CVS RPh burn out.. considering moving on, opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can tell you I made 25k more then my staff. This is bonus and salary based only.

Members don't see this ad.

The problem is I dont believe Walgreens, Duane Reade, or Rite Aid pay their PM as well so they can only match so much. I know of matches but the matches only comes if they desperately need people and believe you are worth the compensation. Those matches have to be okay by the pharmacy supervisor, and usually okay by HR.
Typical RXM at WAG makes about 10k more base salary than staff. New grads make less.

Reactions: 1 user
CVS really a cash cow? The highest paid pharmacist I know of is a Kroger PIC who makes $150k with bonuses.

By the way, "golden handcuffs" is such bull****.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's life where you are. You have two people who actually work for the company telling you otherwise. Feel free to tell me how much I make.

If its $70+, I'll be damned. Could only imagine how much KK's hourly was, at the CVS on the Blvd.

My staff pharmacists get a 10% bonus just for showing up and they are hourly 40 hours per week with OT for any hours over 40. You guys are kidding yourselves with this golden handcuffs BS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

What is the yearly gross for your staff pharmacist?

My staff pharmacists get a 10% bonus just for showing up and they are hourly 40 hours per week with OT for any hours over 40. You guys are kidding yourselves with this golden handcuffs BS.

This is true. There is no golden handcuffs when every retail company pays about the same for similar position and similar area, ~$10k give or take.

That's life where you are. You have two people who actually work for the company telling you otherwise. Feel free to tell me how much I make.

I don't believe you either actually. I think you're counting bonuses and stuff in that hourly difference. I don't know any RXMS or PIC that are hitting 80+/hr and I know many many of them. You're either in a very niche market...if so state your region/area(it won't review your identity) or you're doing some liberal rounding up....which I know many of my friends also do when they talk about their salaries. They'll work a bunch of OT and say that their salary is 140k or some silly things like that.

Last edited:
Not really. A lot of senior PICs benefited from a boom when good pharmacy managers were needed. So a pharmacy manager who has been with the company for at least 3-4 years, will get paid at least 10 dollars more than staff.

As a pharmacy manager, I get compensated 10-20 dollars over my staff depending on their seniority. The pharmacy manager does the raises now and decides how to split the compensation pool so I have insight on my other three staff pharmacists and 2 over night pharmacists's compensation. A new grad in my region gets compensated at 56$. I make 20 dollars over that. That is a 40k differential. I also have double the bonus, (up to 25k but average of 5-10k), and a stock equity award of 1500 a year (which averages to 3-4k after taxes depending on when I cash it out) versus my staff who gets 1k every OTHER year. I make at LEAST 30k... over my staff but the difference is up to 40k.

Another added benefit that I have noticed is that we can get the hours that we want too. A lot of new grads and floaters are struggling to make 30... I still make my 44 hour base. That can be huge... 175k versus 90k.

Several CVS pharmacy managers like Wario, Oldtimer, and I have stated this over and over again so I dont understand why people have to question what we are saying. We generally work harder and have more responsibilities so should be compensated as such.

Cali is a whole different universe. I have friends in that market and hear stories that most of us envy. If i was to take a stab at it, their PM are probably getting paid 75... versus 64 starting.

low to mid 60s for a PIC/RXM is the consensus. Don't factor your bonuses and stuff into the hourly difference because obviously that varies from store to store.

Last edited:
If its $70+, I'll be damned. Could only imagine how much KK's hourly was, at the CVS on the Blvd.
He made over $70?? Working at Harbison doesn't seem too bad now lol

Isn't the point the total salary difference? So you should add bonus in.

Cali is a whole different universe. I have friends in that market and hear stories that most of us envy. If i was to take a stab at it, their PM are probably getting paid 75... versus 64 starting.
low to mid 60s for a PIC/RXM is the consensus. Don't factor your bonuses and stuff into the hourly difference because obviously that varies from store to store.

In my area, RXM starts around $67. Highest in my region makes $78.

Last edited:
Isn't the point the total salary difference? So you should add bonus in.

I think the debate veered off into discussing starting salary for RXMs/PIC between Momus and Oldtimer.

