dat bootcamp orgo question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tmac111

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. 28. Which is the best resonance structure for the following molecule?
    Q28Q.png

• A.
      Q28A.png
    • B.
      Q28B.png
    • C.
      Q28C.png
    • D.
      Q28D.png
    • E.
      Q28E.png
    Incorrect

Answer is B
The thing I don't get about this, is the negative charge should be on the most electronegative atom, the oxygen, and the positive charge should be on the least electronegative, the carbon, right? Answer choice B has the positive charge on a electronegative atom? I thought the answer should be C

Members don't see this ad.

Answer B would be more stable since it doesn't violate the octet rule which is more important than electronegativity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just know that the octet rule is the most important one and conjugated pi systems count for a more stable molecule and then the electronegativity of the atom.

RC:

I read quickly through each paragraph, 1 by 1 , and during or after each read paragraph I jot down key words or topic from that particular paragraph.

Give each paragraph a numerical position ex: paragraph 1, paragraph 2, etc.

Qr: do problems sets of 10 take a break and review. And repeat.

RC:

I read quickly through each paragraph, 1 by 1 , and during or after each read paragraph I jot down key words or topic from that particular paragraph.

Give each paragraph a numerical position ex: paragraph 1, paragraph 2, etc.

Qr: do problems sets of 10 take a break and review. And repeat.
Thank you :).. I think I'm gonna try the 10 questions for QR.. for RC I tried doing that in a different way but it wasn't great, I'll try it your way though hopefully it works :)

1. 28. Which is the best resonance structure for the following molecule?
    Q28Q.png
    • A.
      Q28A.png
    • B.
      Q28B.png
    • C.
      Q28C.png
    • D.
      Q28D.png
    • E.
      Q28E.png
    Incorrect

Answer is B
The thing I don't get about this, is the negative charge should be on the most electronegative atom, the oxygen, and the positive charge should be on the least electronegative, the carbon, right? Answer choice B has the positive charge on a electronegative atom? I thought the answer should be C

If you have Chad's Videos you should watch those; he explains it very well. I forgot some but this is some simple rules/explanations of mine.

1) you want least amount of charge
2) if there is charges put the negative charge on most electronegative atom (oxygen)
3) try to maintain the octet rule for all atoms

A) Oxygen has negative charge but C has positive charge. C doesn't really want to be positive; better to have it on N
B) C atoms looks good and see explanation for A
C) again C doesn't work well w/ positive charge
D) see above
E) no shifting/rearranging H's