CVS Cutting RPH Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There was nothing mentioned about shift splitting at the recent engagement meeting and it hasn't been brought up here.

Did your store hours change or just the Pharmacists?
No the store hours didn't change. However, around 2 years ago they had changed the pharmacy opening hours to 8am - 9pm on weekdays

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone talks about the successful independent. Starting from scratch, what is the cost to get one going and how many years until you see a profit?
As with anything in life, it varies upon a number of factors.1) location 2) population 3) your "bedside manner" 4) your ability to marke , etc...

Your first stop should be here:

http://www.ncpanet.org/conferences-events/ownership-workshop/pharmacy-ownership-workshop

Your second stop should be working for some independents as relief

step#3: getting with a broker to see existing stores for sale (usually a safer step into ownership)

The job saturation strikes again. If you don't want to work for CVS, I am sure one of these FL pharmacists will:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-scripts-plans-to-layoff-390-in-tampa/2177748

This actually occurred back in April and affected Pharmacists in Ohio and Texas as well. All in all , about 500+ pharmacists lost their jobs in these 3 states. I personally know a pharmacist affected by the layoffs in Texas....As further insult, the Express Script metrics for those who were kept are now 300, (YES THREE HUNDRED) RXs PER HOUR when working the eprescribe Q at their mail order in DFW.

When you are separated from the financials of your Profession, it's not really your profession. With metrics evolving to absurd levels, it's going to be up to whistle blowers at the chain stores and at these mail orders to bring light to the unsafe practices being ushered in by NON PHARMACIST MBA BEAN COUNTERS.

Just make sure you do it anonymously as there will be many unemployed pharmacists waiting in the wings to perform your job; but if you remain part of the broken process without bringing light to it, you will essentially have played an active role in your own unemployment as you will inevitably wind up not meeting some metric at some point or making an error in an effort to meet these absurd metrics at some time in your professional career.

As with anything in life, it varies upon a number of factors.1) location 2) population 3) your "bedside manner" 4) your ability to marke , etc...

Your first stop should be here:

http://www.ncpanet.org/conferences-events/ownership-workshop/pharmacy-ownership-workshop

Your second stop should be working for some independents as relief

step#3: getting with a broker to see existing stores for sale (usually a safer step into ownership)

Do you have an example you.could talk about?

I can confirm that we have had to move to having more split days. We have not been told in my market that it must be three (yet), but we have been told Monday is mandatory split. There is no overlap so it seems pointless to me...

There is overlap, I think the point is that both pharmacists arrive early / stay late and provide free overlap coverage.

Reactions: 1 user
This actually occurred back in April and affected Pharmacists in Ohio and Texas as well. All in all , about 500+ pharmacists lost their jobs in these 3 states.

Yup, the ones, who are thinking the saturation won't affect them because they live in some rural part of the country or in middle management, are just fooling themselves. Unless your signature is on the paycheck, this saturation will affect you too. It is just a matter of time.

As far as the saturation goes, students at these new schools always think CVS,Rite Aid, Wal Mart etc. are being so nice sponsoring their schools and events. It is in their interest to open as many schools as possible and drive down salaries.

Unless your name is on the paycheck you will be affected. There will be some new pharmacist with 200k in debt willing to do your job for 25$ an hour because they are that desperate.

These fancy clinical jobs in hospitals that provide services you can't bill for? Yulp they'll be affected too as further budget cuts come.

Unethical pharmacists should be reported.

Your assumption that employee pharmacist wages are going to maintain their current levels with the onslaught of new grads coming by 2018 is a little naive in my opinion.
Now would be an excellent time for you to jump into ownership as it will likely be more profitable as a pharmacy owner to be paying pharmacists $40 and working 1-2 days per week as the owner as opposed to working 40 hours a week as a fire-able employee , subjecting yourself to growing metrics, shrinking tech hours and the whims of a non pharmacist MBA manager. Not to mention the personal satisfaction and respect that comes with being not just a pharmacist but an owner of a million dollar business. When **** hits the fan, pharmacy owners will be in a much better position than employee pharmacists to weather the coming economic pressures of a pharmacist surplus.

But don't simply take my word for it:

http://www.drugchannels.net/2013/11/profits-rebound-for-pharmacy-owners.html
The news is pretty good for pharmacy owners. Here are my observations from crunching the Digest's latest numbers. Full details below.
  • An independent pharmacy's overall margins and per-prescription profits increased in 2012.
  • The average pharmacist owning a single pharmacy earned about $245,000 in 2012—up 5% from 2011. Owners of multiple pharmacies earned much, much more.
  • The NCPA estimates that the total number of independent pharmacies continues to hold steady.

I don't doubt that compensation will be leveled off, or decrease. Anybody can see that. Lower insurance reimbursements, government healthcare, more paperwork (the audits from Medicare part B drives me nuts), etc will pressure profit margins for chains.

And while I am interested in independent pharmacy, I believe that it is in my best interest to diversify. I plan on investing my money in another field....

The idea is I am going to put in 10-15 good years. I believe I will always have a job as a pharmacist (because I am good at what I do), and I have experiences that new graduates wont have. In the mean time, I will invest my income..

I don't need a lot to live.

Reactions: 2 users