CVS Prescriber Calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how this metric is measured/you get credit for the calls.

If you leave the office a voicemail for a refill request do you just leave the request in the que and delete the request once a script is sent in or do you leave a message and just delete the request?

Same thing if the office says they will send an eScript. Today was my first time doing these calls so I just deleted the request from the prescriber calls que and typed the eScript... somehow I feel like I went about this wrong even though this was the easiest/logical thing to do.

Also it seems like many doctors work at more than one office and often times the right doctor but wrong office is entered. Other times, it's the right office and right doctor but the doctor no longer is with that office. These situations are just a pain in the ass and can easily waste literally hours sorting out. How do you handle them?

There are also situations where I call and it's an ER or hospital... isn't it stupid to be asking these place for refills in the first place? I skipped them for today because I felt it was stupid to ask them for refills even if it was something that could be considered maintenance.

I read on another thread that you make the call and press "W" if there is no answer/you leave a message. I don't even remember seeing "W" as an option, what's it mean?

I also read that you get credit simply by making the call when the system sees that the call when to the number on file. Do I have to have the screen open to do this? In one case there were 2 different patients (one patient with 2 meds) that wanted refills from the same doctor so I just printed the screen and asked for all the refills at once. Would I technically have to call three times with each of the three screen open to get credit?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You just get credit for calls that are done before the promised time (before they turn "red"). On 3rd-attempt calls, you either approve (if you get a verbal over the phone, you can enter the script as a phone-in), deny (then do the action note letting the patient know), or will call back (W), meaning the prescriber's office "will call back" for further follow-up.

You could automatically deny if a refill request is for a script from an ED or urgent care prescriber, then do the action note to let the patient know they don't do refills, but I'm not sure this counts if you don't make the actual prescriber call first.

If the prescriber is no longer at a particular location, just update the prescriber to one who is still at that location and let them figure it out.

As for multiple calls to the same prescriber, this is what the toolkit says:

"If there are opportunities where multiple patients have the same prescriber, it is expected that the Team Member will inquire about all patients on one call to the prescriber. It is not necessary to make multiple calls to get 'credit' for following up. The system will capture the one call as satisfying the need to call for multiple patients to the same prescriber or office."

I got the idea for pretending to make calls from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/cvs-request-calls-metric.1094054/

This is what I personally do. If I manage to have time toward the end of the day, I do whatever calls didn't go red by putting speakerphone on mute, dialing the number, waiting 30+ seconds while doing something else, then hanging up. No voicemails, no talking. If the answering service picks up, I'm still on mute so they get the silent treatment. I hang up, choose "W" then schedule the action note ("refer to prescriber" in QT) for the following day by choosing "After hours" and then someone does the "refer to prescriber" action note (which populates QT in the morning and the evening, around 8:45 AM or 4:45 PM) that you "tried" reaching out to the prescriber multiple times so they don't come in later wondering why their scripts weren't ready. This is usually enough to get to 30%.

Last edited:
Retail pharmacy grades you on prescriber phone calls? Wow. Pharmacy is dead.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CVS hasn't meet a metric it doesn't want to track.

I won't be surprised next if CVS tracks how long it takes for you to type a prescription at drop off or ring up a transaction as a way for "efficiency" lol.

Reactions: 1 user
They already track transaction times at pickup and drive thru...

So if I press W I get credit for making the call but I will still have to make the call again later? Do I get credit again the next day too?

How many times do you have to press W before the request disappears?

Also, if there's a refill request in but the doctor has already sent a new script do you just deny the request and not get credit?

On an unrelated note... a patient called today and said that her doctor only takes refills requests from the pharmacy, not the patient. On top of that... the med was never filled at our pharmacy in the first place but it was filled at CVS mail order which the patient no longer uses. What a logical/nice way of telling these people to do it themselves... or do you guys actually call the doctor to get a refill in these situations? I just wrote this info, faxed it to MD, and into the trash it went. People don't seem to understand that refill requests are a courtesy and get quite demanding/nasty if you tell them to call the doctor ........ but at the same time I haven't come up with a good excuse to get out of these situations and end up getting dragged in lol

Last edited:
does the computer actually knows whether u dial the number or not?

does the computer actually knows whether u dial the number or not?

