DAT before Masters Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be graduating by 21 because of many credit transfers from courses I took in high school.

Hypothetically speaking,

If I graduate with a 3.5+ sGPA and GPA WITH pre-reqs for a broad range of schools... I'll have a lot of time to decide on what to do next.

Either I can study and take the DAT, hold onto those scores & then apply to a 2 years Masters program in Design (my interest).

Or go straight into my Masters in Design & take the DAT after I obtain the degree...

My only fear is having a 2 year gap between having taken science courses will affect my performance on the DAT... but at the same time I don't want DAT scores to go invalid after the 2 year mark (the time id spend getting a masters)

Members don't see this ad.

If u feel u need a masters, go for it. But if your grades are above a 3.5 I don't think you'd need one. Good luck. Study hard for DAT and you'll get in

Take your DAT as soon as you finish your prereqs.
Also... exactly why are you doing a masters in design? (I hope you're talking about drafting/design and not fashion design... unless fashion is your passion, why go into dentistry?)
I would recommend you get a bachelors in design while doing your prereqs instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
If u feel u need a masters, go for it. But if your grades are above a 3.5 I don't think you'd need one. Good luck. Study hard for DAT and you'll get in

When I do get a masters -- my GPA, sGPA and BCP GPA will come from my undergrad & the dental school admissions will see a separate GPA from my masters program?

Ok, but what's the point of them seeing a different gpa? Why set your mind to a masters already. Save yourself the two years and work hard in college and apply for dental school ----
But if you are absolute that you want to get a masters, then go ahead but if you hurt your gpa you may also hurt your chances. Why add on 2 extra years of education and more debt.. Personally I wouldn't do this

Ok, but what's the point of them seeing a different gpa? Why set your mind to a masters already. Save yourself the two years and work hard in college and apply for dental school ----
But if you are absolute that you want to get a masters, then go ahead but if you hurt your gpa you may also hurt your chances. Why add on 2 extra years of education and more debt.. Personally I wouldn't do this

good points - thanks for the insight.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, why are you adding and paying for 2 more years of school? I'd take the DAT, see where you fall, then go from there. You do realize that most people are 22 when they graduate, right? It's not like you are graduating that early that you will be significantly younger than your classmates if that is what you are concerned about. If you want to boost your GPA, don't graduate early, take some fluff classes your last year and boost your GPA that way. I could graduate at the end of this year but I am holding off on one requirement so I can go a full 4 years of undergrad. I only get one more year to to be a "kid" so why rush it.

I agree, why are you adding and paying for 2 more years of school? I'd take the DAT, see where you fall, then go from there. You do realize that most people are 22 when they graduate, right? It's not like you are graduating that early that you will be significantly younger than your classmates if that is what you are concerned about. If you want to boost your GPA, don't graduate early, take some fluff classes your last year and boost your GPA that way. I could graduate at the end of this year but I am holding off on one requirement so I can go a full 4 years of undergrad. I only get one more year to to be a "kid" so why rush it.
thanks for the reply --

I'm considering finding easier Bio/Chem courses - maybe something that's intro level to boost the BCP.