DAT 7/13/13 third times attempt, fifth times apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hop3ds00n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my DAT for the third times yesterday.

1st time- 2009
PAT 16
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 16
GC 18
OC 16
TS 17
AA 18

2nd time- 2011
PAT 22
QR 22
RC 16
BIO 16
GC 20
OC 21
TS 19
AA 19

3rd time- 2013
PAT 22
QR 24
RC 16
BIO 18
GC 24
OC 22
TS 20
AA 21

This is my fifth time apply, application submitted and on the 1st batch.
sGPA 3.61
cGPA 3.65
Double major: Physic, Chemistry
400+ research, 1000+ dental exp, 1000+ volunteer, 2000+ other health care exp
Currently , I’m the 3rd on waitlist at one school and 1st on waitlist at another one (sorry, I do not want to name the schools because of their generous for me). I had 3 interviews, all pre-dec.
2011 Cycle, I got only 2 interviews, one rejected and one waitlist- rejected. One pre-dec and one post-dec.
Materials I use :

Cliff AP 8/10
Baron AP 9/10
DAT Destroyer 7/10, Math Destroyer 10/10
Chad's 10/10
Datbootcamp 9/10
CDP 7/10
Feralis Biology Notes 7/10

On 2nd time, I got these TopScore 6/10, Achiever 5/10 and DQVault (7/10)
I decided not to subscribe those again since it's a waste of time. I also had KBB (6/10), did not have time for it.

Study time:
I studied for about 3 months since I work a full time and a part time job. About 2-3 hours a day for most of the times. No study at all for the weekend, I had to work and participate on a lot of activities. Increase to about 7-9 hours a day on the last week before the test ( I was able to schedule a week off from my full time job)

I retook trying to improve the Bio and Reading over the cut off. So I started back on April by reading Baron AP and support it with Cliff (I already had a detail note from last attempt + feralis note) that helping to refresh my bio knowledge.

Starting mid of May I subscribed to Chad (waiting for his discount code :rolleyes:) and Datbootcamp. Chad is the man, Gen Chem and Ochem is cover in detail by him. He also helps to avoid topics that have less chance appear on the DAT.

I would say that, Do not spread your study time for more than 2 months. You will forget information. 2 weeks before my exam, I started panic because all of my biology knowledge was gone 60%. So I had to spend time to review them all over.

I only started doing practice a weeks before the exam.

DATbootcamp is really good, they had some type of question similar to the real
Average:
Bio: 17-20
GC: 18-24
OC: 17-22
Math: 19-22

DATdestroyer go over it only once in 3 days ( 120 Bio/60GC/60OC a day)
Just like everyone here said, this is the over kill for Bio. IF you do not have enough time, I would reread the biology Chapter in Cliff or Baron in detail instead waste time to catch some odd facts.
However, their GC and OC are really good, that will help you apply the knowledge from Chad to the real one.
Average:
Bio 66% correct
GC 86% correct
OC 76% correct

DAT Math pretty easy and straightforward. I did only 10 test, They are really the type of questions will be on the real one. The key for QR is time. I know everyone here know how to solve the problem, it is the way to solve them that make different.
Average time: 35-40'
Average: 36-40 / 40

CDP just practice and practice. The real one is probably harder.
Test: 21 24 24 26 22 25 24 ( average 1-2 points higher than last time I studied for it)
The more practice the better you will be.

On the REAL ONE:
It's funny I schedule my test on 7/13/13 at 13:00. Test center is on 12 floor, a quick search show that 85% of the buildings with elevators did not have a floor named the 13th floor hahaha

I did not really care much about that, because until now, my fifth time applying GOD is my main supporter, main motivation and the guidance of my mind. ( I would had blown my mind without the communication with him through everyone around me:thumbup:)

I once was told by an advisor at a dental school that I should chance my career or seriously talk with a mentor about my career. DO not waste more time in dentistry :(. It's sad but true, He said, he had never seen a fifth time applicant before. Hahaha he is seeing one this year.

