CVS system - prescriber search update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cc520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After the new system update recently, I came across several instances where I can't find the prescriber because I don't know the exact phone number. We're having issues when office numbers given to us on telephone orders do not match the phone numbers in the system. Then when we go to add the prescriber with the new phone number, we're not able to look up the DEA and NPI to add it to the new profile. It's also an issue when patients are request to fax a different doctor for refills. My store started writing down DEA numbers of the most common prescribers at our store... there's gotta be a better way. Anyone have any tricks around this update?

Members don't see this ad.

After the new system update recently, I came across several instances where I can't find the prescriber because I don't know the exact phone number. We're having issues when office numbers given to us on telephone orders do not match the phone numbers in the system. Then when we go to add the prescriber with the new phone number, we're not able to look up the DEA and NPI to add it to the new profile. It's also an issue when patients are request to fax a different doctor for refills. My store started writing down DEA numbers of the most common prescribers at our store... there's gotta be a better way. Anyone have any tricks around this update?
Go to the browser window (like you're going to log on to RxNet) and open a new tab. That will give you access to Google search. Search for "nppes" to get to the NPI database. Look up the NPI there and use it to search in RxConnect.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If you don't have the correct phone number and NPI do this

1. Simply search the doctor name with a dummy phone number
2. Do a central search and take out the dummy phone number and put in the zip code in which the doctor's office resides
3. It should pop up when you search by the doctor's last name and zip code

2. Do a central search and take out the dummy phone number and put in the zip code in which the doctor's office resides

You got a zip code map of North Philly?

It was so freaking frustrating for me when a doctor would leave a voicemail with their number which I know was an office number, and I am typing up the script only to get stuck time and time again at prescriber entry because the system cannot find the doctor. This happened with every single case of adding/editing a prescriber which is almost becoming non-existent in the CVS world as they take complete control of every single little thing. With each update of the CVS system, pharmacists would be more limited in what they could do, and I always remember getting stuck for the dumbest things.

Yes, I can search their stupid intranet, but the speeds on it were the same as a 56k modem I used to have back in 1996. The search was slow, limited, and many times did not work, especially since there was NO MOUSE for the computer and the intranet gave us access to like 3 websites at most.

Here I was with a simple prescription for amoxicillin for a patient who was waiting, and I couldn't even type it up because the computer could not match the doctor who provided their actual office number, adding or editing the prescriber would not work without finding the valid NPI number, the intranet was down, and my phone had no service inside the store.

Of course I figured out ways to get it out, but it shouldn't have ever got to that point. It looks like nothing has changed.

Last edited:
It was so freaking frustrating for me when a doctor would leave a voicemail with their number which I know was an office number, and I am typing up the script only to get stuck time and time again at prescriber entry because the system cannot find the doctor. This happened with every single case of adding/editing a prescriber which is almost becoming non-existent in the CVS world as they take complete control of every single little thing. With each update of the CVS system, pharmacists would be more limited in what they could do, and I always remember getting stuck for the dumbest things.

Yes, I can search their stupid intranet, but the speeds on it were the same as a 56k modem I used to have back in 1996. The search was slow, limited, and many times did not work, especially since there was NO MOUSE for the computer and the intranet gave us access to like 3 websites at most.

Here I was with a simple prescription for amoxicillin for a patient who was waiting, and I couldn't even type it up because the computer could not match the doctor who provided their actual office number, adding or editing the prescriber would not work without finding the valid NPI number, the intranet was down, and my phone had no service inside the store.

Of course I figured out ways to get it out, but it shouldn't have ever got to that point. It looks like nothing has changed.
Why no mouse though? Did you throw it against the wall one too many times? ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Most of the time, I've been using my phone to google search the dr. and then using that #. Yeah, annoying at times.

If you don't know the zip code, only city and state will suffice and all the offices for that prescriber will show up. It's def a little difficult but they probably saw Prescriber Outreach percentages going to sh** on WeCare. They think accurate info would improve that??! Don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most of the time, I've been using my phone to google search the dr. and then using that #. Yeah, annoying at times.
Same here. I have to do that at least once a day