CVS System tricks and shortcuts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcm189

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After working for CVS for several months, I realized that CVS's system has many shortcuts that are not explicitly written down anywhere. I learned most of these from other techs and pharmacists. Are there any other shortcuts that you guys know of that would be helpful?

1. Search by DOB from the main screen by typing two spaces then DOB
2. For vaccinations typing "FLC" in the directions gives you "to be administered by pharmacist"
3. Call other CVS stores by dialing 9-1-700-600-store#
4. For OTC, search by item number instead of NDC

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
There are alot of them. For Medicare Part D patients, you don't need their insurance card. Simply type in "EC" in the third party screen, enter their last 4 digits of their SS number, and their medicare part D info will automatically populate.

There are alot of shortcuts when typing also. Type in LP5 for lisinopril 5, etc. T3 for tylenol #3, etc.

When calling other stores, don't call on the doctor line or the patient line. Simply key in 8001, 8002, 8003, 8004 or 8005 as soon as you hear the automated guy talking after calling. This goes directly to that line (line 1 through 5) and rings as if a doctor is calling, albeit on one of those lines. Most DM's call this way to distinguish themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. To view a hardcopy image without actually pulling the script you can do M2->4->2. Be careful not to hit enter or the scanner will go off and erase the image.
2. To rebill something quickly hit E from the main screen and just scan the barcode instead of typing the rx number. This also allows you to quickly check what the previous copay was on a refill instead of going into their profile and viewing rx history
3. For a customer who has commercial insurance but has no clue what it is you can type in condor code /27410 with group "rhelig", push it through like a claim, and you will be able to print insurance info from qt. This doesn't work too often but when it does it can save a lot of time calling ins for id numbers, etc.
4. Sometimes state insurances don't work becuase they are under the impression that a patient has an active commercial insurance even though you try the commercial insurance by itself and you get an inactive rejection. In this case, bill with the commercial insurance as primary and the state insurance as secondary, then type BP in qt to get paid claim.
5. Often, you need to run straight medicaid for oral contraceptives even though a patient has an MCO that pays for all other meds.
6. Enter a discount card for patients who don't have insurance on file to avoid action notes, especially if you plan on filling it but rebilling later.
7. If you are zeroing out a bunch of rts from the rts bypass report, pull out the printer tray, zero them out, then turn off the printer for about a minute. The updated rts labels won't print and you avoid wasting a bunch of paper and ink.
8. In many stores, the names of lots of unit dose meds can be typed in to populate the sig field with the standard instructions. Examples are zpak, medrol, peridex, nuvaring, advair, spiriva.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the SIG code for "as needed" in the CVS system? PRN doesn't do anything

;prn; don't forget the semicolons after

Oh never knew that, thanks!

How about if the directions are "take 1-2 tablets by mouth every 6-8 hours as needed for pain"

Would it be possible to get that whole line out of a sig? I pretty much would just end up typing that

Or at least how could you get "1-2 tablets" or "every 6-8 hours"?

How about if the directions are "take 1-2 tablets by mouth every 6-8 hours as needed for pain"

Would it be possible to get that whole line out of a sig? I pretty much would just end up typing that

It's been awhile since my last shift but I think

"take 1-2 tablets by mouth every 6-8 hours as needed for pain"

"12T;po;q68;ppa"

Reactions: 2 users
Semi colons... srly? At Walmart it would just be "12q68hpp". The system knows if it's tablet or capsule, it automatically adds the route too (by mouth). For each drug you can actually change the verb, route, etc... if you want. For example any test strip we program "to check blood glucose"

Last edited:
prn - as needed for AN - as needed, PPA as needed for pain, also use A500 for amox 500, N500 naproxen 500, sig codes with semicolons obviously

Are there any insulin/test strip/lancet shortcuts?

Members don't see this ad :)
check rxconnect

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

12t;po;q68;ppa. If the 12t does not work, you type that out and sig code the rest

Reactions: 1 user
Here are a couple good references...

I have been hoping they would update the quick pick list on RXNet. Some of the drugs they list are no longer in existence (darvocet, Vicodin/APAP 5/500, etc.)

I have been hoping they would update the quick pick list on RXNet. Some of the drugs they list are no longer in existence (darvocet, Vicodin/APAP 5/500, etc.)

I remember reading somewhere that when they introduced RxConnect they stopped updating Quick Picks because it is safer to just use drug names/strengths when typing in drugs. I think that is bunk personally - I would LOVE for the quick picks to be kept up to date.

I remember reading somewhere that when they introduced RxConnect they stopped updating Quick Picks because it is safer to just use drug names/strengths when typing in drugs. I think that is bunk personally - I would LOVE for the quick picks to be kept up to date.
There were specific ones that led to errors. A big one was MF500 vs MT500.

Reactions: 1 user
I got to be pretty fast at typing when I worked for CVS (once you've done it awhile you begin to predict the next field without thinking about it), but I never got into using the quick picks. If I still worked there I would definitely spend time getting to know the "as needed" codes though. As needed for nausea, itching, vomiting and such could save a lot of time.

...(once you've done it awhile you begin to predict the next field without thinking about it)...

I agree, although I get burned when it randomly jumps to a different field than it normally does, like jumping to days supply before I type in the sig (why RxConnect, why?!) or when a specific unexpected prompt pops up for like insurance or whatever. I also wish it buffered keystrokes better - it will randomly chop off like the first letter or two destroying my sig code or quick pick code. So annoying that I have to slow down so the computer can keep up!

I agree, although I get burned when it randomly jumps to a different field than it normally does, like jumping to days supply before I type in the sig (why RxConnect, why?!) or when a specific unexpected prompt pops up for like insurance or whatever. I also wish it buffered keystrokes better - it will randomly chop off like the first letter or two destroying my sig code or quick pick code. So annoying that I have to slow down so the computer can keep up!

"are you sure this day supply is correct? re-enter the quantity to match day supply" <enter> <enter> <credential> <enter>

I agree, although I get burned when it randomly jumps to a different field than it normally does, like jumping to days supply before I type in the sig (why RxConnect, why?!)
Because it's a unique controlled substance in your state, probably. Happens with testosterone in NY (where it's a CII) and ADHD meds in MA (where max days supply is different from opiate CII's).

Anyone know if there's a way to save other pharmacy information when doing transfers?

Anyone know if there's a way to save other pharmacy information when doing transfers?

Usually if you are doing serial transfers just select "Y" at the end to continue doing transfers from the same pharmacy and the first page of info will prepopulate (but not the second page). Once you exit out the info is gone forever and must be retyped every time. The info doesn't save.