Cynicism -you have to earn it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLTDOC1

PGY-33
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another brilliant observation by Ed Leap.

In my book, you can be appropriately cynical as an EM physician after you have seen 10-15K patients on your own

http://edwinleap.com/you-have-to-earn-your-cynicism/

Members don't see this ad.

In my book, you can be appropriately cynical as an EM physician after you have seen 10-15K patients on your own

Hmm... 2 questions. 1. What about people that worked for years in medicine BEFORE med school and perhaps have seen that many patients on their own, just not as the EM physician? Can they be cynical since they have, in fact, seen just as many patients as you have but admittedly in a different role? 2. Can you explain why you believe people should not be able to express their personal opinion until some preset deadline is met?

1. Absolutely -previous work in EMS/nursing or healthcare certainly counts. You can be cynical of all aspects of humanity. We are talking about medically related issues
2. We live in the USA. Everyone is free to express their opinion(as many people openly do) - but dont you think there is a direct correlation between experience and validity

Members don't see this ad :)

He's a very good writer. I agree with the general concept that cynicism serves a purpose (defense mechanism) but will add that it needs balance, otherwise too much becomes soul crushing and can suffocate any sense of optimism or positivity. When your cynicism turns a blind eye not only to the hopelessness and decay, but also to the thanks, smiles and good outcomes, that's when "healthy cynicism" becomes "burnout." Trust me, I've been there. I've earned that cynicism card, and I'd turn it in at the first chance, if I could.

It makes me laugh, actually, because I can hear all the high-pitched whiny grumbling starting, from those he's calling out for not having earned the "Cynic Card," yet. "Hey what about me? I wanna be cynical, too. Umph."

He's firing a shot across your bow, flexing like King Kong, saying, "I'm the King of Cynicism. Don't dare challenge my throne!"

I say, "Let the Cynicism Olympics begin." I think I've got at least a shot at silver, to his gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
and I have met some prodigies -whose appropriate cynicism was wise beyond their years. I got mine the old fashioned way, slow roasted and carefully jaded for over a quarter century

and I have met some prodigies -whose appropriate cynicism was wise beyond their years. I got mine the old fashioned way, slow roasted and carefully jaded for over a quarter century

I've met some prodigal sons and daughters of cynicism too, far too misanthropic for their tender years. I'd hate to see them 10 years & 50,000 patients down the road. I suppose they'll transmogrify into Edwin Leap.

By the way, is Leap on this board? I know he posts on Sermo. My guess is that SDN is probably too "small potato" for him.

Last edited:
I'm "that guy" that you're talking about. Two years into being an attending, and my director calls me "the oldest young man I've ever met".

1. Absolutely -previous work in EMS/nursing or healthcare certainly counts. You can be cynical of all aspects of humanity. We are talking about medically related issues
2. We live in the USA. Everyone is free to express their opinion(as many people openly do) - but dont you think there is a direct correlation between experience and validity
I asked cuz one evaluation I had said "Be careful showing any cynicism this early in your young career" which I found interesting because unless you asked or knew me, how would you know if I'm early in my career or not? Because I was a 3rd or 4th yr med student at the time? As fate would have it the person who wrote that was like 3 or 4 years out of residency and as it turns out I happen to have over a decade as a paramedic before medical school. It would probably be a tossup who had actually seen more patients in their career so I had wondered if you thought pt count, years, or just plain experience as a medical provider counted as "time served". I tend to understand what you are saying in terms of someone fresh outta school or residency that never worked in medicine before playing the highly cynical almost burned out card but definitely would have disagreed if you said that it had to be solely as a primary EM physician. As for correlation with experience and validity... mmm, usually. Can't think of any good example off the top of my head when it doesn't but like others mentioned there are a few that are just natural keen on picking up on and building that cynical view. Whether that's good or bad who knows but I do think cynicism can be as much of a personality trait as it can be something you earn from time and experience.

I don't view cynicism as a bad thing. It is a finely honed tool that takes years to develop. If used correctly, it vastly aids your ability to diagnose and disposition. The "Catatonic" or "stroke" symptoms in a 19-year old female? Yeah I'll work you up, but 99% of the time you're getting a psych diagnosis. This pre-cognition frees my brain up to deal with "real" emergencies, like the 90-year old, demented, bed-bound, non-verbal patient who apparently had "chest pain". Yep, I'm just gonna admit that one after a few tests to show that I went through the motions.

