CVM Insight - Wildlife Conservation and Medicine (VMRCVM vs. OSU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyuaxWolf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm having the hardest time trying to decide between VMRCVM (In-State) and OSU (Out-of-State) and am hoping you guys can provide some assistance! I've been looking through the forums all night and have resorted to making a pros and cons list. At this point, my main concern is whether VMRCVM would be suitable for pursuing my interest: wildlife conservation and One Health (though I haven't really delved too much besides a general idea). I'm aware that OSU has a partnership with The Wilds and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, but what VMRCVM has to offer (especially because they do tracking and I'm not sure where I'd fit in!).

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to VMRCVM, but I did do an externship at the Wildlife Center of Virginia which is about 2 hours away. I know that many VMRCVM 4th years do preceptorships at WCV. I don't know that they have an exotics department, but when I was at WCV, we took in a couple of birds that were triaged at the school prior to being sent over to us. Just an extracurricular thing you could look into.

Hey, I'm really sorry to be reviving an old thread, but I just saw your note in my inbox and thought I'd respond here. I'm sure you're not the only one with this question so at least it'll be good fodder for future folks to consider.

I can't speak to OSU's programs, but in terms of wildlife conservation, VMRCVM's in-house program is lacking. There is an elective offered in Wildlife Medicine (just one), and while it certainly does its job in terms of introducing you to the basics of triaging wildlife (including basic clinical skills like setting broken wings, placing intraosseous catheters, and the like), it's just one class. The Public Veterinary Practice Club (PVPC) contains a Wildlife Ward which is virtually completely student run. You get a pager for a week and you're responsible of handling any incoming wildlife calls - whatever they may be! It's pretty much up to whomever is on call to determine the direction the case will take - diagnostics, treatment, release, etc. It's pretty autonomous, and it certainly provides some serious hands-on learning. That having been said, we don't really get that many wildlife calls - and I mean it when I say it's pretty autonomous. If you're comfortable in a situation where you're considered the expert (not a lot of the clinicians have experience working with wildlife, and they'll assume you know what you're talking about) with very little formal training going in to it (because that wildlife medicine elective I mentioned isn't offered until 2nd year), then you'll probably find it quite exciting.

That's it for in-house opportunities for Wildlife. As variegata mentioned, there are definitely some external opportunities available. The Wildlife Center of Virginia is actually incredible. I have to admit I've never been to a wildlife medical center before, so I've got nothing to compare it to, but man WCV floored me when I first stepped in! They've got a full surgery suite, a radiology department, an entire ward devoted to reptiles, an extensive collection of flight barns, and even an area dedicated to bears. I mean it's really cool. Also, if you set up your track right, you can wiggle some extra external blocks into your 4th year schedule, which will allow you time to go pretty much anywhere in the country.

As far as One Health goes, there are some major opportunities to get involved with that at VMRCVM. We offer a combined DVM/MPH program (which I'm doing) that focuses on One Health, there's a One Health club in the making (which is looking to engage students not only in the veterinary school but also on the undergraduate campus, in the Environmental Health department, and at the two other medical schools Virginia Tech hosts - the osteopathic folks and the MD kids), and our new Dean is a huge proponent of the One Health movement. In fact, one of his first programs at VMRCVM was an in-house symposium recognizing student contributions to One Health.

Finally, the last thing I can say - and I'm sure you're going to get tired of hearing this by now- is cost is definitely worth considering. Again, I don't know OSU's strength in either of those departments, but a DVM is a DVM regardless of electives. Clinical experience comes from opportunities you pursue outside of the classroom. If OSU's extracurricular opportunities are worth the out-of-state tuition, by all means it should make your list. But if not, if you'd be just as well off doing summer internships and 4th year clerkships while going to VMRCVM, it's probably worth saving yourself the few thousand dollar difference (not to mention the compounded interest) and going to your in-state instead.

Hope that's helpful, so sorry for such a late response.