67$ is in the range. 78$....I'm skeptical but I'll take your word for it for a few places like SF and NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
They make around 60 per hour. They punch a clock and get time and a half for anything over 40. They can make more than our PIC or even me if they work a lot of OT

Why do you guys keep bringing up an hourly wage? Most of you are salaried!

They make around 60 per hour. They punch a clock and get time and a half for anything over 40. They can make more than our PIC or even me if they work a lot of OT

What do you do chalupa? Are you in consulting? Serious question. It seems you have a very good head on your shoulder.

About right. 67-68/hr for manager in SoCal CVS. 3 dollars less for staff. Rite aid and wmt start you about the same rate also.

Everything else the same benefits. Same 401k match.

Manager gets bonus 5-10k average, staff 1/2 that.

That's it so you'd get about 10k bonus+6k (salary difference). When someone said 30k difference, they don't do a fair comparison (new grad 0 experience counting hourly rate only vs. High volume manager 5yrs exp with all bonus, 401k and stock option). That's highly exaggerated.

Again I made 25k more then my staff. 30k is not an exaggeration if you work at a higher tier store at walgreens.

I think the idea is to try to compare a PIC vs a Staff RPh with as much else even as possible. Of course someone who is hard working with years of experience is going to make way more. But I think $3/hour is about right when you control for other factors. Perhaps a bit higher IF you get the max bonus (although your staff RPh will likely see some of that action as well, but not as much).

What do you do chalupa? Are you in consulting? Serious question. It seems you have a very good head on your shoulder.
I have had the opportunity to do a lot of different things as a result of good luck and hard work. A lot of it is just being in the right place at the right time with the right skills and experience.

What's sad is so many pharmacists don't venture outside their comfort zone of retail or hospital. There are tons of cool and interesting jobs out there. I highly recommend specialty pharmacy to anybody looking for a change. Get in with a staffing agency if necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad, I'm not working for you. Your staff getting shafted, or they are a bunch of noobs.

No, I work more hours per week. I get options every year and my bonus is almost twice what her's is and that's in addition to the hourly rate.....

No, I work more hours per week. I get options every year and my bonus is almost twice what her's is and that's in addition to the hourly rate.....
Come on man, how's that a fair comparison... It's a different position/responsibility, AND different amount of hours worked. I made 240k last yr gross as staff. I also got about 20k dividend income and interest. I made maybe 90k over pharmacy manager and 60-70k gross over my district manager.

Well, that doesn't tell anyone anything, does it?

Break it down, in reality, I only made 64/hr, while my manager makes 68/hr. This is in San Diego market desirable area. PIC in the desert (Palm Springs area - less desirable, command 70-75/hr higher base salary depending on your volume). He got more bonus than me. Beside that, he makes $8k more in base salary. But I worked waaay more hours.... Then you get the whole truth...

If you compare staff vs. Staff or PIC vs. PIC in the same area/rx volume with different companies, with the same # of hrs worked, then you will see an accurate comparison, I. E., not much difference 10kish in gross.

I think the original comparison was referring to a 30k difference if OP was to leave retail and work at a hospital setting.

Come on man, how's that a fair comparison... It's a different position/responsibility, AND different amount of hours worked. I made 240k last yr gross as staff. I also got about 20k dividend income and interest. I made maybe 90k over pharmacy manager and 60-70k gross over my district manager.

Well, that doesn't tell anyone anything, does it?

Break it down, in reality, I only made 64/hr, while my manager makes 68/hr. This is in San Diego market desirable area. PIC in the desert (Palm Springs area - less desirable, command 70-75/hr higher base salary depending on your volume). He got more bonus than me. Beside that, he makes $8k more in base salary. But I worked waaay more hours.... Then you get the whole truth...

If you compare staff vs. Staff or PIC vs. PIC in the same area/rx volume with different companies, with the same # of hrs worked, then you will see an accurate comparison, I. E., not much difference 10kish in gross.

Am I being ignored here? No overtime and I made 25k more then my staff.

What's concerning here is you work what 65 hours a week? You need to do something with your life other then work.

Correct. People aren't taking into account hours worked per pay period. At Walgreens, RXM works 84 hours per pay period, full time staff: 80. My hourly rate is only a couple of more per hour than my partner but I gross about $500 more per paycheck

Correct. People aren't taking into account hours worked per pay period. At Walgreens, RXM works 84 hours per pay period, full time staff: 80. My hourly rate is only a couple of more per hour than my partner but I gross about $500 more per paycheck
That's exactly what I am hinting at. Apple and orange comparison if you try to compare staff vs. manager pay.

