CVS pharmacist sick day policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been getting calls from scheduler and supervisor to cover sick calls every week at least a few times.Does anyone know how many times a rph can call sick at cvs? Is a Doctor note required?

Members don't see this ad.

40 hours of paid sick time and then the unpaid sick days at discretion of manager.

I don't think there is any actual limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
They never give you one! They want you to show up and then try and find someone to cover, which they never find . And you 90% of the cases end up working the shift!

There is technically no limit but they will look closely at people using more than 1 week (hours of base) per year. After 7 consecutive days they will put you in short term disability.

Unlimited sick days... and so many people abuse it. There were so many times that I went in to cover for a sick call and the pharmacist was walking out smiling...

The last time, the pharmacist was finishing up his Boston Market meal.

The funny thing is most sups know and cant or wont do anything about it unless it really becomes a serious problem.

PS... no doctors note required.

No official bell curve that I know of.

Maybe my sup said that to try and cut down on abuse in his district. Like you said above, the amount of abuse is staggering. The number of hours I have received by covering for "sick" pharmacists is just mind-boggling. I mean hey I guess more power to the players, but the honor system does screw the more honest employees.

I did call in sick one time since becoming an RPh, and I must say I did appreciate the ease of it. I can see how it would become tempting to abuse such a generous policy.

What about funeral day? I have a really sick relative overseas. I could be going out the country soon

Whenever I get sick, my wife covers for me. We basically get paid twice for only one of us working. I should abuse it more, but I've only used it one time and I legitimately had an inner ear infection. I had no sense of balance.

No one can call you out on if you have, act a day before (set the preliminary act/pretend to be sick) you are going to get one of these:
  1. A headache
  2. A migraine - easy 2 days off
  3. Cold/flu
  4. Stomach virus - easy 2 days off
  5. Sick family - kids, grandmas
  6. Not feeling well
  7. Pink eye
  8. Bad cough
  9. Bad allergy
  10. Strep Throat
  11. Medical procedure: LASIK, Lipo, gynecomastia surgery, boob job - 5 days off
  12. Tooth ache
  13. Dental visit
  14. Doctor visit - physical, or a real sickness
Follow through... Pretend sick when you come back; you can't just look 100% healthy. Abuse as often as possible. Get at LEAST 7-14 days off minimum/year. Megacorp doesn't give a fu3k. Why should you?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if u don't take ur paid sick days, they will not pay u end of year. so basically you're working for free?

if u don't take ur paid sick days, they will not pay u end of year. so basically you're working for free?

Well, working for your salary vs lying and cheating to get an extra benefit. I mean the benefit is there if you need it, you know?

Reactions: 1 user

You realize you are immoral, or in a non religious sense ethically challenged.

Reactions: 1 users

Unless you are a union (sometimes you get a check after accumulating so many hours), sick days will expire worthless for non-union. This is essentially mental health days/vacation days down the drain.

CVS allows you to take funeral days too... and not just one. They have to offer you 3... according to company policy.

CVS allows you to take funeral days too... and not just one. They have to offer you 3... according to company policy.

I wonder if the people who fake sickness to get a free day off of work, also make up stories about family members dying so they can get a free mini-vacation?

I don't like having to switch my schedule around to cover when somebody else is sick (ESPECIALLY if I suspect they are faking it), so out of respect for other people, I also do not call in sick, unless I am physically too sick to stand up (fever, can't stop puking, etc.)

I wonder if the people who fake sickness to get a free day off of work, also make up stories about family members dying so they can get a free mini-vacation?

I don't like having to switch my schedule around to cover when somebody else is sick (ESPECIALLY if I suspect they are faking it), so out of respect for other people, I also do not call in sick, unless I am physically too sick to stand up (fever, can't stop puking, etc.)

The trick is to build your reputation. When you are sick, you still go to work, let everyone know you are sick! Coughing, sneezing etc. But the time you really just need a day off to do whatever. You can just call in sick it and no one will bat an eye coz you have a reputation to work even if you are really sick. All they gonna think is "oh, so and so must be really sick!"

A pharmacist I knew took funeral days a few years ago. Still hasn't come back to work, really milking the system.

A pharmacist I knew took funeral days a few years ago. Still hasn't come back to work, really milking the system.

Is it possible that pharmacist is in the coffin?

Reactions: 3 users

I got one better...

I know a CVS pharmacist who maxed out her vacation days, took maternity leave for a few months, then went on "disability" for post partum depression (while posting pics of her chilling at the beach) for a few months, came back, and then went on maternity leave again.

Now THAT is milking the system. The funny thing is everybody including the Sup new but there was nothing they could do about it.

I got one better...

