Dallas-volunteering opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lost

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if any of ya'll from around the Dallas/plano area know of any medically related volunteering opportunities here? Since I'm new to this city, any input/ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Parkland has a nice volunteering program. You can volunteer in the ER there and you get your shots free. It takes awhile to get started with that. Depends where you live in the city and what kind of medicine you are interested in.

Yup volunteered in Parkland as well. the ER was cool, but make sure you volunteer at night when everything starts happening. Doesnt take that long to get started, just give em a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just went to Parkland's Volunteer Orientation this past Friday. I was quite impressed with their program. Ms. Little, the director, is very impressive and passionate.

PMH Vol tele# 214.590.8827

I think they will direct you to the next orientation class. That may only happen once a month.

Presbyterian in east Plano also has a formal program as well, but getting the necessary approvals seemed ridiculous to me. They had quite a laundry list.

Go for Parkland, they are world famous since JFK died there in '63.

Thanks a lot for your responses! I will certainly check out the programs mentioned. Do you ER volunteers get to do a lot of hands on stuff or do they just end up observing the happenings around them? I was wondering if any of you are aware of any free health care clinics or community clinics that are receptive to volunteers.

If you're lucky, you will get to see some cool stuff. Hands on ? ? . . . . surely you jest. Should I remind you that the US has the largest number of lawyers per capita on the planet.

More than likely it will be transferring patients, running films around, etc. The term "gopher" comes to mind. Go-for this, go-for that. We are basically free but unqualified support staff.

As someone said, they give you your shots for free. That might save you some dough when starting med school. If you don't hit 100 hours in one year then they say you have to reimburse the hospital for the shots.