dalhousie pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CallMeMaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone applying this year? and if so, has your application disappeared under the admissions section of dalonline?

Members don't see this ad.

more spots for me i guess :p. Seriously though, nobody here's applying? I just don't know anybody else applying this year and figured it'd be nice to have someone to chat with about this whole procedure lol.

I applied this year!
And yes my application was removed from the website too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied this year. My application has also disappeared. Anyone have any idea when we will be contacted about interviews?

Sweet, nice to have some fellow applicants here! I was just looking at the thread from last year and they got their calls on the 20th so probably 2 weeks or so from now. I'm starting to get a bit nervous/excited haha. Any of you guys apply before?

This is my first time applying. I am so nervous. I just want to find out :p
Any of you from out of province? I am.

Yeah it's my first time applying too. I'm in province so I think that gives me a pretty big advantage since something like 90% of the seats are reserved for us

I applied this year. My application has also disappeared. Anyone have any idea when we will be contacted about interviews?
Some people received information about an interview as early as the 14th of March last year.

Let the waiting game being...

does anyone know what the average gpa is for people who got accepted previous years? or at least got interviews?

And good luck to all :)

does anyone know what the average gpa is for people who got accepted previous years? or at least got interviews?

And good luck to all :)
I have been told that people with cGPA as low as 3.3/4.3 have received interviews in the past, but each year it varies on the pool of applicants. I was also informed that the average cGPA for people who got accepted in previous years is around 3.5/4.3. This once again varies year to year.

Each year there are people who have really high cGPA (4+) that do not get accepted as their interviews did not go so well.

Good luck to everyone who is applying :)

If you wouldn't mind posting on here as soon as you receive notification as to if you received an interview, that would be greatly appreciated as I am sure a lot of people are becoming anxious.

I always thought the average was a bit higher, more around 3.7, unless you mean for just getting the interview. Hope you're right though! And I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get my call hopefully containing good news! Good luck everyone

I guess it does vary each year due to the different applicants, but at least from my understanding I was told by someone who is in the Pharmacy department that the average cGPA was around 3.5 for acceptance (for the last 2 years). Since they used "was around" I wouldn't be surprised if it was 3.6 which would be closer to what you thought.

I believe that people are assuming the average to be higher than it actually is. This is because in previous threads the majority of people who are posting their cGPA have 3.7+. You don't see many posts of people who have under 3.7, however, people are receiving interviews with 3.3 cGPAs. That is why I believe that the average is truly around 3.5-3.6, for acceptance, as your grades are only half of it and the interview is the other half.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some one who got in last year and her interview call came on the 18th. So hopefully this week!

Last edited:
It's good to see some other people that are applying. How many of you are current students at Dal? I never bothered to calculate my GPA. Do they only use your pre-reqs or all your courses?

I applied this year as well and as far as I know they look at cummulative. However, I'm sure they take a "special" look at pre-reqs 'cause what if you have a 65 in Chem. and Bio. (or whatever) but a 3.8 cGPA after 4 years in a completely unrelated discipline...

... It's a mystery to me but, that's my best guess. Oh, I'm also a current Dal. student :)

Last edited:
I do not know about the application process.

I heard that they look at my GPA for this term as well.
If I did well on my first semester but not on my second one,
would that affect the chance of getting in?

If you sent in your transcripts how would they see this term? (legit question) ... If you're a Dal. Student they can just look you up in the system (I asked Margaret a question and she just looked me up and told me what classes counted for what, which kinda scared me, lol) but I don't think they can do that for other schools ...? So it's based upon what you send them methinks. If you have XY courses you would have had to send an expected grades transcript.

I am not a dal student, and they received my transcripts as well as asked for my midterm marks from my profs for current prereq courses... they had to email them in.

@bauer12 they do look at all of your courses when calculating your cGPA

@tnwlsful they give out interviews based on all of your completed years at Uni and your first semester of this year, if you do receive an interview your grades from this semester will matter in their final decision as to if you are accepted into the program as they recalculate your cGPA at the end of June

Hopefully we will start hearing about interviews really soon. *fingers crossed*

It was for pre-req courses that I am currently in, that are full year courses. Probably just to give them an idea what my marks will be like at the end of the year. Anyone else applying after their first year?

If I take four courses this term, am I still eligible as a Pharmacy applicant?

Yes, as long as you have the pre-reqs you can apply.

Last edited:
I had an interview last year, with a 3.6. I was a first year student, I felt the interview went really well but did not get accepted. 90% of the seats are reserved for maritime born (not just Nova Scotia residents). I received my call on March 20th last year, but was told by Margaret that this year tey are behind and to not expect anything until the second week of April.

Yeah, I know some ppl in Pharm. 2nd year and they didn't get their calls until mid exam period ... so mid. April.

Also, question ... How do they know you were born in the Maritimes? How do they get proof of that? I'm just going off of the info we gave them in the app. and supplemental form.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know some ppl in Pharm. 2nd year and they didn't get their calls until mid exam period ... so mid. April.

Also, question ... How do they know you were born in the Maritimes? How do they get proof of that? I'm just going off of the info we gave them in the app. and supplemental form.

hopefully you wouldn't lie about your place of birth.....youll have to provide the correct information at some point...

i'm currently a first year pharm student.

hopefully you wouldn't lie about your place of birth.....youll have to provide the correct information at some point...

i'm currently a first year pharm student.

"at some point" when?

you wouldn't actually consider lying about your birthplace to get in would you...

