CV for private pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Real Name

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year resident at a big name hospital and will be doing a cyto fellowship at another big name institution. I would like to end up at a private practice. I am wondering what kind of things on a CV would be attractive to private practices. Would doing a lot of research be a plus or a minus?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year resident at a big name hospital and will be doing a cyto fellowship at another big name institution. I would like to end up at a private practice. I am wondering what kind of things on a CV would be attractive to private practices. Would doing a lot of research be a plus or a minus?

Unfortunately, you will lack the most important item for your CV--experience.
Having been a hiring partner in PP (now retired) none of us gave a shi* about research. That may be useful for academia.

Mike,

I think you are wrong there. IF the research was into say "Making more money" so you can help pay for your salary, then it be worth something. Otherwise, yes it is about as worthless as a barrel of monkey nuts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the big name helps other than that it is all about the interview and how you vibe with people. A great guy from a "top 5" is going to have the edge on a great guy from "random rural state medical center".

But like mike said, 9 times out of 10, you can beat real world experience.

Research won't be a minus, but it doesn't add much for private groups as you won't really be doing much if any research in PP. The name will help, but connections will help the most. Coming from a big name place just make sure you have some people you have worked closely with that will make phone calls for you and open doors for you. My residency and fellowship locations opened doors for me, but I got my job because someone picked up the phone and sold me as a great candidate for the practice. Make sure you have someone who would do the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Research won't be a minus, but it doesn't add much for private groups as you won't really be doing much if any research in PP. The name will help, but connections will help the most. Coming from a big name place just make sure you have some people you have worked closely with that will make phone calls for you and open doors for you. My residency and fellowship locations opened doors for me, but I got my job because someone picked up the phone and sold me as a great candidate for the practice. Make sure you have someone who would do the same.

Being a fan of the ICP helped you more than anything.

Thank you all for the advice!

I would add to this that going to a name place gets you recommendations from FAMOUS people your employers will know or at least recognize. Furthermore, they may think your training was better and you are probably smarter since you matched to a name place. This is especially true if they went to name places as well and are snobs about it.

Good references and a good reputation are probably the most important things, if you don't have experience. Research is not really important, although it can make you more noticeable. Not nearly as important as in academia. Also important is a willingness and ability to do several things. If you say you're a GI pathologist and you're only going to do GI pathology and not any cyto or heme or CP then you're not going to be as successful.

It's an extremely random process. You need to get as much of your paper as possible out there and you'll get a hit.