CV pet peeves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your CV pet peeves? For me, two that seem tacky are: a) listing "under review" and "in prep" manuscripts as publications (i.e., just putting them under the "publication" or "journal article" heading with no distinct subheading) and b) listing book reviews under the same heading as peer-reviewed articles. I tend to be more bothered by them the more advanced a person gets, so I notice them a lot more coming from a faculty member than from an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

+1 for the two you've listed, future. Let me see if I can think of any others...I'm not very big on including individual coursework on a CV, as I feel that just muddles things up and makes them unnecessarily lengthy (especially if the "courses" are basically weekend seminars on an exceedingly in-depth topic, such as neuropsychological assessment, and the CV makes it seem that the individual is purporting to have advanced competency in this area). I'm also not a huge fan of a "measures administered" section, as I feel anytime this sort of information is appropriate (e.g., internship), the application itself will provide space.

And to build on future's pet peeves, I get a bit irked when folks fit all of their scholarly work (e.g., posters, encyclopedia entries, book chapters, etc.) under a single heading. If you "only" have one peer-reviewed pub, that's fine; I'd rather see it in its own section than lumped together with posters and presentations.

Honestly, the only pet peeves I have are outrageously poor formatting or when folks clearly haven't updated it in years and I can't find the information I'm trying to get from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the only pet peeves I have are outrageously poor formatting or when folks clearly haven't updated it in years and I can't find the information I'm trying to get from it.

Updating my CV is one of my favorite procrastination methods.

Reactions: 4 users
Quite honestly, the same Times 12-point formatting (especially when you can tell it's a poor carbon copy of some google-searched template or someone else's CV) is becoming a pet peeve of mine. I'd rather see a plain text file, at this point.