Danish student should i cram in an elective, before im MD in 4 months ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenrikFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am a danish student who will be graduating in 4 months, however i just realized that my timeframe for getting an elective apparently is this narrow as well. It seems i cannot get an US elective after i graduate.
I have come to realize that the most perfect career for me is a psychiatric research residency. These kinds of residencies are not available in Denmark, and therefore i want to go to the US to try and excel in psychiatric research.

I know that psychiatric residencies in general do not require the highest board scores, however i do not know how hard it is to get into psychiatric research residencies.
More to the point, i do not know if i am at a severe disadvantage without an elective, or if i can manage without.

I will be graduating end of January, and i want to hear what your oppinion is ?

Do i need to get on the next plane to US as soon as possible to get an elective, or are there other solutions.

Do i have options post graduating for this clinical experience ?

I have had a part time job as a doctor in a psychiatric ward in Denmark already, but i hear that universities want US clinical experience in their applications.

Facts:
I have not yet taken step 1 (will be taking it after i graduate and have prepared)

Kind regards

Members don't see this ad.

Get the rotation in where you can, but you'll have a lot of immigration hoops to jump. Complete your USMLE (and do well naturally). There are no 'post-doc' experiences but you can apply for observerships. Keep working towards your goal.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

I was in a very similar situation and ended up deferring graduation for the purpose of pursuing an elective, it wasn't a true delay as I had to work on my steps anyway to apply for residency and gave me more options. I'm not sure it's an absolute requirement but I can say that in my case it allowed me to establish professional contacts that were very useful for the process. Message me if I can be of help :)

Reactions: 1 user