At the testing center, there were nearly 30 others students taking the MCAT....seriously 30 MCATers compare to only 2 DATers.

BIO: yup, same random, short question, mixing between hard and easy one. CLIFF AND BARON only cover up to 80% of the questions. There were about 5 questions I had no clue and never saw it ever on all of my attempts. I spent way too much time on this sections because it's my main concern. I DO HAVE PLANT, ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, ANATOMY (5-7 Q) and a bunch on others topics. So, expose yourself to as much as materials as you can on this one.

GC and OC Since this is my major, I did not have much problem with it. Only had one question on Molecular Geometry I was not sure about. OC is straightforward and easier than destroyer. Not sure where I got the wrong answers.

This time, I only had 4' left (last time about 25' left) on the Science.

PAT I started it expected to pull 22+, turn out it's more difficult than last time I took it.
Keyhold: really weird shape, way harder than CDP
TFE: line counting fail, max of 1 eliminate and waste of time. Harder than CDP
I was so confident with PAT, so I did not use the mark. Big mistake as it took me 30' for only 2 sections above. I rushed throught the rest.

Angle: easier than CDP
Holes: little harder and weird fold you will never seen on CDP.
Pattern:about the same. More about shape than pattern.

RC :scared:I did not know what to do with this one. I did not know how to improve it. 1st one I made 19, read them all and answer question. 2nd time I tried SnD, fail big time with 16. Now I get back to read 3-4 questions, read the pages, and move on when I'd done. Still fail with 16 again. I do not want to use excuse English is my second language :laugh: because I got higher on my 1st attempt. :love: If you read my breakdown and saw a lot of English mistake, please forgive me as it is the result of 16 RC haha. oh and UNE said they will take the highest section of all attempts.

QRI really not study much for this one, expected to pull 22+ because I know there is no way for me to pull up my RC, QR is the other way around. I just love math, I was joined a math club back in undergraduate. Won several state competitions and got scholarship if I switch major to Math. This section is very simple, everyone will be able to solve it. Time is the main factor ( just practice). I was lucky to have only 8-10 word problems. I actually did not use the calculator since it suck big time. I worked the problem out and checked with the answer. Again I was so confident that I did not use the mark and had 5' left for 8 Q. But I was able to finish them all. I was expected to see 30 in this section. Don't know why I ended up with 24. :( However, as long as it's better, I'm happy.

I'm finally done with the DAT. I won't retake it again despite the cut off. So cut off schools are out of my league.

Again, I did not contribute much to SDN because I feel so bad about my situation. Looking everyone got accepted on 1st try. All of my predent undergraduate friends, now they are 2 D3; 2 D4; an othor and an Endo. And I'm here posting a breakdown to a predent forum. :oops: Hoping other predents do not to give up. It's EASIER SAID THAN DONE. I knew it, but I still go for it If it's really my goal.

Dec 1 became the worse day of the year for me. Frustrated, depression and stressful had came and gone. Only GOD and my wife stayed and supporting me. Believed in him, live in him to support others. He will guide you to success. """hop3ds00n""""I hope this year is the time.

Big thanks to my wife and everyone post a breakdown to support others. I did have several motivations reading yours :) Hope all is good. Also, questions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
God Bless you my brother....I hope you get in this year. This is your year. I also have applied multiple times and God Willing this is our year. Stay in their and don't lose faith. The Almighty will definitely take care of us and WE WILL GET IN. I'm retaking my exam next month. Unfortunately I'm not in the first or second batch so I need to do really well to get a fighting chance to get into dental school. I'll pray for you and I have a lot of respect for someone like yourself for not giving up. Good Luck.

Reactions: 1 users
God Bless you my brother....I hope you get in this year. This is your year. I also have applied multiple times and God Willing this is our year. Stay in their and don't lose faith. The Almighty will definitely take care of us and WE WILL GET IN. I'm retaking my exam next month. Unfortunately I'm not in the first or second batch so I need to do really well to get a fighting chance to get into dental school. I'll pray for you and I have a lot of respect for someone like yourself for not giving up. Good Luck.