Yes. What nobody knows is how long you have to be on the line for it to count/register in the system. Is there a way to look up find your score I wonder? Like I said earlier I'v only been delegated to do this once but I hate this task... half the calls the office says they don't see that patient any longer/the doctor left/the doctor sees them at another location/closed for 2 hours for lunch = pain in the ass.

Yes. What nobody knows is how long you have to be on the line for it to count/register in the system. Is there a way to look up find your score I wonder? Like I said earlier I'v only been delegated to do this once but I hate this task... half the calls the office says they don't see that patient any longer/the doctor left/the doctor sees them at another location/closed for 2 hours for lunch = pain in the ass.

It does not matter what option you pick as long as you made the phone call.

With all things said, the idea is to contact the prescriber for the customer before it is due.

When you call the prescriber, no matter if you spoke to someone or left a voice mail, document what you did in notes such as "spoke with...., mdwcb" and then press "W".

The computer will update the time for you automatically...., and after 3 attempts, send the phone call to QT for technicians to tell the customer to call their doctor because we tried 3 times already (usually 2 faxes and one follow up call).

If the script was denied for reasons you said such as doctor left, doctor sees them at another location, etc... deny the prescription and call the customer to say, Mr, mrs... this is CVS pharmacy calling to tell you we called your doctor but can not get the refill at the this time due to "X", if you have any questions, please call your doctor or go in and get the hardcopy.

I think overall, too many people read too much into the numbers and not understand why we are doing this. CVS is not FORCING you to get the script from the doctor. They just want us to reach out to the doctor at least once, and if we don't get it, pass the ball back to the customer. It's not efficient to call the prescriber a million times with the end result of no positive impact for the business or customer.

and as an intern, do root cause analysis... are techs picking right doctors at drop off? are we offering to call the doctor for refills on stupid **** like amoxicillin from 2 years ago? etc...

There's really only 2 other techs at the store that can handle drop off. They may pick the first entry they see with the correct name but I don't know. It's annoying because even if we corrected this issue right now it'd be a year before we seen the results as far as these calls go.

and as an intern, do root cause analysis... are techs picking right doctors at drop off? are we offering to call the doctor for refills on stupid **** like amoxicillin from 2 years ago? etc...
Even when you pick the right doc, if they have multiple offices the computer often forces contact info to the wrong one.

Members don't see this ad :)
And sometimes they will have multiple offices in the system and still none of them match the script.

Reactions: 1 users
People don't seem to understand that refill requests are a courtesy and get quite demanding/nasty if you tell them to call the doctor ........ but at the same time I haven't come up with a good excuse to get out of these situations and end up getting dragged in lol

Tell them you called the doctor and the office said that the patient would have to call the office (or that the patient was no longer their patient, or whatever the office said.) Find out why, then put it back in the patients court.

And sometimes they will have multiple offices in the system and still none of them match the script.

Surely your system will allow you to register a new office for they physician? If the physician is new to that office, just register the new office so the contact information will be correct.

I'm talking about people asking me to call for refills on the spot for something they never even filled at my pharmacy... asking me to call on new scripts that were never sent by urgent care... etc.

1) No. Best we can do this send a fax for a refill request provided the actual rx vial label is presented, or transfer that rx. It may take up to 48 hours for either to occur (can't guarantee you that we can reach anyone. You probably got your **** filled at another crappy chain pharmacy too). If you don't like it go back to the pharmacy where you got it. Maybe 2 days of tabs advanced provided there is a vial and the drug is cheap and not controlled, and was filled recently (not 10 months ago).