I think cynicism is another way we refer to this thing we call "clinical gestalt". As a resident there are many times when I present a patient to an attending where I already have my mind made up with objective data that the patient has no serious pathology. We get some additional testing because "I think there's something there" and there is significant pathology.

I think cynicism is another way we refer to this thing we call "clinical gestalt". As a resident there are many times when I present a patient to an attending where I already have my mind made up with objective data that the patient has no serious pathology. We get some additional testing because "I think there's something there" and there is significant pathology.

Or Hughes can stare at a patient for two seconds and nail the dispo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked cuz one evaluation I had said "Be careful showing any cynicism this early in your young career" which I found interesting because unless you asked or knew me, how would you know if I'm early in my career or not? Because I was a 3rd or 4th yr med student at the time? As fate would have it the person who wrote that was like 3 or 4 years out of residency and as it turns out I happen to have over a decade as a paramedic before medical school. It would probably be a tossup who had actually seen more patients in their career so I had wondered if you thought pt count, years, or just plain experience as a medical provider counted as "time served". I tend to understand what you are saying in terms of someone fresh outta school or residency that never worked in medicine before playing the highly cynical almost burned out card but definitely would have disagreed if you said that it had to be solely as a primary EM physician. As for correlation with experience and validity... mmm, usually. Can't think of any good example off the top of my head when it doesn't but like others mentioned there are a few that are just natural keen on picking up on and building that cynical view. Whether that's good or bad who knows but I do think cynicism can be as much of a personality trait as it can be something you earn from time and experience.

Cynicism in med students or early residents is off-putting. Sometimes I've felt like it's entrapment due to them modeling our behavior, but I've had to tell trainees before that their level of cynicism was inappropriate for their level of training. Cynicism without experience is worrisome for not caring about the patient, which I feel is a fatal flaw in a doctor.

Cynicism in med students or early residents is off-putting. Sometimes I've felt like it's entrapment due to them modeling our behavior, but I've had to tell trainees before that their level of cynicism was inappropriate for their level of training. Cynicism without experience is worrisome for not caring about the patient, which I feel is a fatal flaw in a doctor.
And I can definitely see your point or why you would say/think that IF you lump every medical student into the same pile. As mentioned above, would you say that to any medical student regardless of their time in medicine/experience or are you agreeing that it's more directed towards the straight outta HS into college and straight into med school type people that have never held a job or had any true independent patient experience and not so much towards the people who chose to change careers or advance? It's just curious how so many people lump all med students in the same pile and in some aspects we are but in others not so much. Anyways, just a side opinion and I can tell you that my level of cynicism is not modeled after any attending I've met or known but by things I've seen and done over the years. It may not be the same thing as being an attending but it is the same patient population, experiences, and problems. I totally agree on the fresh outta HS into college and then med school bunch though... it takes time to develop gestalt, cynicism, and crust, lol. I guess all I'm trying to say is just make sure you know the person you are telling "for your level of training..." cuz they could possibly be someone completely different than you think and may have MANY good reasons to have that "cynical gestalt" as it was referred to earlier. If you don't do that then you are essentially doing the same thing as you think they are... making preformed judgements about a group of people based on the "norm" and expecting it to be true. Bottom line is get to know your people... both your patients and your colleagues... without preformed opinions or prejudices and you'll sometimes be amazed what you find out. Sometimes not, lol, that's what cynicism is for!

And I can definitely see your point or why you would say/think that IF you lump every medical student into the same pile. As mentioned above, would you say that to any medical student regardless of their time in medicine/experience or are you agreeing that it's more directed towards the straight outta HS into college and straight into med school type people that have never held a job or had any true independent patient experience and not so much towards the people who chose to change careers or advance? It's just curious how so many people lump all med students in the same pile and in some aspects we are but in others not so much. Anyways, just a side opinion and I can tell you that my level of cynicism is not modeled after any attending I've met or known but by things I've seen and done over the years. It may not be the same thing as being an attending but it is the same patient population, experiences, and problems. I totally agree on the fresh outta HS into college and then med school bunch though... it takes time to develop gestalt, cynicism, and crust, lol. I guess all I'm trying to say is just make sure you know the person you are telling "for your level of training..." cuz they could possibly be someone completely different than you think and may have MANY good reasons to have that "cynical gestalt" as it was referred to earlier. If you don't do that then you are essentially doing the same thing as you think they are... making preformed judgements about a group of people based on the "norm" and expecting it to be true. Bottom line is get to know your people... both your patients and your colleagues... without preformed opinions or prejudices and you'll sometimes be amazed what you find out. Sometimes not, lol, that's what cynicism is for!