Thanks buddy, stay strong stay in good faith and luck will find its way to you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think there's a person on this forum with similar credentials, including that 16RC, who applied to 53 schools and received a few acceptances last cycle.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement word. I really hope this is the year!!!

That's a fantastic improvement over the first 2 attempts! Congratulations on your scores!
Thank Ari, you're the man. Love the Datbootcamp.

What is your gpa if you dont mind me asking??
sGPA 3.61
cGPA 3.65

I think there's a person on this forum with similar credentials, including that 16RC, who applied to 53 schools and received a few acceptances last cycle.
I know who you are talking about. Been PM him back and forth since the day when he took the DAT, interviewed and got accepted ;)

Took my DAT for the third times yesterday.

1st time- 2009
PAT 16
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 16
GC 18
OC 16
TS 17
AA 18

2nd time- 2011
PAT 22
QR 22
RC 16
BIO 16
GC 20
OC 21
TS 19
AA 19

3rd time- 2013
PAT 22
QR 24
RC 16
BIO 18
GC 24
OC 22
TS 20
AA 21

This is my fifth time apply, application submitted and on the 1st batch.
sGPA 3.61
cGPA 3.65
Double major: Physic, Chemistry
400+ research, 1000+ dental exp, 1000+ volunteer, 2000+ other health care exp
Currently , I’m the 3rd on waitlist at one school and 1st on waitlist at another one (sorry, I do not want to name the schools because of their generous for me). I had 3 interviews, all pre-dec.
2011 Cycle, I got only 2 interviews, one rejected and one waitlist- rejected. One pre-dec and one post-dec.
Materials I use :

Cliff AP 8/10
Baron AP 9/10
DAT Destroyer 7/10, Math Destroyer 10/10
Chad's 10/10
Datbootcamp 9/10
CDP 7/10
Feralis Biology Notes 7/10

On 2nd time, I got these TopScore 6/10, Achiever 5/10 and DQVault (7/10)
I decided not to subscribe those again since it's a waste of time. I also had KBB (6/10), did not have time for it.

Study time:
I studied for about 3 months since I work a full time and a part time job. About 2-3 hours a day for most of the times. No study at all for the weekend, I had to work and participate on a lot of activities. Increase to about 7-9 hours a day on the last week before the test ( I was able to schedule a week off from my full time job)

I retook trying to improve the Bio and Reading over the cut off. So I started back on April by reading Baron AP and support it with Cliff (I already had a detail note from last attempt + feralis note) that helping to refresh my bio knowledge.

Starting mid of May I subscribed to Chad (waiting for his discount code :rolleyes:) and Datbootcamp. Chad is the man, Gen Chem and Ochem is cover in detail by him. He also helps to avoid topics that have less chance appear on the DAT.

I would say that, Do not spread your study time for more than 2 months. You will forget information. 2 weeks before my exam, I started panic because all of my biology knowledge was gone 60%. So I had to spend time to review them all over.

I only started doing practice a weeks before the exam.

DATbootcamp is really good, they had some type of question similar to the real
Average:
Bio: 17-20
GC: 18-24
OC: 17-22
Math: 19-22

DATdestroyer go over it only once in 3 days ( 120 Bio/60GC/60OC a day)
Just like everyone here said, this is the over kill for Bio. IF you do not have enough time, I would reread the biology Chapter in Cliff or Baron in detail instead waste time to catch some odd facts.
However, their GC and OC are really good, that will help you apply the knowledge from Chad to the real one.
Average:
Bio 66% correct
GC 86% correct
OC 76% correct

DAT Math pretty easy and straightforward. I did only 10 test, They are really the type of questions will be on the real one. The key for QR is time. I know everyone here know how to solve the problem, it is the way to solve them that make different.
Average time: 35-40'
Average: 36-40 / 40

CDP just practice and practice. The real one is probably harder.
Test: 21 24 24 26 22 25 24 ( average 1-2 points higher than last time I studied for it)
The more practice the better you will be.

