview and all the residents are playing Angry Birds on their iPhones during the tour of the wards, it's probably safe to say it's a cush residency.

The above two could be defined as cush residencies, especially the part in bold.

Yes, any other program asides from Osler JH or UTSW.

Dude, Osler has always been cush. Don't let the hype fool you- 100 hours is a reasonable amount of hours to work a week. :laugh:

I've only heard NW being labeled as cush in previous threads. Any other residencies known for supporting residents having a life outside of work? Not advocating one or the other as I want to get as much clinical training as possible, I'm just curious as well.