There's definitely some carry over in terms of experience and its effect on cynicism. However, many of the paramedics I've known have had some issues early on in their medical training with attitudes they had carried over from their time on the bus. A doctor's "sick/not-sick" is different enough from a paramedic's to cause some initial bumps.

There's definitely some carry over in terms of experience and its effect on cynicism. However, many of the paramedics I've known have had some issues early on in their medical training with attitudes they had carried over from their time on the bus. A doctor's "sick/not-sick" is different enough from a paramedic's to cause some initial bumps.
I can buy that for the most part.

I want to start out by saying that strongly agree with your post. Although I do like this article, I find it slightly ridiculous how anyone would expect this younger generation of med students or residents to not turn cynical at such a young age. Cynicism is rampant amongst the most seasoned and accomplished EPs, the very same EPs that every resident and med student are trying to emulate. During my audition rotations, cynical med students may not well-liked but idealistic and open-minded med students are viewed as naive and idiotic. There is no incentive to not be cynical so long as the med student can keep his or her mouth shut.

Also, why would anyone listen to "don't be cynical" when all the actions and words of attendings are to the contrary? We hear far too many stories about malingering, stupid people, and drug addicts. They might be fun and entertaining to hear but if this is all med students are exposed to, don't be surprised if med students feel that they see the same everywhere.

As another former paramedic I completely hear what you are saying. I can't even begin to count the number of times someone has made the assumption that I'm fresh off the turnip truck just cause I wear a short white coat and therefore am totally incapable of performing even the most basic tasks (IVs, etc..). At, first I would try to explain that I had been a paramedic for 5 years. However, this seemed to come off as not taking criticism well or arguing with nurses/attendings. Even if they would understand it kind of just made the situation awkward. Plus, I don't think most people, even a lot of ED docs, really have any idea what happens in the prehospital environment. Add to this the fact that physicians don't really recognize any other type of medicine as being legitimate if it is not delivered by a physician. And to add to what Arcan alluded to, a lot of us do have issues with attitude. I know I had a horrible chip on my shoulder when I worked on the ambulance because that is the ONLY way to function. If you all think cynicism is necessary in the ED spend some time on the streets! But, alas I digress. What I'm trying to get at is that as much as it sucks to not get any credit for the knowledge and skills and service to your community, blah blah... I think your best option is to just let everyone think this IS your first rodeo and just grin and bear it. If people want to think you're an idiot just let them, deep down you know what you're made of.

The irony here, for me anyway is that when I'm honest with myself one of the main motivating factors for going to medical school was pride. I got tired of people judging me based off of my educational credentials. I wanted to prove to everybody that I was just as smart as they were! So, I left my awesome life where I was living in an awesome west coast city, surrounded by family, making good money, doing tons of hobbies I loved, with my fiancee, and moved to BFE where I'm freezing my ass off and have accrued 270K in debt. Yeah, I really showed them how smart I was! Not.

Pride, is indeed a very dangerous emotion.

As another former paramedic I completely hear what you are saying. I can't even begin to count the number of times someone has made the assumption that I'm fresh off the turnip truck just cause I wear a short white coat and therefore am totally incapable of performing even the most basic tasks (IVs, etc..). At, first I would try to explain that I had been a paramedic for 5 years. However, this seemed to come off as not taking criticism well or arguing with nurses/attendings. Even if they would understand it kind of just made the situation awkward. Plus, I don't think most people, even a lot of ED docs, really have any idea what happens in the prehospital environment. Add to this the fact that physicians don't really recognize any other type of medicine as being legitimate if it is not delivered by a physician. And to add to what Arcan alluded to, a lot of us do have issues with attitude. I know I had a horrible chip on my shoulder when I worked on the ambulance because that is the ONLY way to function. If you all think cynicism is necessary in the ED spend some time on the streets! But, alas I digress. What I'm trying to get at is that as much as it sucks to not get any credit for the knowledge and skills and service to your community, blah blah... I think your best option is to just let everyone think this IS your first rodeo and just grin and bear it. If people want to think you're an idiot just let them, deep down you know what you're made of.

