Dartmouth Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polonium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current or recent residents at Dartmouth? Or even someone familiar with the program? I'd like to get some thoughts on the program, name recognition, resident life, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no affiliation with the program, though I have always heard positive things about it. Good reputation as far as I can tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know it's not just hearsay? It has barely been mentioned on SDN.
I have met someone who trained there and know a couple more who interviewed there and liked it. Have not read anything on the internet about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Only anecdotal from being from the same region and being up there a few times for conferences: nice facilities, great regional, cold, small town, lots of outdoors stuff. NH is a great state.

As hard as it is to believe, I interviewed almost a decade ago for residency, so I assume this is very dated, but since it has been days without responses I will give my feeling.
They have a very nice hospital in a very nice small town. Cost of living would be fairly high for the size town, but my friend who did go there for a different specialty rented a place and his wife didnt work, never seemed to be in that much more financially strained than any other resident. So "doable" for a living arrangement.
It seemed to be pretty good with regards to regional. However, it didnt blow my socks off with regional experience, and I think you get more at a bunch of other places. My feelings on a lot of these "regional powerhouses" is that it mattered a lot more in the early 2000s, not as much in the 2010s when everyone has ultrasound and regional is more popular overall.
All other specialties seemed generically mildly above average, not top of the pile, but certainly nothing too shabby. The attendings I met appeared very interested in resident education, lectures sounded good. Residents there were quite collegial and friendly, none sounded like idiots (as was the case at a few of my interviews).

Again, all of this is dated stuff that I recall from many years ago on a single day, but through those glasses it seemed like an above average place with no glaring deficiencies. Overall worth a look if you like that type of city to live in, and that area of the country. Not so exceptional as a training facility to live in a small town if you are absolutely a city person. Obviously, this "review" is pretty worthless and nonspecific, but hey, maybe it will get others talking more.

Friend of mine graduated last year. She was extremely happy there. I also interviewed there a while back and seriously considered ranking highly, but it was too far out in the sticks for me.

Current resident at Dartmouth. I think we have a great program. Excellent regional (our director is overseeing ASRA this year), good cardiac with excellent TEE (easily can get cert and more hands on time than anywhere else I've heard of), excellent faculty teacher with great connections for fellowship if your interested. Great life outside the OR kayaking/canoeing in the summer, hiking in the fall, skiing and skating in the winter. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Current resident at Dartmouth. I think we have a great program. Excellent regional (our director is overseeing ASRA this year), good cardiac with excellent TEE (easily can get cert and more hands on time than anywhere else I've heard of), excellent faculty teacher with great connections for fellowship if your interested. Great life outside the OR kayaking/canoeing in the summer, hiking in the fall, skiing and skating in the winter. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Agree 100%. Spent 1 year there as a fellow and loved it. Wonderful people there. Residents seemed very happy (and quite sharp), faculty very supportive and dedicated to teaching. Beautiful hospital. You gotta want to live in NH, though. It's a good fit for people who want a quiet location and enjoy outdoor activities.

Agree 100%. Spent 1 year there as a fellow and loved it. Wonderful people there. Residents seemed very happy (and quite sharp), faculty very supportive and dedicated to teaching. Beautiful hospital. You gotta want to live in NH, though. It's a good fit for people who want a quiet location and enjoy outdoor activities.
What kind of fellow?

I can't help you out with any info about the anesthesiology residency but I know someone that trained there for chronic pain and they really liked it. It was his #1 choice.

Any moonlighting at Dartmouth?

Any moonlighting at Dartmouth?
Interviewed there recently. Moonlighting only in the ICU and you can do it only after getting your new hampshire license, which is during CA-2 year I believe. I think one of the residents mentioned you will bring in about $1k per 12-hr shift in the ICU. Overall, seemed like most residents were NOT moonlighting.

Reactions: 1 user