D.o chances? 3.5 with retakes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GmcTruck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a second semester junior at a state school on the east coast, I will end up with a 3.5 after retakes of 3 classes and 2 W's.
My majors are as such, I am a duel major in Psychology and Human Nutrition. My Science GPA is also a 3.5.

E.C's: When I finish with undergraduate degree I will have 3,000+ clinical hours as a E.R scribe with ScribeAmerica. My hours are high because I work to pay many bills during school. I work with 12 doctors and 5 of them are osteopathic doctors. I will have 3-4 LOR from these doctors. I have a very interactive learning atmosphere as my department has DO medical students doing rotations monthly. This is my strongest experience.
MCAT: Old scale: 30

100 hours hospice volunteer hours.
150 various volunteer hours.

I would like to seek anybodies opinion on if my majors being untraditional will hold me back. I am trying to get into any osteopathic medical school new or old, particularly in an urban environment. I will be applying in 2017, so what would a 23 old applicant chances with my numbers look like?

Members don't see this ad.

You aren't that untraditional. You'll also need a committee letter or 2-3 science/other professor letters. You could definitely go DO with those stats, assuming there is nothing bad unmentioned. You have taken the new mcat?

I am currently a second semester junior at a state school on the east coast, I will end up with a 3.5 after retakes of 3 classes and 2 W's.
My majors are as such, I am a duel major in Psychology and Human Nutrition. My Science GPA is also a 3.5.

E.C's: When I finish with undergraduate degree I will have 3,000+ clinical hours as a E.R scribe with ScribeAmerica. My hours are high because I work to pay many bills during school. I work with 12 doctors and 5 of them are osteopathic doctors. I will have 3-4 LOR from these doctors. I have a very interactive learning atmosphere as my department has DO medical students doing rotations monthly. This is my strongest experience.

I would like to seek anybodies opinion on if my majors being untraditional will hold me back. I am trying to get into any osteopathic medical school new or old, particularly in an urban environment. I will be applying in 2017, so what would a 23 old applicant chances with my numbers look like?

Solid chances at almost all DO schools. You're degrees don't matter, but I've seen tons of Psych and a couple nutrition majors anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't remember exactly, but I think I had 11-13 Ws on my transcript and few D's and C's that I retook for A's. Had an average MCAT/GPA. Got ii's from 2/3 schools I applied to, and 2 acceptances out of the 3 interviews I went on. Make sure you can explain the reasons for the retakes, and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine for DO but when will your MCAT expire? Check and see what schools will still be accepting the old test.

Chances very nice.