D.O. Transitional Year Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melkor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the easier/cush TYs have as much bias against DOs as specialties like derm, rad onc etc do. From what I've read it seems like these programs have more tunnel vision for high board scores but I haven't found much in terms of the chances for DOs (with the same high board scores as MD counterpart). As a DO should I be applying to 30+ of these programs in order to secure a spot?

Members don't see this ad.

U can check the list of current residents and see if programs have any DO resident. If u have good scores u should pass the filter. Although I don't recall running into any DO Ty residents during my interview season at the cushier programs

I was wondering if some of the easier/cush TYs have as much bias against DOs as specialties like derm, rad onc etc do. From what I've read it seems like these programs have more tunnel vision for high board scores but I haven't found much in terms of the chances for DOs (with the same high board scores as MD counterpart). As a DO should I be applying to 30+ of these programs in order to secure a spot?
1. This is not bias. When the majority of your applicants are 250+ US MD applicants, why bother taking the risk on a DO student?
2. You guys have an entire internship class not offered to US MDs, the DO Traditional Rotating Internship.

You are more likely to match into a cush Prelim Medicine program as a DO at a community program than into a TY.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. This is not bias. When the majority of your applicants are 250+ US MD applicants, why bother taking the risk on a DO student?
2. You guys have an entire internship class not offered to US MDs, the DO Traditional Rotating Internship.

You are more likely to match into a cush Prelim Medicine program as a DO at a community program than into a TY.

First off, thanks for the reply. I think I will apply to around 10 prelim programs as back ups at this point and just see what happens at the TYs I'm applying to.

I'm not sure but your first point does kinda sound like the definition of bias to me if I (or other DO's for that matter) also have 250+ (or 260+ for that matter) scores and the reason to not choose a DO (who would otherwise be a better overall applicant) is to "not bother taking the risk". Perhaps my definition of bias is inaccurate.

As for your other point, I'm just staying away from the AOA match because I'm only applying to ACGME advanced programs and I didn't want their to be any problems if I did a DO traditional rotating internship and then find out it actually didn't count for my advanced ACGME program. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are on that whole thing but I'm confident enough to match at some prelim/ty that I didn't want to risk having something like that happening.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice for the prelim programs so I'll definitely add around 10 to my list.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, thanks for the reply. I think I will apply to around 10 prelim programs as back ups at this point and just see what happens at the TYs I'm applying to.

I'm not sure but your first point does kinda sound like the definition of bias to me if I (or other DO's for that matter) also have 250+ (or 260+ for that matter) scores and the reason to not choose a DO (who would otherwise be a better overall applicant) is to "not bother taking the risk". Perhaps my definition of bias is inaccurate.

As for your other point, I'm just staying away from the AOA match because I'm only applying to ACGME advanced programs and I didn't want their to be any problems if I did a DO traditional rotating internship and then find out it actually didn't count for my advanced ACGME program. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are on that whole thing but I'm confident enough to match at some prelim/ty that I didn't want to risk having something like that happening.

Anyways, I appreciate the advice for the prelim programs so I'll definitely add around 10 to my list.
Tag: @DermViser for addressing DO vs MD bias at competitive programs. The fact of the matter is, DOs might as well pretend their step score is 20 points less than an MD applicant when competing for spots at competitive places. I'm just being realistic here.

I'll put it this way, I interviewed at 10 of the more cush TYs in the northeast. I didn't see a single DO resident. I also interviewed at some Prelim Med programs like Lankenau that had DO residents in prelim positions through the ACGME match. Lankenau actually offers AOA and ACGME positions, so look for places like it.

Best of luck. I'd really look hard for places like Lankenau (http://www.mainlinehealth.org/imresidency) that take DOs and MDs into prelims.

Reactions: 1 users