The irony here, for me anyway is that when I'm honest with myself one of the main motivating factors for going to medical school was pride. I got tired of people judging me based off of my educational credentials. I wanted to prove to everybody that I was just as smart as they were! So, I left my awesome life where I was living in an awesome west coast city, surrounded by family, making good money, doing tons of hobbies I loved, with my fiancee, and moved to BFE where I'm freezing my ass off and have accrued 270K in debt. Yeah, I really showed them how smart I was! Not.

Agree with everything you said. I've gotten to the point that I don't even mention that I was a paramedic before unless it becomes completely relevant to the task at hand or I'm directly asked. That usually manifests with "You don't seem like a normal med student we're used to... did you do something in medicine before?" or something along those lines. I always took that to hopefully mean "... cuz you seem to do pretty well" as the unspoken intent of the question but perhaps they were thinking "... you cynical bastard!" lol! Who knows... I'm pretty sure I don't anymore :)

Haha. Yeah, I know what you are talking about. Help them start a "tough" IV and they all of a sudden get really confused. It's like, "holy cow, this med student can actually do something with her hands. Does not compute (said in robot voice)." To me, this is indicative of a major problem in medical education and that is med students, at least many places if not all (NYC is an exception I've heard), don't learn any basic nursing level stuff like IVs, foleys, NGTs, ET intubation, etc... People always think that as a physician you won't have to do these things.

This brings me to an awesome story told to me by a close friend/former co-worker of mine. He got this call to a FP's office for shortness of breath. Of course, he immediately starts thinking it's BS, why do these dorks call us all the time for this stuff, aren't they doctors, etc... Well, he shows up and he and his partner wheel the gurney in and much to their surprise find this 18 y/o kid supine on the floor with an ET tube sticking out of his mouth being ventilated by what was described as a "medieval looking bellows contraption" and at the helm was none other than this guy's FP just looking like this was just an ordinary day in the park. On the floor next to the patient was a laryngoscope that was also described as looking medieval. Apparently, this guy had gotten the laryngoscope as a graduation gift and had had it on a plaque on his office wall for 30+ years!!! What a badass!!! I salute you old FP doc with your medieval laryngoscope! May I one day be like you. Ok, I realize I'm ranting so I'm just gonna cut myself off.

Being "cynical" can manifest itself in many different ways.

Take the patient who comes to the ER 3 times a week wih CP.
Cynical doctor A will blow this patient off and send him home with a potential MI.
Cynical doctor B will admit ths guy 3 times a week, because he doesn't want to get burned by the broken system.

Both approaches can lead to problems.

As I move a little further along in my training I'm trying to use my clinical reasoning to not work up every complaint that walks in the door.

Am I cynical? Probably a little too much.
I'm beginning to realize that some of the patients I most dislike may need the biggest workup.
Not because they actually have something, but because my feelings can cause a blindspot in my clinical decision making.

Better a cynical resident/junior attending than an apathetic one.

(not that either one is a good thing)

Agreed.

I just stopped telling people after a while. Most people in the hospital don't even know the difference between a EMT and a medic let alone a flight medic. Plus everyone (nurses/residents/faculty) has their own way of doing things. If I'm lucky enough to have someone take time out of their busy day to teach me something, I feel like a huge jerk saying "oh by the way i've probably intubated more critical pts during my career than your 6mos of residency"

Also, why would anyone listen to "don't be cynical" when all the actions and words of attendings are to the contrary? We hear far too many stories about malingering, stupid people, and drug addicts. They might be fun and entertaining to hear but if this is all med students are exposed to, don't be surprised if med students feel that they see the same everywhere.

It's hard enough to read "things I learned from my patients" without turning in to a lifelong cynic.

Gotta disagree on that. There are tons of graduating medical students who are wise beyond their years in their cynicism. The ones who weren't cynical, usually had some screws loose somewhere.