CVS Intern Leave of absence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillhappy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible for CVS pharmacy interns to take a leave of absence? As interns I was always confused about what I can or cannot do since I don't think I am considered a regular employee. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a leave of absence from their internship temporarily due to a personal issue? I just wanted to get an idea before I approach my district manager (the intern coordinator has quit suddenly and so I need to deal directly with my DM) but she is a very strict woman, so I don't know how she'd take it if I asked for a leave of absence if it's not generally done.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How long of a leave of absence are you talking about? You should be active for 180 days - if you want a longer leave - then they have something called back to school. Ask your DM but I wouldn't quit if I can help it because the economy is so bad.

What do you mean by "active"? Like working active? Do you know where I can find out more about this "back to school"? I don't think I've seen this in any of the handbooks, maybe I should give HR a call...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if it's possible for CVS pharmacy interns to take a leave of absence? As interns I was always confused about what I can or cannot do since I don't think I am considered a regular employee. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken a leave of absence from their internship temporarily due to a personal issue? I just wanted to get an idea before I approach my district manager (the intern coordinator has quit suddenly and so I need to deal directly with my DM) but she is a very strict woman, so I don't know how she'd take it if I asked for a leave of absence if it's not generally done.

Thanks!

Are you in Long Isand? DM Domenica?

In my market, interns must work one day every 28 days. Fail to do so and you are put on a return to school leave of absence. You can come back anytime, as long as there is a store that you can work in.

I'm not sure if it goes for interns, but my store in general (front end, pharmacy clerks, etc) must work one day in each calendar month. When we have people who go to college out of town but want to remain on the books for vacations, they end up working Sept 30th, Oct 1st, Nov 30th, Dec 1st so that way they're good for the whole month, and have a big gap in the meantime.

It's cool they can do that. I asked about that, but I was told if I go longer than 28 days w/o working the return to school would be automatic. :(

I'm not sure if it goes for interns, but my store in general (front end, pharmacy clerks, etc) must work one day in each calendar month. When we have people who go to college out of town but want to remain on the books for vacations, they end up working Sept 30th, Oct 1st, Nov 30th, Dec 1st so that way they're good for the whole month, and have a big gap in the meantime.

CVS HR said you must receive a paycheck from them at least once every 6 paying periods. Since we get paid twice a week, I think that's once every 120 days.

Expect them to try to push you out the door in some fashion. CVS has no use for workers they consider weak and feeble. This company is all about burn and churn. They will use some sort of metric to write everyone up in the pharmacy and start firing people.