Dana Farber?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FOLFOX6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year medical student (MD only) currently making my rank list and I've been very privileged with my options. I have a strong research background in heme/onc and am looking to go that route for fellowship (unsure about solids v liquids). I loved my very brief time at the DFCI when I was interviewing at BWH/MGH and my question is that are your options for academic positions in major cities significantly better than other similar tiered fellowships-- in other words if in 6 years I'm looking for an academic job in San Francisco will my connections, research opportunities at DFCI, or the name alone give be a better chance of landing the position than other fellowships. I only ask now because it seems like its basically impossible to land a fellowship position at DFCI coming from a non-Harvard hospital, so I feel as if I'm making that decision now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I only ask now because it seems like its basically impossible to land a fellowship position at DFCI coming from a non-Harvard hospital, so I feel as if I'm making that decision now

Not true. I don't know where you got that from. You clearly need to be coming from a very solid IM program to go to DFCI. I think DFCI has a reputation of taking many internal candidates but that all depends on how many apply every year ...etc My guess is that if you have solid hem/onc research background and you go to a top 20 IM program, you'll be taken seriously by DFCI when you apply for fellowship.