Cutting Down School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loteyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I'm a Canadian applying this upcoming cycle to the states and I want to get your opinions on this extensive school list I have. I am hoping to cut it down a bit, but if you guys/girls suggest otherwise, I will not. Please be patient with me as I have no idea about ANYTHING regarding good/bad US dental schools. I am not really interested in specializing and will be returning home in Canada to work. This list was made from looking at the 2014 ADEA guide.

My stats are
cGPA: 3.9ish
sGPA: 3.8ish
I will be getting my degree this upcoming year
Volunteering: Pretty low # of hours (maybe 200?)
Shadowing: 110 hours shadowing a general dentist
No Research or Other EC's to report
Canadian DAT scores:
RC: 25
Sci Total: 21
PAT: 21
AA: 22

Here's my list from ascending price for an OOS:
-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
-Creighton University
-Marquette University
-University of Pittsburgh
-University of Alabama at Birmingham
-Virginia Commonwealth University
-Temple University
-Boston University
-University of Michigan
-Case Western
-University of Connecticut
-University of Detroit Mercy
-Columbia
-University of Minnesota
-Midwestern - Arizona
-UofP
-University of Penn
-Nova Southeastern

I'm not interested really in research opportunities at the school or specializing.
I just want to live in a decent/safe place and get some good clinical practice/teaching.

Any schools I should remove? Add? Please provide any feedback as I am sure it will be helpful! Thanks SDN

Kase

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDN,

I'm a Canadian applying this upcoming cycle to the states and I want to get your opinions on this extensive school list I have. I am hoping to cut it down a bit, but if you guys/girls suggest otherwise, I will not. Please be patient with me as I have no idea about ANYTHING regarding good/bad US dental schools. I am not really interested in specializing and will be returning home in Canada to work. This list was made from looking at the 2014 ADEA guide.

My stats are
cGPA: 3.9ish
sGPA: 3.8ish
I will be getting my degree this upcoming year
Volunteering: Pretty low # of hours (maybe 200?)
Shadowing: 110 hours shadowing a general dentist
No Research or Other EC's to report
Canadian DAT scores:
RC: 25
Sci Total: 21
PAT: 21
AA: 22

Here's my list from ascending price for an OOS:
-University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
-Creighton University
-Marquette University
-University of Pittsburgh
-University of Alabama at Birmingham
-Virginia Commonwealth University
-Temple University
-Boston University
-University of Michigan
-Case Western
-University of Connecticut
-University of Detroit Mercy
-Columbia
-University of Minnesota
-Midwestern - Arizona
-UofP
-University of Penn
-Nova Southeastern

I'm not interested really in research opportunities at the school or specializing.
I just want to live in a decent/safe place and get some good clinical practice/teaching.

Any schools I should remove? Add? Please provide any feedback as I am sure it will be helpful! Thanks SDN

Kase

Hmmm

Let us see.....

3.8ish gpa
20+ dat

You want to become a dentist..... In the United States of America, and then run back up north....

You don't have any idea about anything....

If you want a hundred percent chance of getting accepted to a school apply to all of them, and if you are not sure of which schools to choose....

Could you be sure you can help those who need help?

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm

Let us see.....

3.8ish gpa
20+ dat

You want to become a dentist..... In the United States of America, and then run back up north....scr

You don't have any idea about anything....

If you want a hundred percent chance of getting accepted to a school apply to all of them, and if you are not sure of which schools to choose....

Could you be sure you can help those who need help?
Lol Teddy bear "Hm let us see" (scratches fluffy teddy bear head) "Run back up north" LOL Gotta love TEDDY BEAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Also uconn and Alabama I don't believe are out of state friendly at all.

Also uconn and Alabama I don't believe are out of state friendly at all.
Thanks bud. I didn't include NYU originally because it's just killer expensive! I appreciate your helpful reply

Are you not applying to any canadian schools? I have worse stats than you and i got accepted (was to my in-province school though)

Are you not applying to any canadian schools? I have worse stats than you and i got accepted (was to my in-province school though)
Oh man, congrats! I'm applying to my IP (Alberta) and I'll apply to BC, UWO and Toronto as well.
I had an interview at UofA and UofT and didn't do too well, so maybe next year will go better?

I just want to get in somewhere. I am contemplating not applying to the states and just doing a few more classes to raise my GPA or doing a masters. Not even sure what to do.
Thanks for this reply.

Oh man, congrats! I'm applying to my IP (Alberta) and I'll apply to BC, UWO and Toronto as well.
I had an interview at UofA and UofT and didn't do too well, so maybe next year will go better?

I just want to get in somewhere. I am contemplating not applying to the states and just doing a few more classes to raise my GPA or doing a masters. Not even sure what to do.
Thanks for this reply.

You have a 3.8 and want to raise your GPA? :lame:

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for this reply.

Apply to sask next year (if you'll have a four year degree) they might change to a 4-year degree requirement next year (from 3 years) and that gives everyone who meets that requirement a huge advantage. This year they changed from 2years to 3 and thats the only reason i even got an interview (b/c applicant numbers were down). The year before my 86% average didnt even get me an interview. Pm me if you want some links to really useful interview prep stuff.

Oh and one more thing..,
Why do you guys need another first overall pick? I really wanted the leafs to get mcdavid haha

You have a 3.8 and want to raise your GPA? :lame:
Yeah man, unfortunately some schools in Canada you need a 3.9+ with an A being a 3.9 and and A+ is a 4.0... Sucks! I know I sound like a total nerd but I gave up playing hockey and a lot of my friends to do this. Hopefully it's worth it.

if you are looking for a "safe" place to live while you are in school, I would cross off Temple, UDM, Case, possibly Pitt. All of those schools have pretty good clinical reputations, though, as far as I remember.

if you are looking for a "safe" place to live while you are in school, I would cross off Temple, UDM, Case, possibly Pitt. All of those schools have pretty good clinical reputations, though, as far as I remember.
Thanks man. I only ended up applying to 6 schools in the states. I ruled all of those out haha for that exact reason.