D.O. Friendly ACGME Anesthesiology Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joy05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have done my research in looking at the current residents for all the ACGME anesthesiology residencies, but some have no lists or do not specify whether their residents are MDs or DOs. If anyone knows anything about the following list of ACGME residencies and how DO friendly they are, please let me know. Thank you!!!!

Arizona: Mayo Clinic

CO: University of Colorado

FL: Mayo Clinic

GA: Emory

IL: University of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush

IN: Indiana University School of Medicine

LA: Oschner Clinic Foundation, Tulane, LSU (not Shreveport)

MI: University of Michigan

MN: University of Minnesota, Mayo Clinic at Rochester

MS: University of Mississippi

MO: University of Missouri at Kansas City

NE: University of Nebraska

NJ: St. Barnabas, New York College of Medicine at St. Joseph's

NM: University of New Mexico

New York
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System Program
New York Methodist
St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
University of Rochester
University of Buffalo
Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
NYU
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
SUNY Upstate Medical Center
SUNY at Stonybrook

Ohio
Case Western Reserve
Cleveland Clinic

Virginia
VCU
Virginia Mason Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Maine and Albany are also very DO friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Added notes on the ones I'm familiar with... more suggestions after the break

CO: University of Colorado -- Relatively DO friendly

IL: University of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush -- Rush is very DO friendly

NJ: St. Barnabas, New York College of Medicine at St. Joseph's -- St. Bs is very DO friendly

New York:
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System Program -- Very DO friendly
New York Methodist
St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center -- Relatively DO friendly
University of Rochester -- Very DO friendly
University of Buffalo -- Very DO friendly
NYU
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn -- Very DO friendly
SUNY at Stonybrook

Ohio:
Case Western Reserve -- Very DO friendly
Cleveland Clinic -- Very DO friendly

Virginia:
VCU

Washington:

Not on your list but also DO friendly: Maine, Baystate, Cooper, many of the Pennsylvania programs, Kentucky, the Detroit programs, Utah and maybe UC Davis. Note that Virginia Mason is in Washington State, not Virginia.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know anything about programs in New York? And the Mayo Clinics? (in AZ, FL and MN)?

From your list: Case and CCF are very DO friendly, as Koan noted.
A few general points:

1) Geography matters a lot more than you probably think. Medical College of Georgia has taken 10% DOs in the last 3 years, and rejected me immediately. UPenn has < 5% DOs and interviewed me very early on.

2) Numbers don't really give a great picture of how DO-friendly a place is. For example, UCincy has almost no DOs but interviewed me right away and said they love DOs, they just haven't matched any recently by chance.

3) I also heard a bunch of times on interviews that they don't care about which degree you have. Only a few even brought it up. It's interview talk, so it's largely recruiting half-truths, but it was reassuring. Ask me again March 20th.

4) There's no predicting the entire process. Five Philly-area programs.... UPenn, Cooper, Drexel, Temple all interviewed me. Jefferson rejected me quickly. In Cleveland, CCF and Case/UH offered me interviews. Metro rejected me (3 times, actually, each 2 weeks apart).

If I could sum up "how to get an interview as a DO" in one word, it would be: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users
To OP: Would you be so kind as to post the ones you found during your research? Please. Thank you.

Florida, as a state is a very DO friendly state and Mayo will take just COMLEX so one would inference that Mayo Jax is a DO friendly school, however as you stated, there isn't a residency list to reference.
I spoke with some folks at IU and they claim to be DO friendly. With the new DO school right up the street, I would imagine that to be correct but I've seen at least one example in the South where that is not the case.

GA: Emory - Not D.O. friendly. MCG is D.O. friendly

IL: Rush - D.O. friendly

IN: Indiana University School of Medicine - D.O. friendly

I've been on 16 anesthesia residency interviews this season, and I think I've met a DO applicant or resident at every one. Wouldn't it be easier to just make a list of places that are NOT accepting of DOs? Are any programs even willing to explicitly state that they don't consider osteopathic medical students?

