CUSOM vs. LECOM-Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnitblue&blue92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both CUSOM and LECOM-Bradenton and I'm having trouble deciding which school I should send my deposit to, both are due in the next 4-6 weeks. Any help would be great, especially from current students. Below is my list of pro's and con's for each school.

CUSOM

Pro's
  • I'm an NC resident and my parents and most of my extended family live around 1.5/2 hrs away from the school. My family would be happier if I stayed close-by.
  • Every person I interacted with at Campbell seemed very nice and friendly. I sent thank-you emails to my interviewers and most of them replied back with thoughtful words of encouragement. This really makes me think that the faculty and staff really want the students to succeed here.
  • I like the fact the school is affiliated with a medium-sized university that is already has a great reputation in the community. I think this gives the school a greater sense of permanence within the community...in comparison to a free-standing medical school/health science institute.
  • I liked the pre-clinical curriculum with its mix of lab and lectures and weekly PBL sessions. Additionally, their block-system provides a one-week break in between.
  • The facilities they have are amazing ... much better than one of the state MD schools.
  • I think I would fit in well here.
Con's
  • The school does not have an established reputation yet and is not fully accredited. I feel as if in 10-15 years from now Campbell will be one of the best DO schools out there. Nonetheless, I do not know if it is in my best academic and future interests, to go to a school that is still trying to make a name for itself.
  • I'm from a more urban part of NC, so living in Lillington would be an adjustment
LECOM-Bradenton

Pro's
  • School had the highest COMLEX scores out of all the DO schools, and above average USMLE Scores
  • I loved the location of the school. It was in a nice suburban area that was very close to the beach
  • Tuition is about 10k cheaper
  • More established reputation than Campbell
  • PBL curriculum will probably make me a better doctor, because it asks students to apply basic science concepts to clinical situations. I think that the system Campbell has is preferable.
Con's
  • All of those lovely institutional policies ( strict dress code, no food/water while in class)
  • I went to the Starbucks close to campus to decompress/ kill time before my flight home and I ran into some 2nd and 3rd year students. They started to tell me how they hated the school, there was some level of corruption within the school's administration, and that the students are pretty much on their own for setting up rotations

Members don't see this ad.

I am a LECOM-B grad.

All of your pro's are spot on. It is one of the most beautiful and relaxing areas of the country. You won't have tons of time to relax in any med school...but when you do, you might as well do it on the nicest beach in the country (Siesta Key). I loved PBL and wouldn't have done my first two years any different. I can't tell you enough how important boards scores are. And at LECOM you will likely rock your boards. The mass majority of students not only passed the USMLE but were very competitive at allopathic residencies.

Your concerns about 3rd and 4th year are valid. But look it at this way. Yes...the schedule is not very rigid. But that could be an advantage. You have the opportunity to travel not only all over the state of Florida but also tons of affiliates in PA and NY (both of which are loaded with good osteopathic residencies). If you want to do nothing but stay local at a super hospital, then LECOM is NOT for you. The clinic education department will help you if YOU show initiative. I never had an issue with clinical education. A week before each rotation (especially the smaller rotation sites) I would call confirming my rotation. One of my sites (out of 24) cancelled on me...but I still had plenty of time to reschedule with the help of clinical education. Dr. Anthony Ferretti despises people who are entitled and complainers...and it just so happen that most med schools have quite a few of these types of students. He won't show you sympathy if you aren't doing your part...and I think that it is a pretty good reflection of what you will find in residency and as an attending.

Yea im having a similar issue deciding if lecom B is worth it because of the tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation except I'm still waiting to hear back from both schools about their decision. I can tell you right now that I would choose Lecom-B hands down.
4 reasons:

1. Cost
2. Board scores
3. Location
4. Reputation

Lecom B beats Cusom hands down on all 4 aforementioned factors. As applicants, we're just focused on getting in right now and that's fine but we have to also think about the similar residency application process 3-4 years down the line. Factors like school reputation and board scores can make all the difference in making sure you match into your desired residency. Residency PDs think of medical schools as feeder schools, Lecom B has been around longer so it has fed more students into residency programs. Therefore these residency PDs are more comfortable accepting a lecom b grad as compared to a cusom grad.

Medical school is hard enough, why make it harder by attending it at a location you're not comfortable with? Furthermore 10k times 4 is 40k plus the interest on top of that means that you will probably save 6o-70 k by attending lecom b.

whether you choose cusom or lecom b, you will have to make a leap of faith. Neither school will be perfect and both have pros and cons. You just have to make a informed decision and then stop wavering and go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a bit biased, but I'd go with LECOM if being close to family isn't essential for you. That said, if it's important to you, I'd probably choose that over moving far away.

There's something awesome about being within a couple hours of your family, especially if you don't know how much longer you'll have with them. That said, they can also be a distraction at a time when you need to focus more than you ever have before.

As far as your LECOM cons, honestly no school is perfect and LECOM does have a ton of rules. If you think it will be hard for you to stomach them on a daily basis, that might make your decision a bit easier. That said your pro list is pretty self explanatory.

Also, I'm not sure you can really use 3rd and 4th year at LECOM in the comparison because you have absolutely no idea what they'll be like at CUSOM, because there aren't any 3rd or 4th yr students there yet.

Bottom line, this is a personal decision, and no one here can tell you what's best for you. You need to decide which of these is more important to you. The good news is that no matter what, you'll attend a solid school and have your shot at being a physician.