2) No. Prescribers or their representatives can call it in, fax it in, send an escript or issue a hard copy. I can own my staff's ****ty mistakes but can't control what a ****ty medical practice does or doesn't do. Gee, if we didn't know what we were doing we couldn't fill these 300-340 new scripts sent to us that day. Give a business card so the patient can deal with it. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.

These are ways to give a patient an option without totally wasting my techs' time when we can sell scripts to people who aren't ****ing babies. You probably don't want these ****heads without any sense of personal accountability getting crap filled at your pharmacy anyway.

I'm talking about people asking me to call for refills on the spot for something they never even filled at my pharmacy... asking me to call on new scripts that were never sent by urgent care... etc.
A lot of techs just tell them our system only faxes on things we have filled before and patients can call on anything else and just leave it at that.

It is one minute for prescriber calls and for tech PCQ calls

So sometimes you have to keep them on the phone longer to get credit

I knew a pharmacist who some people thought she was drunk she would talk so slowly to make sure she got credit, seriously.

It is one minute for prescriber calls and for tech PCQ calls

So sometimes you have to keep them on the phone longer to get credit

I knew a pharmacist who some people thought she was drunk she would talk so slowly to make sure she got credit, seriously.

It is not 1 minute.

I'm not sure the length of call matters at all.

No, it is not. I have done the calls many many times and not spent a full minute on the phone and gotten credit. So...you are wrong.

I figured it wasn't worth arguing but my experience is the same

I'm not sure the length of call matters at all.

I agree with you on this. People remember when the call length mattered for PCQ calls and won't let it go. Like the song says people, let it go. It doesn't matter anymore. It hasn't mattered for years now. It NEVER mattered for prescriber calls, lol.

I agree with you on this. People remember when the call length mattered for PCQ calls and won't let it go. Like the song says people, let it go. It doesn't matter anymore. It hasn't mattered for years now. It NEVER mattered for prescriber calls, lol.

They don't even care about call length for PCQ anymore and people just can't get past that either.

Not really worth arguing about anyways...do what works for you! For prescriber calls for my store I always did a minute on the phone with them and would get all the points for that wecare metric...less and it was hit and miss...and this was with deleting the requests before they dropped into action required so I only had maybe 5 calls a week so I could keep track of it

The only reason I think some time must elapse on the call is because last week one of my techs just did W on a bunch of call attempts without making any call and it tanked the prescriber follow-up % for that week (we've been doing 30-40% with minimal "calls" actually done). It makes sense since otherwise you could just do W on everything and get 100% with minimal effort

How long in the QR before the drop into the QV? Just deleting them out of the QR before the go into QV seems like a good idea. You could even call when it's the in QR to avoid being measured on it if you know the patient/the med is important/etc

Last edited:
The only reason I think some time must elapse on the call is because last week one of my techs just did W on a bunch of call attempts without making any call and it tanked the prescriber follow-up % for that week (we've been doing 30-40% with minimal "calls" actually done). It makes sense since otherwise you could just do W on everything and get 100% with minimal effort
I didn't say whether or not you called was inconsequential. Only that the length was.

Cvs seems obnoxious. Just wow.

How long in the QR before the drop into the QV? Just deleting them out of the QR before the go into QV seems like a good idea. You could even call when it's the in QR to avoid being measured on it if you know the patient/the med is important/etc

It's day three. Also if there is no fax # on file it goes straight to QV.

You all realize the purpose is to get the doctor to call back and get the patient the medication they need. You can rail against the narcissistic culture we live in, but you won't be able to change it. Make the calls as they appear. It's not easy, but it's your job. Don't try and manipulate the numbers.
Business day 1 Fax or E-Scribe
Business day 2 Fax or E-Scribe
Business Day 3 R.Ph call

The business day ends at 4PM. So anything faxed on let's say Wed after 4PM will count day 1 as Thursday.

