D.O. applying Allopathic Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesia WannaBe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying for allopathic Anesthesia and recently got my USMLE step II score back, here are my stats:

USMLE 1- 229
USMLE 2- 219

COMLEX 1- 597
COMLEX2- TBD

I'm pretty bummed about my usmle step II score, i'm not sure what happened. I know it looks bad to do worse than you did on step 1, but at this point i'm way below the avg which is a 238 w/ a std of 19 (holy crap right). I'm not sure what the prognosis is for my future hopes as an anesthesia resident. I got all my electives in line, so I am still going to go through with them.

And to top it off I failed the COMLEX P.E.

Screw that test, I rescheduled to take it ASAP and am awaiting the score for that. Hopefully they understand that it was just a hiccup and that the test is subjective as hell.

Any advice on what I should do? I know this isn't the best picture, but my Step 1 scores are reasonable I feel. Do you think this is enough to kiss allo anesthesia good bye? i'll take any input/jokes/insults whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you plan on ranking any DO programs? The things against you are avg step 1 for anesthesia, below avg step 2, and the PE thing. I would try to run your situation by as many who just matched at your school as possible and get a feel for their opinion. I really have no idea because I'm applying soon too as a DO. But from what I've heard we need to do better than avg MD applicants.

At least I think a number of allo programs will take a look at your comlex scores. They may not know the percentiles exactly, but they know it's not common to see close to 600 and higher.

Will you have a passing score on the PE before apps go out? They'll want an explanation. Did you just get nervous or not prepare enough?

Do you plan on ranking any DO programs? The things against you are avg step 1 for anesthesia, below avg step 2, and the PE thing. I would try to run your situation by as many who just matched at your school as possible and get a feel for their opinion. I really have no idea because I'm applying soon too as a DO. But from what I've heard we need to do better than avg MD applicants.

At least I think a number of allo programs will take a look at your comlex scores. They may not know the percentiles exactly, but they know it's not common to see close to 600 and higher.

Will you have a passing score on the PE before apps go out? They'll want an explanation. Did you just get nervous or not prepare enough?

yeah i know i really screwed the pooch on my step 2. and i already retook the PE which i anticipate should be fine. i have a good explanation lined up for that as well though of course.. I didnt rank any DO anesthesia programs bc i was told by many that I'll face problems down the line bc most hospitals dont like AOA anesthesia. i got two electives this fall and im planning to go hard on those. i got a bomb letter from the chairman of anesthesia at my school, its just that im not sure theyl care to read it once they see my scores though. this sucks man.

some anesthesia programs with DO directors may like my comlex, but i dunno about the vast majority. most ppl i asked said dont worry about the PE just fix it and pass... I dunno.

I think it will be really helpful to have a passing score on PE during interviews. Yeah me either I've heard the same. Weird anesthesia seems to be such an exception. I haven't heard of it being so bad in other fields. I think there are a couple really solid DO gas programs though and having residency vs not one is better than reapplying especially with accreditation changes coming soon. There are a ton of allo programs so don't hold back with applications. Letters are a part of the package as much as step 2 and grades. Anyways, best of luck