I think the original comparison was referring to a 30k difference if OP was to leave retail and work at a hospital setting.

I was talking to AZN, retail to retail, same position PIC vs. PIC is not much difference in total compensation. There is NO golden handcuff. A 30k difference happens if you are comparing staff vs. manager salary (DUH...), AND work a couple hours more every week in general.

Am I being ignored here? No overtime and I made 25k more then my staff.

What's concerning here is you work what 65 hours a week? You need to do something with your life other then work.

Maybe in your store, not mine, $8K + possible 5-10k average bonus does not equal to 25k-30k difference. I also don't have to deal with complaints, micromanaging techs, tech schedules, metrics, and general sh1t from the boss. Clock in, clock out, that's it. With investment income (dividend, rental income, interest income abroad) and how low my real expense is (compare to 90% of other people), it negates ANY benefit of ever being a manager.

That's exactly what I am hinting at. Apple and orange comparison if you try to compare staff vs. manager pay.

I was talking to AZN, retail to retail, same position PIC vs. PIC is not much difference in total compensation. There is NO golden handcuff. A 30k difference happens if you are comparing staff vs. manager salary (DUH...), AND work a couple hours more every week in general.

Maybe in your store, not mine, $8K + possible 5-10k average bonus does not equal to 25k-30k difference. I also don't have to deal with complaints, micromanaging techs, tech schedules, metrics, and general sh1t from the boss. Clock in, clock out, that's it. With investment income (dividend, rental income, interest income abroad) and how low my real expense is (compare to 90% of other people), it negates ANY benefit of ever being a manager.

That's the great thing about Walgreens you give all your work to your staff but get all the benefits.

You know people will try to spin it and make it seems like it's 80+/hr.

67$ is in the range. 78$....I'm skeptical but I'll take your word for it for a few places like SF and NYC.

I make near $78. Its the main reason I'm still with CVS. I'm not in those places.

I make near $78. Its the main reason I'm still with CVS. I'm not in those places.
I'll take your word for it for some places. Definitely not close to the average or norm tho...there will be outliers of course.

I'll take your word for it for some places. Definitely not close to the average or norm tho...there will be outliers of course.

You can make it this high if you perform to CVS expectations and get EE on your evals yearly. But not every PIC will get those yearly ratings, or work at a high volume store enough to justify off cycle raises.

I work in a very high performing district and 80% of all PICs make above $72 b/c they do well.

Listen: I make 17K more than my staffer just in hourly rate at 40 hours per week. The apples to apples comparison you crave. I also got a 10K bonus and yearly options. No ot, no holiday. So on an apples to apples basis I still make almost 30K per year more. That's manager vs staff.

There are very few jobs in my market that I would switch to. Even if there was there is no way I'm getting my hourly rate anywhere else.....

Listen: I make 17K more than my staffer just in hourly rate at 40 hours per week. The apples to apples comparison you crave. I also got a 10K bonus and yearly options. No ot, no holiday. So on an apples to apples basis I still make almost 30K per year more. That's manager vs staff.

There are very few jobs in my market that I would switch to. Even if there was there is no way I'm getting my hourly rate anywhere else.....

so thats 17k...he wasn't wrong. You're just playing games with arithmetic. You first said that you made at least 20$hr more than your staff. 17$k/year at 40hrs/week is only 8$ bucks more...I mean so now it's only 8$ more? So Momus was correct actually.

After being with CVS for 15 years, there is almost a $20.00 per hour difference from new grads to top PIC's. So, if you are good and have been rewarded for same it can cost to jump....

Really...it's just your pay...how much do you make an hour? No need for tricky arithmetic or math. Take your paycheck and divide by numbers of hours you got paid for that pay period. This isn't hard. Gross pay / # hours paid = rate. Is this number below 80? If yes, then Momus was right and you're wrong. If no, then you are right and he is wrong.

Last edited:
You can make it this high if you perform to CVS expectations and get EE on your evals yearly. But not every PIC will get those yearly ratings, or work at a high volume store enough to justify off cycle raises.

