CV - listing poster presentations (presenting someone else's poster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n3xa

"the anchor"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, there's a small undergraduate research conference this weekend and I offered to put up and present a fellow colleague's poster, stand by it, and talk since she is now out of state and does not have the funds to fly back to Chicago and present it herself. She's cool, we're cool, karma points, whatevs.

Anyway, should I list it in my CV? Can I? I have no idea. Thanks in advance. Yes, I searched before posting. I is familiar with internets. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Are you listed as an author anywhere on the poster? If so then I'd say it's ok to list.

Last edited:
Good question. Looking into that right now. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes.

should I list it in my CV?

Based on what you've told us, I don't think so. Presenting a poster of your own research at a national conference for professional researchers is cool because it's the culmination of a research project and it shows you're working at the level of "real" research. But presenting someone else's research at a regional conference for undergraduate students really is not that impressive in three different ways.

If someone has seen your CV and asks for more detail, what are they going to think after you've explained the situation to them? I wouldn't do it.

Yes.

Based on what you've told us, I don't think so. Presenting a poster of your own research at a national conference for professional researchers is cool because it's the culmination of a research project and it shows you're working at the level of "real" research. But presenting someone else's research at a regional conference for undergraduate students really is not that impressive in three different ways.

If someone has seen your CV and asks for more detail, what are they going to think after you've explained the situation to them? I wouldn't do it.

Thanks.

So, I didn't end up listing it anywhere on my CV or my AMCAS/AACOMAS, but I did receive a lovely thank-you note with some kind words in my mailbox this weekend for helping a student out, which really wasn't anything special aside from picking up her poster from UPS.

It's been a particularly taxing week for reasons that I can't or won't get into on the Internet(TM), but needless to say it's nice to know that you're not a complete monster.

but needless to say it's nice to know that you're not a complete monster.

2264116.gif

So, there's a small undergraduate research conference this weekend and I offered to put up and present a fellow colleague's poster, stand by it, and talk since she is now out of state and does not have the funds to fly back to Chicago and present it herself. She's cool, we're cool, karma points, whatevs.

Anyway, should I list it in my CV? Can I? I have no idea. Thanks in advance. Yes, I searched before posting. I is familiar with internets. :p

Do not put it in your CV if you didn't do the research yourself.

Do not put it in your CV if you didn't do the research yourself.

So, I didn't end up listing it anywhere on my CV or my AMCAS/AACOMAS, but I did receive a lovely thank-you note with some kind words in my mailbox this weekend for helping a student out, which really wasn't anything special aside from picking up her poster from UPS.

It's been a particularly taxing week for reasons that I can't or won't get into on the Internet(TM), but needless to say it's nice to know that you're not a complete monster.

:smuggrin:

:p

Posting pre-coffee?

Here's a follow up/similar question: What if you weren't involved at all in the abstract that you're making a poster presentation for? I've recently started this volunteer position at a hospital, and I was assigned an abstract for which I have to make a poster presentation that will be submitted for the 2015 APA conference. I'm just confused because I had nothing to do with these papers (definitely no authorship), so I would assume I had no right to present them in a conference, let alone list that experience on my CV. I'm also not even sure if I will indeed be presenting it, or if the author(s) with just take the poster presentation I created and present it themselves. Can anyone offer some advice/knowledge on this?

Posters and papers are different. If you're making a poster with the information on the paper, you can be listed as an author on the poster even if you weren't on the paper. I would check with the PI if they're okay with that. If so, you can list it, but it's really not a big deal in terms of achievements. i.e. no committee is going to be wowed that you were 10th author on a poster.