CWRU vs UDM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

where2go2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been lurking this site for most of the application cycle, and finally decided to join and start a thread.I am trying to come to a final decision between the schools I have been accepted to, Case Western and Detroit Mercy.

Both schools cost about the same, are the same distance away from where I am from, and seem to have similar reputations. In addition, Cleveland and Detroit seem to be pretty similar cities. I was just looking for others' opinions on these two school, and which you feel is the better value.

At this point I would say I'm leaning towards Detroit Mercy, but not so much that it's a done deal.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about case western but Detroit's extremely strong clinical exposure is worth...in my opinion.

I think they were both pretty similar. Case has PBL, not so much at UDM. I think cleveland is nicer, so there's that. UDM's facilities are nice, but Case has a smaller class size. Overall it comes down to preferance, I think I would choose UDM over Case, but that's because UDM is closer to home for me. Cost wise I actually have ran some numbers and find that UDM is likely going to cost quite a bit more, but that's just based on the figures I've found. Quoted from them is misleading as they only give you years 1-3. I personally see UDM running their school as a business trying to make money (hense the larger class size and crazy tuition), so that deters me. Just some of my thoughts and opinions. Maybe they will help you. But overall I think the schools are both nice, I just like them for different reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they were both pretty similar. Case has PBL, not so much at UDM. I think cleveland is nicer, so there's that. UDM's facilities are nice, but Case has a smaller class size. Overall it comes down to preferance, I think I would choose UDM over Case, but that's because UDM is closer to home for me. Cost wise I actually have ran some numbers and find that UDM is likely going to cost quite a bit more, but that's just based on the figures I've found. Quoted from them is misleading as they only give you years 1-3. I personally see UDM running their school as a business trying to make money (hense the larger class size and crazy tuition), so that deters me. Just some of my thoughts and opinions. Maybe they will help you. But overall I think the schools are both nice, I just like them for different reasons.

Thank you very much for the reply! Personally I'm not too crazy about PBL, so that's one of the reasons I'm leaning more towards UDM.

I've been trying to compare the costs of the two, but I've been having some trouble because both break down fees differently on their sites. Could you share what information you found that indicated UDM would cost quite a bit more? Cost is certainly a major factor in my decision.

Thanks!

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but tuition alone was approximately 75k, now lets just say it's about 20k on top of that for living expenses and another 5k for other fees. That is 100k a year. I believe CWR gives more clear numbers (and less of a variation year to year than UDM) and quoted about 85-95k a year depending mainly on living expenses.

Sorry just double checked numbers, those are perio costs for tuition, actual dds tuition is about 65k, but comes out to a total of about 95000 a year with living. Similar costs, just feel out what fits best. I like CWRU because of the smaller overall class size, but that's just me.

bump. looking for opinions
( still left on the WL of these two. will likely have to make a snap decision at this point if accepted)

CoA is nearly identical. UDM has a reputation to be clinically better, but I think cleveland might be a better area than Detroit

This is just information gathered from other posts here, but if you are male, it probably won't make a difference where you go, but from what other's have said, they wouldn't want their wife or sister going to Detroit. Take it for what it's worth....

Are you sure you've been to Detroit?
Can you elaborate? are you saying Detroit is a lot worse?

And oh yeah another piece of information that I am not sure how much it matters:
CWRU is focused on interprofessional education
UDM is focused on private-practice model

i think that's their distinguishing emphasis.

i am most curious about their clinical education. i heard udm is better. but in what ways? and in the end, does it really matter?

Can you elaborate? are you saying Detroit is a lot worse?

And oh yeah another piece of information that I am not sure how much it matters:
CWRU is focused on interprofessional education
UDM is focused on private-practice model

i think that's their distinguishing emphasis.

i am most curious about their clinical education. i heard udm is better. but in what ways? and in the end, does it really matter?

In the ways that zero people on these forums have a clue what they're talking about because they have never attended both schools and cannot say for certain, or even with any sort of confidence, that one school is better training clinical aptitude than the other school.

And no, it doesn't matter. Any "deficiency" you perceive in your dental school clinical education will quickly be mitigated within a couple weeks of private practice.

This is just information gathered from other posts here, but if you are male, it probably won't make a difference where you go, but from what other's have said, they wouldn't want their wife or sister going to Detroit. Take it for what it's worth....

Yeah, screw that. Like my 5'10" 160 lbs. would survive in Detroit.

I heard CWRU gets a lot of distressed students.

So the two schools are about similar from what I've heard. I'm not too knowledgable about the school programs, but I'm totally knowledgable about Cleveland as a city. While location isn't the most important part I don't think, I do think I can give you some insight about one of the important aspects of choosing a school (location).

I'm from Cleveland. It's the most underrated city ever. It's so beautiful at the Case campus and downtown is so awesome. Case campus has a ton of architecture and culture around it in general (museums, severance hall [i.e. Houses one of the best orchestras in the world]). The nature in that part of Cleveland is soooo beautiful and has a lot of history behind it. Cleveland has so many festivals and concerts at amazing venues, and the people are friendly from what I've encountered the majority of my life. There's a lot of community commitment and an overall attitude of work hard, play hard. The bars and restaurants around Case and downtown are top notch.

I've been to Detroit multiple times (unfortunately) and I'm just not a fan. It seems a bit run down and while there is a lot of history, everything just pales in comparison to what Cleveland has to offer.

Oh, and SPORTS TEAMS.

That is all :) Hope this helps even just a little!

Disclaimer: of course I'm biased.

Reactions: 1 user