I know a CVS pharmacist who maxed out her vacation days, took maternity leave for a few months, then went on "disability" for post partum depression (while posting pics of her chilling at the beach) for a few months, came back, and then went on maternity leave again.

Now THAT is milking the system. The funny thing is everybody including the Sup new but there was nothing they could do about it.
Yeah, depression disability is a very tough one. It's not like a physical injury where they can spy you doing yardwork and know you're gaming them. If you're out having fun, then it must be therapeutic for your depression, or you're having a rare good day where your symptoms are minimal. Nearly impossible to say who is and who is not playing it.

I got one better...

Yes, but the sup can (and probably will) get back at her by putting her in a bad store.

illegal how? FMLA guarantees a similar position on return, can't be considered a demotion.

If she's coded the same (pharmacist) and paid the same, given the same amount of hours, then that pretty much meets FMLA. Nothing in FMLA says they have to give her an identical position, just a similar position.

Job Restoration
Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to his or her original job, or to an "equivalent" job, which means virtually identical to the original job in terms of pay, benefits, and other employment terms and conditions.
In addition, an employee's use of FMLA leave cannot result in the loss of any employment benefit that the employee earned or was entitled to before using (but not necessarily during) FMLA leave.

Maybe it is my state's labor law, or maybe the wordings of FMLA...., but I know for a fact that CVS will grant you the same store and position if you ask. For example, I think one can argue about distance to work..., work environment, etc.

anyone know how many sick hours are paid? a poster above said 40 hrs paid, but i thought its 24 hrs? i never took a sick day in the past b/c i always been healthy. but i got sick last monday n had to call out.

No specific number as far as I know. Last year there was an email stating that you will be written up if you call out more than 3 times a year. However, it did not say anything about duration of each call out.

anyone know how many sick hours are paid? a poster above said 40 hrs paid, but i thought its 24 hrs? i never took a sick day in the past b/c i always been healthy. but i got sick last monday n had to call out.
No limit.

No specific number as far as I know. Last year there was an email stating that you will be written up if you call out more than 3 times a year. However, it did not say anything about duration of each call out.

Sounds like your Sup is trying to pull a fast one.

To my knowledge, CVS still has un-limited sick days for RPH.

I can not imagine you being written up because you have EBOLA and forced to come in sick, or woozy on Percocet because your fell, and forced to verify while not 100 %....

I would file a complaint on HR line and escalate as needed...

Last edited:
Oh it was. I didn't concern myself with it. It was in no way official corporate memo.

I doubt a supervisor will say this stupid thing in an email

i figure they can't force u to work when sick. but i always thought there's a limit to how many sick hours you're paid for. the rest unpaid?

i figure they can't force u to work when sick. but i always thought there's a limit to how many sick hours you're paid for. the rest unpaid?
Nope.

Un-limited sick days/ hours... all paid.

However it should be something reasonable... that CVS can work around with. For example, if you call out for 6 months straight or on and off every other day for 6 months, They will say they can not accommodate you... or ask you to go on leave of absence/ disability.

Okay there is no "official" limit but let's be real... if your sup deems that it is "excessive" they will find another reason to fire you anyway. So don't be the guy that calls out 2-3 times a month.

Okay there is no "official" limit but let's be real... if your sup deems that it is "excessive" they will find another reason to fire you anyway. So don't be the guy that calls out 2-3 times a month.

2 to 3 times is definitely excessive... but if you are someone that gives them "good" numbers..., sales..., etc... they can care less.

it takes a lot for me to fire a tech... =_=. I can only imagine what is needed to fire a pharmacist.

2 to 3 times is definitely excessive... but if you are someone that gives them "good" numbers..., sales..., etc... they can care less.

it takes a lot for me to fire a tech... =_=. I can only imagine what is needed to fire a pharmacist.
I always think it may be easier to fire a pharmacist than a tech. I could be wrong though

I learn a lot from you, and I honestly think you know a lot about the company. You seem to be a very good PIC. Having said that, I just have some questions for you.
My Pic does not seem to understand the cvs metrics, even the SOS. He has been a Pic for more than 5 years, yet if you ask him the components of SOS ,he would not know. I have been with the company for almost 2 years now, and thanks to my supervisor, I really understand some of the metrics . I still have a long way to go though . He had no clue that he could access KMI report which tells you your script count VS budget. Does Cvs provide good training for PIC? What does it take to be a good PIC?
I think a good pic should know and understand their metrics in and out.
He is scared to even talk to the Rx supervisor. Each time the supervisor comes to the store, he is so stressed out. He believes that the supervisor can easily fire him.

There is zero training on metrics and some supervisors do not know what they mean or how they're calculated. My old sup said readyfill% assumed that when too many are declined in a row the computer assumes you're lying and changes the number accordingly.