D1 or D2 Opinion on Senior Year Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergraduate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For my senior year Spring semester, I am required to take one class for my major (Evolution), and I would like an opinion from a current dental student. Out of these three classes, which two have helped you prepare the best for dental school?

Microbiology
Human Anatomy (I did take the EXSCI equivalent of this class previously)
Physiology

Or should I just take all four and have 16 credit hours my last semester of undergraduate because all of these classes are equally important?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

For my senior year Spring semester, I am required to take one class for my major (Evolution), and I would like an opinion from a current dental student. Out of these three classes, which two have helped you prepare the best for dental school?

Microbiology
Physiology

Or should I just take all four and have 16 credit hours my last semester of undergraduate because all of these classes are equally important?

Thank you!

I wouldn't slam yourself if you don't have to. Was that ex.sci anatomy intense? Cadaver exposure? I thought I'd forget a lot of anatomy, but the previous exposure was beneficial. It's just a different language and a little shocking if you've never had it. Maybe your exercise edition will suffice. Micro is just...annoying. You've probably had enough basics in other bio (maybe?). Of those three, given a little previous anatomy exposure, I'd do physiology IF you're set on taking something. Just for exposure. An overview sort of thing, because it hits pretty heavy. Then I'd probably go with anatomy as a second choice. Maybe I just hate micro. Memorization fiesta.

I wouldn't slam yourself if you don't have to. Was that ex.sci anatomy intense? Cadaver exposure? I thought I'd forget a lot of anatomy, but the previous exposure was beneficial. It's just a different language and a little shocking if you've never had it. Maybe your exercise edition will suffice. Micro is just...annoying. You've probably had enough basics in other bio (maybe?). Of those three, given a little previous anatomy exposure, I'd do physiology IF you're set on taking something. Just for exposure. An overview sort of thing, because it hits pretty heavy. Then I'd probably go with anatomy as a second choice. Maybe I just hate micro. Memorization fiesta.

Thank you for the response. The EXSCI was this book: ISBN 0-8036-2363-1. There was no cadaver exposure unfortunately...It was beneficial for some of the terminology, but there was too much muscle/kinesiology sort of thing.

I was leaning towards physiology I think for one. Was there a lot of microbiology to memorize the first/second year in dental school? If so, I would rather get a step ahead now haha. Whichever class (micro or human anatomy) does dental school go more in depth is the question here, I think. If its both, I have no problem taking all four its just that I'd rather take a non-science class ie. public speaking just to better myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm that is hard because all 3 of those classes are hit pretty hard in dental school. I would rank them , physio, anatomy, then micro, only because you will quickly forget all the micro before you get to dental school. At least I did. Anatomy was pretty intense overall but you have taken some anatomy already. I think its OK if you have not had cadaver exposure. I could see physio being a challenge if you haven't had any yet.

Hello everyone,

Microbiology
Physiology

Thank you!

All three will give you a leg up. I wish I had learned Micro better in undergrad, it would have made dental school easier. Where are you going to undergrad?

Thank you for the input everyone. I attend a small liberal arts school in the midwest.

I would have no problem taking all four of these classes, but in all reality I would also like to take a business law class.

Are any of these pre-reqs for your schools? All of this is covered in depth. Micro seems most annoying. But as mentioned, it's hard to keep that memorized and you'll end up cramming that info for boards anyway. But then again, I attend a school who requires anatomy, physio, micro, and biochm. I don't know about other curriculums, but I remember thinking that our prerequisites made total sense after i started. It would be hard to survive D1 in my case without those. But physio and biochm stand out.

Last edited:
Take them all. 16 credit hours isn't that much and it will help you prepare better for busy semesters in D school (like 2nd year with 24+ credit hours) I took Histo, Micro, and a cadaver lab course my last semester and never regretted it. If I had to choose 1 of your options I'd go with physiology.

agree.Then I'd probably go with anatomy as a second choice.thanks
15.gif

Thank you for the input everyone! Sounds as if I will take all four classes and forego the business class.

I do meet all the prerequisites for the schools I applied to because they just require "thee upper level biology courses." Biochemistry is a prerec for me, which I am taking this fall.