The way to work the system is to work it. I have doctors that only e-scribe to us and ignore ALL incoming electronic communication. Every day I go in and change them to a call. I have others that only want faxes. I go into the GR and make them faxes. I have doctors that won't do refills over the phone so I just deny them and ask the patient to call. Make the calls in time order so as few turn red as possible... Just do the best you can and don't try to trick anybody.

The length is inconsequential. It only measures if you dial the number and if you get through.

Reactions: 3 users
ANFT, make the calls. It's as simple as that. Don't hit 1 if you didnt speak in person.

Last edited:
Now, for ANFT. Does anyone know how to manipulate this? Alot of times I'll be at drop off, and an action note will pop up, and I'll tell the patient in person, so I'll pick #1, spoke in person. And yet that counts against me.

And before anyone says picking #1 doesn't count against you, IT DOES. I know this because I make alot of ANFT calls and yet I still can't get above 50%.

Think of ways you can reduce the number of action notes. Instead of cashing out a script from rejection if the person in front of you put it on hold then run it directly on cash. Instead of saying you left a message say you spoke to the person whenever you see the timer on the phone start to run. Reduce the amount of prescriber follow up calls you expect to drop in. There are ways to do this people on this forum will tell you don't work but I know they work for a fact.

If your wecare numbers suck, focus on getting scripts typed from the qt in time and verify on time as that is the bulk of your score. As long as you are getting 100% of those points they generally leave you alone about wecare.

Now, for ANFT. Does anyone know how to manipulate this? Alot of times I'll be at drop off, and an action note will pop up, and I'll tell the patient in person, so I'll pick #1, spoke in person. And yet that counts against me.

And before anyone says picking #1 doesn't count against you, IT DOES. I know this because I make alot of ANFT calls and yet I still can't get above 50%.

If it's an e-script and you pick #1, it hurts you. Picking #1 has to be a "written" RX b/c system thinks the patient is actually there.

Dumb, but that's how system does it.

If it's an e-script and you pick #1, it hurts you. Picking #1 has to be a "written" RX b/c system thinks the patient is actually there.

Dumb, but that's how system does it.

Now, how does the cadence work? I hate having to do all of this, but my team provides excellent service and we call on action notes. But for whatever reason most of my team can't get 50%, me included. Does the timer have to be running while you have the action note screen in front of you? Should you hang up, and THEN choose the dispositon? Or should you choose it while on the phone?

I hate having to resort to this, but i have no choice. There are some stores that get 90's on wecare every week. I want to be that for a few weeks so that my DM can back the hell off of us.

Triage time is easy, just get QT out. RWP is impossible because if you change times, it still counts against you. So if you put a waiter, then the guy says you know what I'll come back tomorrow, the system expects you to verify it in 15 minutes regardless.

Voicemails is easy breezy. Waiter expectations is hit or miss. That leaves action note follow through and prescriber follow up. I feel if most stores can just get full points on these two metrics, their wecare will always be in the 80's or 90's.

Any other advice from seasoned RPHS?

And before you guys go nuts and laugh at us, this is what pharmacists are in 2015. It's not bad, it just is what it is. We get paid over 60 dollars an hour. Most people would KILL to make that much money wearing a lab coat and a shirt and tie. We just need to band together and figure out how to manipulate wecare in order to get us high numbers.

I'm sure we all (or at least a solid majority) of us provide excellent customer service. It's in our nature as pharmacists. But WeCare has its own measure of how service is and we need to figure out how to manipulate this. It's a damn shame when I get 50's on wecare because of ANFT and prescriber follow up and RWP, and it gives off the illusion that we don't call patients or doctors, when we actually ****ing do....

Reactions: 2 users
Now, how does the cadence work? I hate having to do all of this, but my team provides excellent service and we call on action notes. But for whatever reason most of my team can't get 50%, me included. Does the timer have to be running while you have the action note screen in front of you? Should you hang up, and THEN choose the dispositon? Or should you choose it while on the phone?

