D.O. Hopeful! Do I have a chance this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOHopeful2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a fairly new member to SDN though I have been casually misusing this great resource over my undergraduate years to make myself aware of my noncompetitive stats... I do not recommend doing this since it becomes a hard habit to drop! However, my love for this field remains unshaken... even when considering competing against the 3.8/40+ students of the nation (hats off to ya'll) :) . Anyway, I would really appreciate any and all feedback for my resume/CV/stats , etc. Also, any recommendations for any/all schools would be great. Thank you all.

State: California
University: Top 20
Major: Biology B.S.
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.1
non-sGPA: 3.7
MCAT: (scheduled for November) - scoring 25-27 on released tests
ECs: -600+ hours conducting research
-1000+ structured, quality clinical rotations
-2 years leadership positions in a club
-50 hours environment maintenance/volunteering

-LORs: Postdoc, Clinical work

*Will formally shadow a DO in primary care soon.

I KNOW THIS IS A LENGTHY POST! I am so grateful to anyone who will give me any guidance on what I am missing or need for any particular school. I do not have a preference for any particular school...just a particularly wonderful profession. One regret I had in my undergrad was that I did not ask for any help or concise guidance from the people around me so here goes...!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alrighty, so I am an applicant this cycle as well so I am by no means an expert, but from what I can gather, you seem to be in a good position to be applying! Your ECs seem great and while your sGPA may be on the lower side, I've heard that DO schools look upon upward trends very favorably! Have you submitted your AACOMAS app yet? If not, try to get that in ASAP!! At this point in the cycle, it is taking about 6ish+ weeks to get verified. Also, I scored a 25 on my first MCAT and while it may not be horrible, it's also a terrible in - between score that makes it really panic-inducing to apply to some of those schools that have higher MCAT scores. You have a month, so really try to get your MCAT ranges between 27-30+. Try to score a 27+ on the real deal and I think you'd be good to go. Of course, @Goro, who is an ADCOM member at a DO school, will be able to give you much more valuable information. Also, I would definitely try to get a DO LOR since many have said that that shows that you've gone that extra mile and is very helpful. Not all schools require one (research the ones that do!) so if you don't have on/can't get one on time, it's not the end of the world. Again, I'm just an applicant myself so hopefully this is helpful! Definitely try to get your app in stat! Even if you just want to designate one school on it to get the verification process started. I believe Goro and others have said that November is still okay to apply since the DO cycle is longer. Apply smartly and broadly, and once your MCAT is done, start pre-writing secondaries so you can turn them in as soon as you start receiving them. I wish you the best luck-for both the app and your upcoming MCAT!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply broadly to DO schools and you'll be fine, OP.

Alrighty, so I am an applicant this cycle as well so I am by no means an expert, but from what I can gather, you seem to be in a good position to be applying! Your ECs seem great and while your sGPA may be on the lower side, I've heard that DO schools look upon upward trends very favorably! Have you submitted your AACOMAS app yet? If not, try to get that in ASAP!! At this point in the cycle, it is taking about 6ish+ weeks to get verified. Also, I scored a 25 on my first MCAT and while it may not be horrible, it's also a terrible in - between score that makes it really panic-inducing to apply to some of those schools that have higher MCAT scores. You have a month, so really try to get your MCAT ranges between 27-30+. Try to score a 27+ on the real deal and I think you'd be good to go. Of course, @Goro, who is an ADCOM member at a DO school, will be able to give you much more valuable information. Also, I would definitely try to get a DO LOR since many have said that that shows that you've gone that extra mile and is very helpful. Not all schools require one (research the ones that do!) so if you don't have on/can't get one on time, it's not the end of the world. Again, I'm just an applicant myself so hopefully this is helpful! Definitely try to get your app in stat! Even if you just want to designate one school on it to get the verification process started. I believe Goro and others have said that November is still okay to apply since the DO cycle is longer. Apply smartly and broadly, and once your MCAT is done, start pre-writing secondaries so you can turn them in as soon as you start receiving them. I wish you the best luck-for both the app and your upcoming MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)

That is great advice regarding the time it takes for verification. I still have yet to submit the application. I will hopefully try to find a local DO soon although there seems to be only a few physicians that actually practice in my choice specialty of primary care. Thank you so much for your kind words and well wishes, DreamMed. The info is very reassuring! All the best to you too this cycle!