On the REAL ONE:
It's funny I schedule my test on 7/13/13 at 13:00. Test center is on 12 floor, a quick search show that 85% of the buildings with elevators did not have a floor named the 13th floor hahaha

I did not really care much about that, because until now, my fifth time applying GOD is my main supporter, main motivation and the guidance of my mind. ( I would had blown my mind without the communication with him through everyone around me:thumbup:)

I once was told by an advisor at a dental school that I should chance my career or seriously talk with a mentor about my career. DO not waste more time in dentistry :(. It's sad but true, He said, he had never seen a fifth time applicant before. Hahaha he is seeing one this year.

At the testing center, there were nearly 30 others students taking the MCAT....seriously 30 MCATers compare to only 2 DATers.

BIO: yup, same random, short question, mixing between hard and easy one. CLIFF AND BARON only cover up to 80% of the questions. There were about 5 questions I had no clue and never saw it ever on all of my attempts. I spent way too much time on this sections because it's my main concern. I DO HAVE PLANT, ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, ANATOMY (5-7 Q) and a bunch on others topics. So, expose yourself to as much as materials as you can on this one.

GC and OC Since this is my major, I did not have much problem with it. Only had one question on Molecular Geometry I was not sure about. OC is straightforward and easier than destroyer. Not sure where I got the wrong answers.

This time, I only had 4' left (last time about 25' left) on the Science.

PAT I started it expected to pull 22+, turn out it's more difficult than last time I took it.
Keyhold: really weird shape, way harder than CDP
TFE: line counting fail, max of 1 eliminate and waste of time. Harder than CDP
I was so confident with PAT, so I did not use the mark. Big mistake as it took me 30' for only 2 sections above. I rushed throught the rest.

Angle: easier than CDP
Holes: little harder and weird fold you will never seen on CDP.
Pattern:about the same. More about shape than pattern.

RC :scared:I did not know what to do with this one. I did not know how to improve it. 1st one I made 19, read them all and answer question. 2nd time I tried SnD, fail big time with 16. Now I get back to read 3-4 questions, read the pages, and move on when I'd done. Still fail with 16 again. I do not want to use excuse English is my second language :laugh: because I got higher on my 1st attempt. :love: If you read my breakdown and saw a lot of English mistake, please forgive me as it is the result of 16 RC haha. oh and UNE said they will take the highest section of all attempts.

QRI really not study much for this one, expected to pull 22+ because I know there is no way for me to pull up my RC, QR is the other way around. I just love math, I was joined a math club back in undergraduate. Won several state competitions and got scholarship if I switch major to Math. This section is very simple, everyone will be able to solve it. Time is the main factor ( just practice). I was lucky to have only 8-10 word problems. I actually did not use the calculator since it suck big time. I worked the problem out and checked with the answer. Again I was so confident that I did not use the mark and had 5' left for 8 Q. But I was able to finish them all. I was expected to see 30 in this section. Don't know why I ended up with 24. :( However, as long as it's better, I'm happy.

I'm finally done with the DAT. I won't retake it again despite the cut off. So cut off schools are out of my league.

Again, I did not contribute much to SDN because I feel so bad about my situation. Looking everyone got accepted on 1st try. All of my predent undergraduate friends, now they are 2 D3; 2 D4; an othor and an Endo. And I'm here posting a breakdown to a predent forum. :oops: Hoping other predents do not to give up. It's EASIER SAID THAN DONE. I knew it, but I still go for it If it's really my goal.

Dec 1 became the worse day of the year for me. Frustrated, depression and stressful had came and gone. Only GOD and my wife stayed and supporting me. Believed in him, live in him to support others. He will guide you to success. """hop3ds00n""""I hope this year is the time.