No, but I ask because I have lived in the Maritimes for 10 yrs, came here when I was a child and do not intend to leave soooo yeah I was not born in the Maritimes but I am a resident so the College looking specifically for people born here and weeding them out just seemed a little far fetched to me.

It's less likely that Pharmacy Admission Committee will discriminate against the students with applicants' birthplace. As long as you fit in a category as the residents of the Maritime, you are eligible to apply for Pharmacy, just like when Student Financial Service considers where your parents or you reside, rather than where you were born. There are many rumors going around, and it is sometimes hard to tell the truth.

There's about ~5 people in my class who were born outside of the maritimes.

From the FAQs:

7. Do you take Non-Maritime students?
Yes, up to 10% of the 90 seats can be held for Non-Maritime students.

8. If I live out of the Maritimes, but my parents live here, am I considered a Maritime resident?
Yes.

9. If I live in a Non-Maritime province and have been going to school in the Maritimes, am I considered a Maritime resident?
No.

Essentially, your birthplace doesn't matter. If you've left home for the first time to go to university and your parents live elsewhere (ie. your permanent residence), then that will affect your residency status. A permanent residence usual refers to the last place you continuously resided in not including your time as a full time post-secondary student.

I was born/raised in BC, did my undergrad in ON and have been living in NB for the last 5 years. I would be considered a permanent resident of the Maritimes at the moment regardless of my birthplace. I live, work, and pay taxes to the Maritimes. But while completing my undergrad, I would have been considered a permanant resident of BC.

Hopefully, that doesn’t make things even more confusing.

From the FAQs:

7. Do you take Non-Maritime students?
Yes, up to 10% of the 90 seats can be held for Non-Maritime students.

8. If I live out of the Maritimes, but my parents live here, am I considered a Maritime resident?
Yes.

9. If I live in a Non-Maritime province and have been going to school in the Maritimes, am I considered a Maritime resident?
No.

Essentially, your birthplace doesn't matter. If you've left home for the first time to go to university and your parents live elsewhere (ie. your permanent residence), then that will affect your residency status. A permanent residence usual refers to the last place you continuously resided in not including your time as a full time post-secondary student.

I was born/raised in BC, did my undergrad in ON and have been living in NB for the last 5 years. I would be considered a permanent resident of the Maritimes at the moment regardless of my birthplace. I live, work, and pay taxes to the Maritimes. But while completing my undergrad, I would have been considered a permanant resident of BC.

Hopefully, that doesn’t make things even more confusing.

Nope, not confusing. I understand it the same as you do however, the above posters were making me doubt my previous understanding. Thank you for clearing it up. My family and I have been paying the highest tax rates across Canada for the past 10 years, I'll be damned if someone calls me a resident of another province.

Last edited:
I guess no one has any real questions related to the interview process then?

"real questions" lol

Your attitude is actually terrible. My bad for going off of what other people told me about their own experiences in the process, I apologize. I'm not an expert since I live in the maritimes and if you were really that concerned, asking Margaret would be the solution rather than getting pissed off at someone on an internet forum.

Good luck getting in.

Even if people cannot affect their applications at this point in time, it doesn't hurt for people to get a better understanding of the process. If people are very concerned about their residency status, I think that it's a legit concern considering the allocation of seats. I personally would want to know for sure going into the interview, whether or not I was competing for 10% or 90% of the seats.

Even though the interview is the next step in the application process, there is no reason to restrict all questions exclusively to that. In my opinion, the MMI is something you cannot 'study' for. If you can think logically at a technical, ethical and personable level while clearly articulating yourself in a professional and respectful manner, you will do fairly well.

Even if people cannot affect their applications at this point in time, it doesn't hurt for people to get a better understanding of the process. If people are very concerned about their residency status, I think that it's a legit concern considering the allocation of seats. I personally would want to know for sure going into the interview, whether or not I was competing for 10% or 90% of the seats.

Even though the interview is the next step in the application process, there is no reason to restrict all questions exclusively to that. In my opinion, the MMI is something you cannot 'study' for. If you can think logically at a technical, ethical and personable level while clearly articulating yourself in a professional and respectful manner, you will do fairly well.

Agree. But it would have made more sense to straight up ask Margaret and know for sure. Rather than when I made the mistake get upset about it.

Also - just so everyone knows they aren't obliged to set 10% of the class to be from out of maritimes. That is just the maximum.

I'm not going to bother Margaret any more than I already have for something I cannot change. Your condescension upset me, yes.

The end.

Last edited:
I have two questions:

1. If I repeat a class for some reason, would the pharmacy look at my original grade as well as the repeated grade and average them up to calculate my cGPA?

2. I heard from one of my friends in Pharmacy that if Margaret calls once and if you don't answer the call, then she is less likely to call somebody else. In other words, if you miss the call, you don't get a chance for an interview. I e-mailed Margaret but she didn't reply.

I have two questions:

1. If I repeat a class for some reason, would the pharmacy look at my original grade as well as the repeated grade and average them up to calculate my cGPA?

2. I heard from one of my friends in Pharmacy that if Margaret calls once and if you don't answer the call, then she is less likely to call somebody else. In other words, if you miss the call, you don't get a chance for an interview. I e-mailed Margaret but she didn't reply.

I think they just take the higher grade.

I'm sure the second one is complete bull****..it better be.

First i'm not sure.
Second I know I wasnt home when i got my call for an interview and she left a message asking to phone back. So i'd say it is BS.

I have two questions:

1. Dal has a general policy of looking only at the higher grade in cGPA, however I do not know if the College does it differently.

2. Highly unlikely story :thumbdown:

Last edited: