CVS night shift (FT) pharmacist salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAtoPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what CVS night shift pharmacists make? A position was just posted for one to work nights in my area, so I was just wondering. Do they really make more than dayshift pharmacists?

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what CVS night shift pharmacists make? A position was just posted for one to work nights in my area, so I was just wondering. Do they really make more than dayshift pharmacists?
Are you applying as a new hire, or transfer from day shift?

$130-$140s. Of course, they shut down half of the overnight stores last December. There is literally a waiting list in some districts. Allegedly, I'm #1 on the waiting list for my district for the next overnight position that opens up. Thank God. I miss it so much. Sure, the fact that the store I landed at is basically the most absurd three ring circus I've ever seen in my life doesn't help...but I'm truly a night person and I just spend every day off now basically recovering from the madness. I basically sit around and do nothing. It's depressing. I actually went out and did **** on my days off when I worked nights. I wasn't designed to wake up at 7AM and drive an hour to get to work...whew...

Members don't see this ad :)
Left with $63/hr after 3 years of overnight with 2 pay increases in northern NJ. Expect $120-$140 wherever you are. I would gladly take the job back, but not in northern NJ. Need to find a place like this guy WVU honestly.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't count on working an OT shift by the time you graduate.

Are you applying as a new hire, or transfer from day shift?

Actually haven't even started pharmacy school yet; was pondering whether the overnight deal was good enough to consider working for them as an intern (especially if I could intern at night).

$130-$140s. Of course, they shut down half of the overnight stores last December. There is literally a waiting list in some districts. Allegedly, I'm #1 on the waiting list for my district for the next overnight position that opens up. Thank God. I miss it so much. Sure, the fact that the store I landed at is basically the most absurd three ring circus I've ever seen in my life doesn't help...but I'm truly a night person and I just spend every day off now basically recovering from the madness. I basically sit around and do nothing. It's depressing. I actually went out and did **** on my days off when I worked nights. I wasn't designed to wake up at 7AM and drive an hour to get to work...whew...

Thanks for the info. I won't be graduating pharmacy school until 2020, so who knows if CVS will even have any overnight stores left by then?

According to Glassdoor.com, there are overnight CVS pharmacists located a few hours away from me in Atlanta who are making around $140k, but I figured the starting salary had to be closer to $130k.

Varies by region. Where I started, I got an offer for $x/hour and by signing on to do nights it became 1.1*$x/hr + ($5/HR after midnight). So a little more than 10% more than day shifts per hour, but might be fewer hours depending on how your region schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Actually haven't even started pharmacy school yet; was pondering whether the overnight deal was good enough to consider working for them as an intern (especially if I could intern at night).

You will not be interning overnight. Overnights start at the same hourly rate as all new hires. They may get up to a 10% bump depending on how badly the sup needs an overnight. You would also get +$5/HR for each hour between 12am and 7 am.

The majority of overnight stores stopped being overnight a while back. There aren't tons of positions.

Varies by region. Where I started, I got an offer for $x/hour and by signing on to do nights it became 1.1*$x/hr + ($5/HR after midnight). So a little more than 10% more than day shifts per hour, but might be fewer hours depending on how your region schedules.

Thanks, so is it correct to assume that normal/dayshift starting salary at CVS is $120k?

You will not be interning overnight. Overnights start at the same hourly rate as all new hires. They may get up to a 10% bump depending on how badly the sup needs an overnight. You would also get +$5/HR for each hour between 12am and 7 am.

The majority of overnight stores stopped being overnight a while back. There aren't tons of positions.

Yeah, I think there are only 2 24-hr CVS stores left in my area these days. I was just wondering since I saw an overnight job ad posted on Indeed.com earlier today.

Overnight differential is +5$/hour from what you would make as a daytime staff RPh but there may be regional variance. Some regions will limit overnight differential only for 12am-7am hours; you are working 5 hours as a staff & only 7 hours as a night RPh (cutbacks of course). My region was previously paying all hours as overnight differential rate...check with a DM.

Don't bank on overnight positions....Walgreens has closed almost all of their 24-hour stores in my region.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are some stores that will always be 24 hours. Harbison, G Street, and Aramingo in Philly are examples. Their 12AM foot traffic rivals that of a 1500 RX suburban store at 2PM and that's not an exaggeration.

...in other news, one day off and I'm already up past 3AM...lol...

Dang, I'm getting screwed with my salary, I need to ask for a raise!! (But I don't work big three, so that in itself is a raise)

Overnight differential is +5$/hour from what you would make as a daytime staff RPh but there may be regional variance. Some regions will limit overnight differential only for 12am-7am hours; you are working 5 hours as a staff & only 7 hours as a night RPh (cutbacks of course). My region was previously paying all hours as overnight differential rate...check with a DM.