Big thanks to my wife and everyone post a breakdown to support others. I did have several motivations reading yours :) Hope all is good. Also, questions are welcome.

Great Job and great scores!!
Third time applicant as well here..
Good luck to both of us!

Great job!! Very good scores! I am so worried about the RC section too :x But yeah, It will be your year to celebrate! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 10 users
A little update on my case, I got total of 7 interviews and 4 acceptances. I chose to go to the first school that granted me their trust. I'm DS3 now and currently on my rotation. Working on my NBDE part 2 and our family just had a little angel <3. My life had change from now on!!! Try hard and you will get there. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" Matthew 7:7
Outstanding determination! Congratulations, you certainly earned your spot!

You have such fierce determination! I'm surprised you didn't get in on the 2nd DAT score. Did they say what held you back? (Ik this thread is old). I'm assuming RC is low because english isn't your first language?

I don't even know you and I'm so happy for you haha! WOW that's determination, hopefully one day I'm in your shoes! Bravo:claps::claps::claps:for not giving up on your dream! & Congrats on the new addition to your family!

O my god how much do you think that would cost lol

You have such fierce determination! I'm surprised you didn't get in on the 2nd DAT score. Did they say what held you back? (Ik this thread is old). I'm assuming RC is low because english isn't your first language?
I think so, but it's strange that I got highest on the 1st attemp. That 2nd time score took me 2 years to realize I need to retake.
O my god how much do you think that would cost lol
as I recalled around 8-10k. He's DS4 now.

I think so, but it's strange that I got highest on the 1st attemp. That 2nd time score took me 2 years to realize I need to retake.
as I recalled around 8-10k. He's DS4 now.

-- So the reason you have 2 year gaps with taking the test is because you could not figure out why you were not getting in but assumed it was not because of your exam score ? Where you a freshman in college on your first take or have you been done for a while when you first took the test ?

--- and wow! 10k lol you know that it must be so much more then 10k because at the end of the day that is not factoring it in the fact that if schools want to interview you then you have to pay for a flight over there and back and for food and for a place to sleep , I would imagine if he got 5 out of those 52 it must have been like around 15k when everything is added together. haha damn that is a lot of money, I know it is a sacrifice for a better future but it is kind of absolutely insane to realize if someone only had 15 k saved from working all through highschool and college and then "Poof" its all gone on sending applications one time .

Last edited:
A little update on my case, I got total of 7 interviews and 4 acceptances. I chose to go to the first school that granted me their trust. I'm DS3 now and currently on my rotation. Working on my NBDE part 2 and our family just had a little angel <3. My life had change from now on!!! Try hard and you will get there. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" Matthew 7:7

Wow thank you for updating on us!

Im sure it motivated many of us

Good work, hang in there! Its obvious you have a good reason why you want to be dentist!

To all that have not get accepted offer yet, stay strong and stay positive. If it's your true determination, sooner or later you will get there. Facing so many struggles on the way and I'm still crawling this far. A little update, I'm a DS4 now in my last semester. Find out I passed my board part II last week (my 2nd attempt). Passed CTP portion of WREB. Attended 2 residency interviews (1 more coming up). Finished 80% clinical requirements from my school. The only thing left will be WREB in the next couple of months and I'll be a licensed dentist. Oh, and I will have my second angel in June <3.

Try hard and you will get there. "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you" Matthew 7:7

I almost lost my faith when I fail part II (made 73) thinking I don't have the ability to become a dentist. I was so shock and really disappointed in myself. Unable to sleep for almost a week. Part II is not a hard-written board but they are long and have many random questions. ADA is in the process of combining 2 boards into INBDE. Best study material would be Dental Deck, Mostby for patient management, Tuffs Pharm and random google un-released questions. Life will challenge you with many obstacles. Falling down once, twice or thrice is not the end of it. Be persistence and keep walking, God will guide you to your ultimate goal.