CVS and Christmas pay for pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronaldo78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does CVS pay their pharmacists triple pay for working on christmas day?

Members don't see this ad.

For FT pharmacists, you get double time for hours worked between 6PM the 24th and until the end of the 25th. In addition, you get 8 hours of holiday regardless if you work or not.

So if you do a 8 hour shift, its triple time in a roundabout way. But you get 8 hours of pay regardless of whether or not you work...

I think it's region specific. All we get is 8 hours regardless if we work or not. Nothing more for working.

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS is so cheap. This is how the Christmas pay works.. There are 4 scenarios:

1) You work exactly 8 hours on Christmas. You are getting paid those 8 hours PLUS 8 hours holiday pay. This 8 hours holiday pay is considered "double pay".

2) You work less than 8 hours on Christmas. For example, you work 5 hours on Christmas. Then you are getting paid those 5 hours you worked PLUS 8 hours holiday pay.

3) What I did.. You work more than 8 hours on Christmas. For example, you work a 12 hour shift on Christmas. Then you are getting paid your 12 hours you worked, plus 8 hours holiday, PLUS 4 extra hours holiday. Say if you worked 15 hours on Christmas, then you are getting paid the 15 hours you work, plus 8 hours holiday, PLUS 7 extra hours holiday.

4) You didn't work at all on Christmas. You simply get paid 8 hours holiday on your check for staying home.

1) You work exactly 8 hours on Christmas. You are getting paid those 8 hours PLUS 8 hours holiday pay. This 8 hours holiday pay is considered "double pay".

2) You work less than 8 hours on Christmas. For example, you work 5 hours on Christmas. Then you are getting paid those 5 hours you worked PLUS 8 hours holiday pay.

3) What I did.. You work more than 8 hours on Christmas. For example, you work a 12 hour shift on Christmas. Then you are getting paid your 12 hours you worked, plus 8 hours holiday, PLUS 4 extra hours holiday. Say if you worked 15 hours on Christmas, then you are getting paid the 15 hours you work, plus 8 hours holiday, PLUS 7 extra hours holiday.

4) You didn't work at all on Christmas. You simply get paid 8 hours holiday on your check for staying home.
Well that's not too bad. So you get 8 hours holiday no matter if you work or not. If you do work, it's all double time, although that free 8 hours sort of gets absorbed into the double time.

I didn't even get anything because apparently only full-timers get that. I was told that if you're a part-time, you'd have to work at least a year in order to qualify, and now they're telling me otherwise. I guess it depends on the district.

CVS is so cheap.
I think they could go even cheaper. If the holiday is not your normally scheduled day, they could ask you to take a different day in the same pay period off instead. That way, you only work 72 hours, still get plus 8 hours holiday pay, but only total 80 hours of pay.

I got 12 hours regular...12 hours holiday double pay...and 8 hours for the holiday itself. Plus 3 hours of double time for Xmas Eve.

Maybe my region just sucks less than yours.

Your right, your region does suck less than mine. In my region, if you are a night pharmacist, they just eliminated the $5 night differential if you work days. So working nights you get the differential, and working days on your off week you don't get it anymore. Sucks a*s*s. But watch, it starts with my region, and will eventually move on down the line.

Your right, your region does suck less than mine. In my region, if you are a night pharmacist, they just eliminated the $5 night differential if you work days. So working nights you get the differential, and working days on your off week you don't get it anymore. Sucks a*s*s. But watch, it starts with my region, and will eventually move on down the line.

Why should you get paid night pay for working during the day? Isn't the differential an incentive to work the less-desired shift?

No, $5/hr extra is not incentive enough to work the night shift for an entire week.

Reactions: 1 user
The incentive mentioned was for working *days* . The incentive was to get night people to work on their weeks off , in order to hire less staff. Personally I'm not coming in on my weekoff without overtime pay or threat of being fired

And the incentive is not for working nights. It is to make up for the bad lifestyle of being an overnight RPh. To work a day shift on your week off, you should be compensated with that differential. CVS doesn't get it, and thats why management sucks a*s*s. Everyone knows CVS management sucks. It's terrible. Idiots running the company.

I work for these idiots though because I like getting paid a lot. Also, don't have to take work home with you.

Does cvs pay for holiday for someone new to the company (1 month employment?)

And the incentive is not for working nights. It is to make up for the bad lifestyle of being an overnight RPh. To work a day shift on your week off, you should be compensated with that differential. CVS doesn't get it, and thats why management sucks a*s*s. Everyone knows CVS management sucks. It's terrible. Idiots running the company.

I work for these idiots though because I like getting paid a lot. Also, don't have to take work home with you.
I don’t think so. I got hired for overnights which gave me a 10% base salary bump and anyone who worked overnight shifts got a $5/hr differential. Those are two separate financial incentives and only one applied to day shifts I picked up.