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone chime in on the louisiana programs being DO friendly....specifically Tulane?

What people need to realize is D.O make up less than 20% of med school applicants...so the lack of D.O in a program does not mean they are anti D.O. Also not every 250 plus reasearch MD guy are getting interviews at all the top schools...so just because you have a 250 as a D.O and you got rejected doesn't mean the program is anti DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually use FRIEDA to figure out whether a program is DO friendly or not. From the research I've conducted:

the places that are NOT DO friendly whatsoever are as follows:

Mount Sinai, NYC
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Albert Einstein
Stanford
Emory
Duke
UCSF
MGH
B&W's
Most of the CA programs

the places that will probably take the 1 DO with 250+, research, etc. are as follows:

Penn
Johns Hopkins
Mayo Clinic
Beth Israel Deaconess
Michigan
Baylor
UNC
Northwestern (Not entirely sure on whether they are anti-DO completely or not)
UChicago
Vanderbilt

That's all I can think of right now, but feel free to add to the list. Also, just because someone gets an interview somewhere doesn't mean they have a legitimate chance of matching there. A lot of places do it to look PC, but the proof is in the stats. The stats NEVER lie.
From the match list thread, i saw that one DO (from AZCOM) matched MGH this year.

I usually use FRIEDA to figure out whether a program is DO friendly or not. From the research I've conducted:

the places that are NOT DO friendly whatsoever are as follows:

Mount Sinai, NYC
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Albert Einstein
Stanford
Emory
Duke
UCSF
MGH
B&W's
Most of the CA programs

the places that will probably take the 1 DO with 250+, research, etc. are as follows:

Penn
Johns Hopkins
Mayo Clinic
Beth Israel Deaconess
Michigan
Baylor
UNC
Northwestern (Not entirely sure on whether they are anti-DO completely or not)
UChicago
Vanderbilt

That's all I can think of right now, but feel free to add to the list. Also, just because someone gets an interview somewhere doesn't mean they have a legitimate chance of matching there. A lot of places do it to look PC, but the proof is in the stats. The stats NEVER lie.

This is actually a pretty solid list. I'm a DO with 260+ on both steps and I think a pretty solid all around application. I interviewed at several places on the second list and subsequently matched at one of them. Nothing but flat out rejections from UCSF/Stanford/Duke/BWH/MGH. I think there is also some regional component to invites from that first list of programs as well since many of them aren't near DO schools and are unsure of the overall clinical education quality.

St. Louis University is full of many DO's. Consistently DO friendly.

I want to add that Emory Anesthesiology residency director is a DO.
Doesn't really get any more DO friendly than that

U Wash has a few, anyone know what it takes to break into that residency?

Well i dont know what to really tell you.
I know the Emory Anesthesiology clinical director personally and have shadowed with her. I specifically asked about DO and residency, and she told me that either path will be fine with Emory. She even offered to connect me with the DO residency director.

Proof is in the data. Anyone can say or claim anything, but a place that has literally ZERO DOs in the CA 1-3 classes is the opposite of “DO friendly.” Might an exceptional candidate get far along or even a spot? Sure! But the average candidate needs to be smart and apply discerningly.

Hello everyone! I have done my research in looking at the current residents for all the ACGME anesthesiology residencies, but some have no lists or do not specify whether their residents are MDs or DOs. If anyone knows anything about the following list of ACGME residencies and how DO friendly they are, please let me know. Thank you!!!!

CO: University of Colorado

IL: University of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush

NJ: St. Barnabas, New York College of Medicine at St. Joseph's

New York
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System Program
New York Methodist
St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
University of Rochester
University of Buffalo
NYU
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
SUNY at Stonybrook

Ohio
Case Western Reserve
Cleveland Clinic

Virginia
VCU

University of Kentucky has a fair number of DOs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting no one has mentioned Hopkins yet. In a class of 25 they usually have anywhere from 2-5 DO’s