Cushing Syndrom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchicago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a q:

If a pt w/ abn 24h urinary cortisol, no response to high dexamethazone suppresion test and high ACTH. What is the Dx??

I know if 24hr unrary corisol is positive=cushing
no response to dexa supp test= r/o pit adenoma
you left with lung and adrenal but high ACTH goes with lung ca or any paraneoplastic synd, right? I found the answer is Adrenal ?? can someone please explain this for me? Plus, you do NOT have other lab w/ adrenal cause; high DEAS, high 17-KS.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The results suggest lung cancer. Because an adrenal tumor would be likely to secrete cortisol itself, rather than ACTH, the high ACTH points to lung.

Got a q:

If a pt w/ abn 24h urinary cortisol, no response to high dexamethazone suppresion test and high ACTH. What is the Dx??

I know if 24hr unrary corisol is positive=cushing
no response to dexa supp test= r/o pit adenoma
you left with lung and adrenal but high ACTH goes with lung ca or any paraneoplastic synd, right? I found the answer is Adrenal ?? can someone please explain this for me? Plus, you do NOT have other lab w/ adrenal cause; high DEAS, high 17-KS.

Thanks

24-hr urine elevated = cushing's syndrome... great, now its Lung, Pitutary, Adrenal, or Iatrogenic
ACTH elevated = driven by pitutary or ectopic... as soon as teh ACTH is elevated, it ELIMINATES adrenals
High Dose Fails to suppress = NOT the pituitary

therefore... Its ectopic, most likely source is lung cancer (small cell)

there is a whole lecture about it (endo--> adrenal):

www.onlinemeded.org