So the overnight $5 differential was the only pay boost you got from working nights? The base salary was otherwise the same as it is for day shift pharmacists?

I wouldn't recommend going for an overnight shift right out of school. Had one friend that got it because a new store was opening up and there was a need. The Sup allowed it because my friend had been with CVS for about 7 years and had a lot of "system experience". It was absolute hell for the first 6mo. until he learned the ropes. Whether its retail or hospital, overnight positions require you to be highly capable in all aspects of your position. Not exactly suited for new grads. Works days for 1 year first and learn the ropes. There's no one to call and ask for help in the middle of the night.

Reactions: 2 users
So the overnight $5 differential was the only pay boost you got from working nights? The base salary was otherwise the same as it is for day shift pharmacists?
That's why I asked if it was a new hire or transfer from days in the first reply to your post. If you were a day pharmacist already, then yes. (may be regional)

I wouldn't recommend going for an overnight shift right out of school. Had one friend that got it because a new store was opening up and there was a need. The Sup allowed it because my friend had been with CVS for about 7 years and had a lot of "system experience". It was absolute hell for the first 6mo. until he learned the ropes. Whether its retail or hospital, overnight positions require you to be highly capable in all aspects of your position. Not exactly suited for new grads. Works days for 1 year first and learn the ropes. There's no one to call and ask for help in the middle of the night.
Was that 7 years of real experience, or working one shift every other weekend through college? I did fine as a new grad overnighter because I had 11 years of experience including being a full time lead technician at some point. If you've been a full time (or nearly full time) employee for most of 7 years, you should be fine right out of school.

I graduated in 08, got a GY position as I told my recruiter that's all I wanted or "don't call me for anything else but". Got a GY job, I did graveyard for 5 years. Job was pretty chill, you have a few hours of Netflix/pirated movie time (I brought my laptop). You do have to know everything and must be highly independent because you are by yourself. Some nights I will be doing 200 rx by myself if day time crew left a big mess, other nights avg 100-140. I picked up many OTs during my days off. Employers are begging me to pick up OTs back then. One year, I was almost breaking 250k. Now, I have to beg them to give me few OT here and there. I can't imagine doing GY again because it ruins your health insidiously. I have been working daytime as a staff rph for 3 years ever since and still making at least 170-200k average/yr (mostly due to investment income and few random OTs).

i get $65/hr night shift in the DMV area.

Yes this is true where I am. The difference in pay is negligible. It really depends on how the store is, chances are if it was a slow store they turned it into a midnight store by now. My store is crazy/stressful until midnight but after that it's alright, at least I get to eat. Some stores are crazy the entire night and make the night Rph do a ton of work that they can't finish. There are still a few slow stores still open, my colleague watches movies and has conference calls with other stores every night. I don't have time to do that.

Anyone knows CVS pharmacist starting salary in northern NJ for a DAY-shift pharmacist? I heard they pay less than the night shift pharmacist!!

Anyone knows CVS pharmacist starting salary in northern NJ for a DAY-shift pharmacist? I heard they pay less than the night shift pharmacist!!
Why are you surprised?

Was that 7 years of real experience, or working one shift every other weekend through college? I did fine as a new grad overnighter because I had 11 years of experience including being a full time lead technician at some point. If you've been a full time (or nearly full time) employee for most of 7 years, you should be fine right out of school.
No he worked more than a couple of shifts per month, but definitely not the same amount of experience that you had. Yes if you were a lead tech and had years of full time experience then your transition wouldn't be that bad, but I'm pretty sure OP has zero experience.

@Zelda15, @FarmD711 , @PAtoPharm

It must really vary by region. My base at CVS was $60/hour + $5/every hour worked of the shift. I guess that's what I negotiated back then or maybe they really needed someone but I had the $5 differential for every hour, not just between 12am & 7am. I would have never done it in that case. It was terrible anyhow. Glad I left.

@Zelda15, @FarmD711 , @PAtoPharm

It must really vary by region. My base at CVS was $60/hour + $5/every hour worked of the shift. I guess that's what I negotiated back then or maybe they really needed someone but I had the $5 differential for every hour, not just between 12am & 7am. I would have never done it in that case. It was terrible anyhow. Glad I left.
It was for the whole shift when I got licensed in 2010, but that ended on 1/1/2011.

$54/hr for new grads.

Actually, and new grads here who signed with CVS? Do they still do that? Make you sign a 1 year commitment?

The older night rph got grandfathered in with $5 /hour extra. The newly hired ones were making $3/hour extra. The PIC was making an extra $2/hr.
It was for every hour worked not just the 12am-7am. The techs got a 0.50/hr for each hour worked between 12am-7am so they rarely worked/scheduled those hours.

My pay was $68/hr + $5/hr more for differential. Crap pay if you ask me. My hospital pays me a whopping 15% extra for differential.