D.O. Chances - Low GPA, Lots Of EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted607875

X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your chances are very low right now! You would be auto screened out with your current stats.You should do some hefty grade replacement and get both of your GPAs >3.0 at least. Higher would be better. DO is becoming more and more competitive every year. Good luck on your MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree that retaking classes with low grades (for the same credit hours or greater, need not be at the same school), especially any prerequisites below a C+, so you can replace the original grade with an A, is the fastest way to get your GPAs higher so you will pass automatic computer-driven cut-offs. Figure out what it would take to get your GPAs above a 3.0, using the AACOMAS calculator in the WAMC sticky, "Please read before posting".

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your ECs are great, but as stated above, without an MCAT of 36+ you will have an extremely difficult time even being considered for an interview. If your gpa is even a C+ average for UG, how will schools expect you to preform at a graduate level? Ultimately grades are most important and as you skim SDN you will find that no amount or caliber of ECs will make up for poor coursework. I am usually really positive ab chances but your GPAs are far too low. I would say shoot for at least a 36+ MCAT to be considered for DO. I'm not the best resource but I'm not even sure an post-bac would help. You'll probably have to go back and re-take many/all of your prerequisites and get at least a B+ in them.

I think your ECs are great, but as stated above, without an MCAT of 36+ you will have an extremely difficult time even being considered for an interview. If your gpa is even a C+ average for UG, how will schools expect you to preform at a graduate level? Ultimately grades are most important and as you skim SDN you will find that no amount or caliber of ECs will make up for poor coursework. I am usually really positive ab chances but your GPAs are far too low. I would say shoot for at least a 36+ MCAT to be considered for DO. I'm not the best resource but I'm not even sure an post-bac would help. You'll probably have to go back and re-take many/all of your prerequisites and get at least a B+ in them.

Dude where are you getting this stuff from? You don't need a 36+ to get to a DO school... A 28-30 is stellar.

Dude where are you getting this stuff from? You don't need a 36+ to get to a DO school... A 28-30 is stellar.

Look at OPs GPA. Are you inferring that he has a stellar chance for DO if he got a 28 on the MCAT re-take at this point?

Look at OPs GPA. Are you inferring that he has a stellar chance for DO if he got a 28 on the MCAT re-take at this point?

Yes. A 36+ is reasonable for a solid MD school, which OP has no chance. Grade replacement plus postbacc work is enough to bump OP's GPA to a 3.2 and a 28 is enough.

I am in the process of retaking courses.. I retook several this semester and will be retaking 15 hours in the fall. Although the semester isn't over for us yet, the grades will be there. Assuming the same in the fall I should be around a 3.2. I guess I should have actually asked, is it worth it to apply this semester with the understanding that I'm in the process of retaking classes, or wait until the 2015 cycle after the grades are posted?
I would not suggest applying this late for the 2014 cycle.

What will your GPA be at the end of the current term if you use grade substitution? Are you taking any summer classes?

As it stands I think you essentially no shot. I would highly suggest retaking the MCAT, retaking any courses you got a C or lower in, and applying in 2015.

No I don't plan on applying for the 2014 cycle, I'm not sure it's even open still. I want to apply for the class beginning August 2015

I think that's too soon. You should take another year to improve

You're not competitive. Retake all F/D/C science grades. Why do you think you'd do well in medical school, given the poor performance in UG and on MCAT?

QUOTE="tlkennedy3, post: 15157744, member: 607875"]I have a B.A. in Biology

cGPA: 2.86
sGPA: 2.75
MCAT: 24S (retaking May 8, 2014) (current MCAT score was taken 2 years ago before organic chemistry and physics with very little studying, meant to take it simply for practice)

My EC's are what really make my application. For starters, I have been a paramedic for several years and have worked full time in the field doing critical care transport while going to school. I became an EMT-B by going to night classes during undergrad, then became employed full time as an EMT-B and went to paramedic school at night (also during full time undergraduate coursework). Working full time, going to night classes and clinicals, and doing ~15 hours of coursework over the course of a couple years is what tanked my GPA.

I have a ton of research experience in the field of physiology and critical care transport, including published research on two projects. One of them was critical care medicine for the USAF. The other was surgical procedures in zero gravity with NASA. I was selected to fly with NASA on their zero gravity plane, and flew several experiments testing the feasibility of performing surgical procedures during space flight.

I have several faculty members from my research who have said they would write LOR's. I should mention that my research was through an allopathic medical school, and these faculty members are professors at said medical school. LOR's from physicians is also not a problem. My medical director trusts me to intubate, perform cricothyrotomies, needle thoracotomies, and push a slew of medicines based on my clinical judgement in the field. It's safe to say that several ER physicians have seen me practice medicine at the physician level successfully on numerous occasions.

I'm looking to apply for the next cycle to several DO schools. Would like to know what my chances are.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users
Do as Goro says, then apply during next year's cycle (to enter August 2016). You only want to have to apply once, so it's best to have your ducks in a row first, then apply early.

Good luck.