I hate having to resort to this, but i have no choice. There are some stores that get 90's on wecare every week. I want to be that for a few weeks so that my DM can back the hell off of us.

Triage time is easy, just get QT out. RWP is impossible because if you change times, it still counts against you. So if you put a waiter, then the guy says you know what I'll come back tomorrow, the system expects you to verify it in 15 minutes regardless.

Voicemails is easy breezy. Waiter expectations is hit or miss. That leaves action note follow through and prescriber follow up. I feel if most stores can just get full points on these two metrics, their wecare will always be in the 80's or 90's.

Don't dial until the action note is on the screen, always select spoke to patient on phone when the timer on the phone is showing, reduce the amount of action notes you have to deal with

Work smarter, not harder

It's sad when a DM is harassing people about WeCare scores in the 50s when in many cases (it's chain retail after all) the staff just isn't in place to perform at a high level (and it would take weeding out people who can't hack it). There is a store in my district that usually gets 98+ every month (even 100 once in a while), and they probably have good staff in place. Then you have other stores where it's a challenge just to have enough bodies, where a single call-out ruins the day, and floaters that will bomb WeCare just by working a single weekday.

And before you guys go nuts and laugh at us, this is what pharmacists are in 2015. It's not bad, it just is what it is. We get paid over 60 dollars an hour. Most people would KILL to make that much money wearing a lab coat and a shirt and tie. We just need to band together and figure out how to manipulate wecare in order to get us high numbers.

I'm sure we all (or at least a solid majority) of us provide excellent customer service. It's in our nature as pharmacists. But WeCare has its own measure of how service is and we need to figure out how to manipulate this. It's a damn shame when I get 50's on wecare because of ANFT and prescriber follow up and RWP, and it gives off the illusion that we don't call patients or doctors, when we actually ****ing do....

ANFT is a metric that is the easiest to manipulate. Before I say anything, please understand that any truly important action note you should try to call on (out of stock, prior auth. etc). We get a lot of people who always try to get their stuff filled early and we have an office who always sends scripts in early, there is no reason to contact these people because they know very well they can't have it yet. Firstly, if you inactivate a patients insurance in their profile as your are editing their script, it will default to cash and not trigger an action note. Second, drug discount cards (UNA rx, good drug etc) do not trigger action notes so use these at your discretion. Finally, putting a script on hold does not trigger an action note (unless it is that new regulatory hold because a control is too early).

There are also a few special cases such as in refill requests and you want to change the doctor the request is getting sent to. Changing it from QR will trigger an action note, but if you delete the request, reprocess it and choose the different office, you will not have to do one. When a person has a bad phone number (or one of those customers who never keeps the same number because they only use burner phones), if we have a prior auth or drug not covered, we screen print the reject, fax that to the doctor, and put a temporary note in the directions of the script that states the problem. Good luck

Remember, you have option of "choose not to call." I use that A LOT. If it's a prescriber's error, or something that's like 2+ weeks early... I won't call.

Yes, the screen has to pop up before you make the call or else it can't track the phone #. My numbers fluctutate weekly b/c sometimes I make the calls before the screen pops up. If you want to minimize calls, and what I do is I would call, then put the rx on hold (PAs, too expensive, too early), then I would put the reason in the sig and what action I did (called, left voicemail for patient, invalid phone #, phone busy...) so my colleagues knew what action was done.

ANFT i don't think make up a majority of WeCare points but they're crazy about it. Try to be above 45% at least.

The hardest for my store is wait time b/c we put waiters galore. We do like 25-28% waiters and my store is 24 hours lol. We get full points on everything but wait time.

Day 1: First Attempt Made (E-Script, Fax, R.Ph Call)
Day 2: Second Attempt Made (E-Script, Fax, R.Ph Call)
Day 3: Call drops into the queue for a pharmacist call.