My advice that I give everyone: once you make your decision and send in that deposit, don't look back. The grass is always greener, and since no school is perfect, you're going to find yourself at moments where you start to doubt your decision and wonder if you would have been better off. Don't. Either decision is a good one.

Also, I strongly recommend looking at OMNEE, the OPTI for VCOM-VA, VCOM-CC, CUSOM, & LUCOM, as well as LECOMT, the LECOM OPTI for its campuses. That may give you an idea about OGME connections the respective schools have.

Do your research, consult your friends and family, go back and visit the schools if you can, and then just follow your gut instinct and choose a school. Both schools will take you where you want to go. Once you pay that deposit, don't even think about the other schools, banish the "what ifs" from your mind.

I spoke with a doctor who went to Lecom-b then I believe did rotations in St. Pete and then residency in St. Pete. She said Lecom was a means to an end for her. The rules sucked but at the same time they were tolerable and shouldn't really be an issue. She liked the tuition, being close to family, and she said once they got into the thick of the PBL curriculum they were only at the campus like 3 days a week. She said some of the other students even kept working while in school which I wouldn't suggest but was interesting to hear.

I dunno if the curriculum has changed much since then but being at school 3 days a week sounds great.

Another doctor who I had just a 2 minute convo with was pretty enthusiastic about it and said if I ever needed help to talk to him.

Last edited:
I was accepted to cusom last cycle and was impressed. With that said, id rather go with the known and attend lecom

If there are any current Campbell students here on SND, could you possibly weigh in on my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)

Good for you. Campbell is a great school. I'm sure you will be happy there. One of the SDN members who I respect a lot, @sb247 , attends that school. He is a genuinely good guy. We can all learn a lot from him.

I am making this decision and feeling so uncertain. I live an hourish away from LECOM-B.

Anyone else facing this decision?

Anyone else facing this decision?

Aye. The clinical ed. at CUSOM appears to be pretty great, but having 0 students transcend through rotations is crazy scary. I love the location, curriculum, and seemingly solid infrastructure of the program (according to the Dean). It's a very tough decision when thrown into a mix of older, established institutions.

I went to accepted students day this past weekend. The faculty and staff there were nothing but incredibly helpful and supportive. The president of the university even said that their main focus in the upcoming years is to meet the precedent of the pharmacy and the law school and have the highest board passage rate in the nation. Therefore, the faculty are thoroughly invested in helping us succeed, unlike other places where most medical school faculty are primarily focused on research. It also helps that the facility is top-notch: the SIM lab looks incredible, and the building is brand-new with lots of natural light. My dad is an MD-PhD from Duke and he was thoroughly impressed.

That's where we differ. Shiny Sim labs and lighting mean nothing to me, I would choose a barn full of chairs if it meant I would be guaranteed quality rotations. That's what stinks about CUSOM though, even if a second year popped on here to provide feedback what can s/he say that's not immediately made speculation. Even if a positive outlook came from the mouth of the dean, they're still only words. Nothing speaks louder than someone's experience, and is why for right now choosing CUSOM is a leap of faith.

That's where we differ. Shiny Sim labs and lighting mean nothing to me, I would choose a barn full of chairs if it meant I would be guaranteed quality rotations. That's what stinks about CUSOM though, even if a second year popped on here to provide feedback what can s/he say that's not immediately made speculation. Even if a positive outlook came from the mouth of the dean, they're still only words. Nothing speaks louder than someone's experience, and is why for right now choosing CUSOM is a leap of faith.

I've shadowed and worked at places where LECOM students rotate because I live so close. I'm not sure what guarantees a quality rotation, but neither of the places (a hospital and a privately owned PCP clinic) were teaching hospitals.

You're on your own as far as setting up rotations goes, right? That's the part that scares me about LECOM.

I've shadowed and worked at places where LECOM students rotate because I live so close. I'm not sure what guarantees a quality rotation, but neither of the places (a hospital and a privately owned PCP clinic) were teaching hospitals.

You're on your own as far as setting up rotations goes, right? That's the part that scares me about LECOM.

Interesting, yeah I don't know much about LECOM's area/hospitals but my decision does includes a similarly reputable program. And I also have no idea how hard setting up rotations would be, that is something I would definitely find out though if I were considering LECOM. Personally, I'm okay with relying on some algorithm to place me for my CORE rotations. I find enough solace in scheduling electives to my liking. Which eludes to another completely unbiased factor: both LECOM and CUSOM have 3rd year electives, something I personally like to make sure of but it's value is what you make of it.

Interesting, yeah I don't know much about LECOM's area/hospitals but my decision does includes a similarly reputable program. And I also have no idea how hard setting up rotations would be, that is something I would definitely find out though if I were considering LECOM. Personally, I'm okay with relying on some algorithm to place me for my CORE rotations. I find enough solace in scheduling electives to my liking. Which eludes to another completely unbiased factor: both LECOM and CUSOM have 3rd year electives, something I personally like to make sure of but it's value is what you make of it.

You can do an international rotation at CUSOM, right?

You can do an international rotation at CUSOM, right?

Pretty sure, I can't say I'm 100% on that though.

I like that they have 5 regional campuses that house the CORE rotations, it just seems simpler than other clinical set-ups that I've seen. I remember they have like 165 rotation slots for 160 students, so you're guaranteed a relatively close area and from what I could gather most are decently sized hospitals (~500 beds). But I see value in not traveling much for 3rd year and I'm genuinely interested in primary care.