I work in a very high performing district and 80% of all PICs make above $72 b/c they do well.

Let's not keep decreasing our target...first from 78 now to 72. The argument was that PIC can get 20hr+ difference on staff .

I am not really a part of this original argument. I just feel Momus is pretty accurate and factual about what he is saying and a couple of people in here are doing silly math to try and win an argument. Just jumping in.

If you guys don't want to believe us that's fine. 25k more then staff in a mid script count store for myself means higher tier stores will be at 30k or more.

If you guys don't want to believe us that's fine. 25k more then staff in a mid script count store for myself means higher tier stores will be at 30k or more.

What's your rate right now. It's that simple and that was what Momus and Oldtimer are arguing about. Go to wags authenicator from employees@home and pop up your paycheck. Take your gross pay and divide it by hours paid and report this rate. That's all. Let me know if this is 20$ more than your staff rph.

What's your rate right now. It's that simple and that was what Momus and Oldtimer are arguing about. Go to wags authenicator from employees@home and pop up your paycheck. Take your gross pay and divide it by hours paid and report this rate. That's all. Let me know if this is 20$ more than your staff rph.

If I remember correct the original argument was that rxm made 30k more which is true at higher tier stores. Also I believe the OP said he was at a busy store.

I doubt the OP is even reading his thread anymore since none of it has any advice after the first few posts.

If I remember correct the original argument was that rxm made 30k more which is true at higher tier stores. Also I believe the OP said he was at a busy store.

I doubt the OP is even reading his thread anymore since none of it has any advice after the first few posts.

Yea I know...OP isn't probably reading anymore.

Just saying...maybe it was misinterpreted:

Doesn't matter pic vs pic is not $15-20/hr different in HOURly pay. Benefits about the same across different company. Prove me wrong.

I'll be the first to join cvs if this is true. LOL

Last edited:
Yea I know...OP isn't probably reading anymore.

Just saying...maybe it was misinterpreted:

Well what's 30k divided into hourly pay? About $15.

That's what your boss and yourself want to believe. Manager generally does NOT make $10 above staff in hourly, heck most don't even make $5 above staff rate. They stay a couple more hours in store/week (let's say 4h extra X 52 weeks X $70 = $15k easy), and deal with a bunch more bullsh1t (random tech call off, tech schedule, boss on metrics, complaints). Then, they can come back saying they make $30k in hourly pay. Those 30k is NOT in hrly pay difference only. Mind you they forget that the staff work less/week, gets 401k match also, 1/2 bonus, and deal with 0 sh1t for 5 dollar less give or take.

People get so butthurt talking about their hourly pay that's CLEARLY stated on their paycheck and like to justify $15/hr more hourly pay vs. store staff. I don't get this.

Doesn't matter pic vs pic is not $15-20/hr different in HOURly pay. Benefits about the same across different company. Prove me wrong.

I'll be the first to join cvs if this is true. LOL
Well what's 30k divided into hourly pay? About $15.

I don't think he every doubted that...this was his first post on this manner and he was attacked for it because people wanted to inflate their penis sizes:
$30k is $15/hr. I am sure pharmacy manager gets paid about the same in different company but not $15/hr difference. In CA for example, manager normally gets market rate 68 (city) - 75/hr (boonies) starting pay depending on years of experience and location. Adjust +/- $3 dollar with different retails. Your vacation will get matched. 401k match, everyone has them 4-5% standard. The only thing you are losing is your seniority, which is not worth anything nowadays. It takes a month to get familiar with computer system. If you were a gamer, it would take half the time.

This was what Momus said and he is accurate. I know for a fact there is no 15-20$ difference between PIC from one chain to PIC at another company. This argument then veered off to PIC vs Staff later on as everyone else jumped in too.

I can only give numbers from walgreens. Yes I work 4 hours more per 2 weeks but that extra time is usually spent chatting with employees since we're always ahead. You have to take bonus into it since staff get practically nothing. So go from the higher tier stores since the OP said it was busy to a lower tier as staff and you are talking 30k.

I can only give numbers from walgreens. Yes I work 4 hours more per 2 weeks but that extra time is usually spent chatting with employees since we're always ahead. You have to take bonus into it since staff get practically nothing. So go from the higher tier stores since the OP said it was busy to a lower tier as staff and you are talking 30k.