That makes Wednesday the worst day for calls. From Friday after 4pm until Monday at 4PM all; calls are day 1 then day 2 then they all fall into the manual call queue for Wednesday.

How to get the highest scores?

First, know your doctors. I have doctors that only respond to calls so I review the QR everyday and change those to calls to voice requests. I have other doctors that only accept faxes to I chnage them to faxes. I have doctors that don't take calls from pharmacies so I go in and decline them and call the patient, thereby increasing my action note rate.

Next, make sure the correct doctor is on the rx so when it is out of refills, you call the correct doctor and get a response before they turn red.

When making the calls, make them, in time order. Make the calls due today before the calls due in three days.....

For P/A requests, call the doctor and then place them on hold with a note in the sig.

So if you choose "spoke to patient in person" on a new escript OR "phone busy/no answer" it counts against you for ANFT... and if you cannot get ahold of the patient you should re run it as cash and then put it on hold to avoid an action note "opportunity" all together?

It makes sense but later on if a tech processes the script isn't there a good chance it will be run through as cash without them catching it? Or will the system default back to insurance even if it was put on hold as cash?

I think my ANFT was like 20% one month and nobody every said anything... the store's was like 50% though. I think the reason is that the other drop off techs use a discount card on non-covered OTC's eliminating an action note while I always run them through as cash and choose some random option when it asks me to call.

On another note... assuming that you actually do attempt to call when the screen is open what options count against you as far as ANFT? If I leave a message and choose left voicemail will it count against me or for me? Same thing is the phone is busy and I select phone busy... will this count against me? Or does your score only go down if no outgoing phone call is seen by the system?

Also, for doctor calls that the pharmacist makes is the metric purely based on what % of the "opportunities" result in a new script? Or is the metric based on the fact that you made an attempt which is measured by an outgoing phone call?

Last edited:
Also, if you are calling for an action note... if you call the patient, let it ring 1-2 times, the select "spoke to patient on phone"... will it count? Obviously in cases where the call is not necessary.

I'v seen where several people said that the call must last 30 seconds and I'v also seen where people have said that the timer on the phone just has to start... it'd be pretty useful to know which is correct for the purpose of ANFT as well as prescriber calls

So if you choose "spoke to patient in person" on a new escript OR "phone busy/no answer" it counts against you for ANFT... and if you cannot get ahold of the patient you should re run it as cash and then put it on hold to avoid an action note "opportunity" all together?

It makes sense but later on if a tech processes the script isn't there a good chance it will be run through as cash without them catching it? Or will the system default back to insurance even if it was put on hold as cash?

I think my ANFT was like 20% one month and nobody every said anything... the store's was like 50% though. I think the reason is that the other drop off techs use a discount card on non-covered OTC's eliminating an action note while I always run them through as cash and choose some random option when it asks me to call.

On another note... assuming that you actually do attempt to call when the screen is open what options count against you as far as ANFT? If I leave a message and choose left voicemail will it count against me or for me? Same thing is the phone is busy and I select phone busy... will this count against me? Or does your score only go down if no outgoing phone call is seen by the system?

Also, for doctor calls that the pharmacist makes is the metric purely based on what % of the "opportunities" result in a new script? Or is the metric based on the fact that you made an attempt which is measured by an outgoing phone call?
On hold Rx's don't retain third party billing selection.

For action note follow through you need to dial the number and reach the person. The phone system knows if the number is dialed and it knows if the other line answered. I don't know for sure if you have to have the screen up when you dial. I think not, since what if you have more than one rx for a given patient. You don't have to call them multiple times.

The answer is to make the calls. Make as many as you can. You also always need to update the patient's phone number.

BIG HINT:
Start now to get as many people signed up for text alerts. Shortly, you will be able to text and have it count as a call made.

I'm really glad you guys are talking about this because if I was a prospective pharmacy student who knew he wanted to do retail pharmacy, they would change their major or bust their ass to get into a hospital system.