Other OT-Related Information D-PT VS OT-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylanh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are many threads but I want to know from recent grads/or pre-OT students,Wondering if anybody here went through this dilemma?

I have shadowed both and still like both and still confused.

Hows the job outlook for OT compared to DPT?

I know they get paid a little less?

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing I would suggest is to not let the income factor too heavily in your decision. Both national averages are virtually identical via salary.com (OTs are actually paid about $1000 more per year;)); the difference will come into play depending on the setting and if you choose to do PRN work outside of your facility, etc. I also doubt that there will be much difference between the career outlooks between the two careers, but I could be wrong on that- I haven't looked too far into it.

My suggestion is to go into the career that you feel like you can do for the rest of your life (cliche but true). Some of the reasons why I chose OT over PT were due to the more personal relationships I felt I would be able to have with patients, OT seemed to require a lot more critical thinking on a patient-by-patient basis, and I particularly enjoy the impact OT has on patients' daily living environment and helping to restore functionality and independence.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!

Reactions: 1 users
The first thing I would suggest is to not let the income factor too heavily in your decision. Both national averages are virtually identical via salary.com (OTs are actually paid about $1000 more per year;)); the difference will come into play depending on the setting and if you choose to do PRN work outside of your facility, etc. I also doubt that there will be much difference between the career outlooks between the two careers, but I could be wrong on that- I haven't looked too far into it.

My suggestion is to go into the career that you feel like you can do for the rest of your life (cliche but true). Some of the reasons why I chose OT over PT were due to the more personal relationships I felt I would be able to have with patients, OT seemed to require a lot more critical thinking on a patient-by-patient basis, and I particularly enjoy the impact OT has on patients' daily living environment and helping to restore functionality and independence.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in making your decision!

thanks this makes sense

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there are many threads but I want to know from recent grads/or pre-OT students,Wondering if anybody here went through this dilemma?

I have shadowed both and still like both and still confused.

Hows the job outlook for OT compared to DPT?

I know they get paid a little less?

thoughts?

They are both great choices. Pay, job outlook, and work settings are fairly similar for both. I'd say go with the one that fits your strengths. If you find yourself more drawn to topics such as kinesiology/exercise science, go PT. If you find yourself more drawn to psychology/cognition, go OT. You need to have a strong knowledge base in both of those topics to succeed in either profession, imo, but the emphasis is different.

Reactions: 1 users