All I am saying is that there was a some silly arithmetic done to make someone's hourly pay seem exaggerated. He originated reported 40k over his staff then corrected himself and said 17k. I had to jump in and say something. It's almost like people have no integrity for their words. What Momus originally argued is there for everyone to see on the first page and one person came in and jumped all over him for it even though what he said was accurate. This is the reason some people only talk about hourly pay...because it enlarges their penis sizes....you can take your OT salary/401k benefits/eveythign under the sun and divide it by the 40-hour work week and exaggerate your rate.
This was his original argument:
$30k is $15/hr. I am sure pharmacy manager gets paid about the same in different company but not $15/hr difference. In CA for example, manager normally gets market rate 68 (city) - 75/hr (boonies) starting pay depending on years of experience and location. Adjust +/- $3 dollar with different retails. Your vacation will get matched. 401k match, everyone has them 4-5% standard. The only thing you are losing is your seniority, which is not worth anything nowadays. It takes a month to get familiar with computer system. If you were a gamer, it would take half the time.

Last edited:
I might have missed some comments. It seemed to me that the argument most were having was comparing pic total take home at a busy store to staff at a slower store.

I might have missed some comments. It seemed to me that the argument most were having was comparing pic total take home at a busy store to staff at a slower store.

Yea it veered off a bit later on...but whatevs...in the later arugments, I've already conceded there may be certain pockets or areas where RXMS do get straight 20$ more on top of staff...maybe in SF/NYC and certain areas. I don't know of any RXMs personally that are getting this rate over their staff.

so thats 17k...he wasn't wrong. You're just playing games with arithmetic. You first said that you made at least 20$hr more than your staff. 17$k/year at 40hrs/week is only 8$ bucks more...I mean so now it's only 8$ more? So Momus was correct actually.

Really...it's just your pay...how much do you make an hour? No need for tricky arithmetic or math. Take your paycheck and divide by numbers of hours you got paid for that pay period. This isn't hard. Gross pay / # hours paid = rate. Is this number below 80? If yes, then Momus was right and you're wrong. If no, then you are right and he is wrong.

Your reading comprehension, as always needs a refresher. I said I made almost $20.00 per hours more than a new grad.
After being with CVS for 15 years, there is almost a $20.00 per hour difference from new grads to top PIC's. So, if you are good and have been rewarded for same it can cost to jump....

Just in case you needed a little help with what I actually said. I never said my partner was a new grad.

Your reading comprehension, as always needs a refresher. I said I made almost $20.00 per hours more than a new grad.

Just in case you needed a little help with what I actually said. I never said my partner was a new grad.

Ummm...noo; all this was in response to Momus who never even mentioned that in his original argument. So in honesty....you should actually go back to the 1st page yourself and re-read what you typed and what he wrote. You said 40k...then it's now 17k plus 10k of bonus...so which is it? You have a tendency to change your facts half way through any argument when it becomes apparently that it doesn't add up:

I made almost 40K more than my staff rph/partner.

Listen: I make 17K more than my staffer just in hourly rate at 40 hours per week. The apples to apples comparison you crave. I also got a 10K bonus and yearly options.

So which is it? It's comically that you even think we can't go back and double check you on your claims.

See...what had happened was...you realized Momus was accurate and your silly arithmetic didn't add up...so the 40k became 17k+10k instead. I saw this bs so I had to jump in...I call bs when I see it.

Let me give people a more apples to apples comparison of PIC vs staff. I would like to remind people that position is not the only determiner of salary and that you have to account for years of service with the company (and how many of those years were worked at the same store) to determine the real difference between staff and PIC just based on position. My partner and I have worked in the exact same store for exactly the same amount of time (with similar years with the company) and I will break down the salary differences for you.

Hourly rate, difference is $4.31/hour (with a 40 hour/week base it works out to approx 9k/year
Bonus, PIC is 2x staff so in the case of my store difference is 2,500 per year (yes this can vary wildly 500 - 5000)
Stock options: Granted yearly instead of semiyearly thus difference is 500/year
Total is approx 12k/year difference based on position alone (holding constant other factors as much as possible)

Reactions: 2 users