CVS changing overnight premium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samuricool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about trying overnight recently. The extra money was a huge draw for me. Heard that they are changing it across the board. My area use to be an extra $5 an hour for the whole shift. Now I hear it's going down to $2 and only for hours worked after 12am.

I wonder if this has to do with impending tricare losses.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the easy slower suburb cvs 24/7 stores got cut back to 8-9pm hours or 8am-midnight back in December 2015. Walgreens did similar cut backs year before. Maybe the cvs/target merger had something to do with wanting to cut back hours to increase profitability but I doubt it

Funny how overnight pharmacists have to take a pay cut while larry merlo and all the crooks at the top get even bigger bonuses. And then they wonder why no one picks up extra shifts or volunteers to do their stupid flu clinics anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never got a $5/hr bonus and I did it from 2011 to the great 24 Hr store Holocaust of 2015. They just had my base pay high as hell.

Reactions: 1 user
CVS is looking for ways to increase their profit as revenue growth has slowed.

Pharmacists are a big target for obvious reasons. Where are you guys going to go?

Cuts in healthcare benefits, cuts in store hours. Expect 401 k to be next. Easy target because the ones who care about 401 k are the older pharmacists. Where are they going to go?

CVS is looking for ways to increase their profit as revenue growth has slowed.

Pharmacists are a big target for obvious reasons. Where are you guys going to go?

Cuts in healthcare benefits, cuts in store hours. Expect 401 k to be next. Easy target because the ones who care about 401 k are the older pharmacists. Where are they going to go?

They could probably go to LTC if they really wanted.

How many jobs are in LTC vs retail?

I have no idea, but Omnicare and Pharmerica always seem to be hiring people. And people seem to be leaving CVS all the time for either LTC or some sort of independent seemingly one after the other.

*cough*

Even when I worked overnight you only got the premium pay after midnight, so that part is old news. Lowering the premium by a few dollars seems petty but seeing as how the demand for those jobs is much, much greater than the availability I guess it is no surprise.

The older rphs will be grandfathered in at current rate I assume. In my district the older ones made $5/hr but new ones made 4.50/hr extra.

I have no idea, but Omnicare and Pharmerica always seem to be hiring people. And people seem to be leaving CVS all the time for either LTC or some sort of independent seemingly one after the other.
When I worked LTC during school, people were literally leaving to go back to retail. The grass doesn't seem much greener on the other side especially with the pay cut.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

The older rphs will be grandfathered in at current rate I assume. In my district the older ones made $5/hr but new ones made 4.50/hr extra.

This does not seem to be the case. I asked my friend and he said everyone was getting cut. He said he even asked if they could grandfather him in or raise his base and it was a flat no.

Hm that's too bad. Maybe this will vary by district? I heard some districts still do the "work 70 hours but get paid for 80 hours" concept.

When I worked LTC during school, people were literally leaving to go back to retail. The grass doesn't seem much greener on the other side especially with the pay cut.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I'm curious what the typical LTC gig pays. I switched from retail to LTC and they raised my salary by the equivalent of $8/hr.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Same in my district; however, differential is for all overnight hours (not just midnight-7am). CVS sure has taken a liking to screwing around with overnight hour pay differential; seems like it has changed 3 or so times the past year in terms of which hours count overnight vs. regular. Don't fat cats catch type 2 diabetes eventually?

i used to get night rate for all the hours, not just after midnight. but then 2014 the new district supervisor decided to change to pay only for hours after midnight. that went on for 1.5 years.... then towards september 2015 we spoke with the union rep. after reviewing, the contract stated that cvs was to pay all the hours, not just after midnight..... the result was the night pharmacists in our district who took action, went to the union to file complaint, got retro pay for those 1.5 years.. the stupid district supervisor was of course no longer with us, step down or terminated. whatever, so we cannot curse at him.

I hear the big LTC is hell to work for around here. Hard to get a break as a pharmacist in this market.

Reactions: 1 users
When does the change occur?