DAT Breakdown 08/22/2014 (25AA, 23 TS, 22 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mycoalwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!

I've been reading so many breakdowns for so long, I wanted to contribute to the SDN community.

AA: 25
TS: 23
PAT: 22

Background: Incoming junior at a top 25 university. Still deciding on my major, but it's between global health or economics, so as you can tell, not a very strong science background. I studied practically 9 weeks. Maybe 3-4 hours a day for the first month and a half, then cranked it up to 6-9 hours a day for the remainder. As for materials, I used a little of CDP, Bootcamp, and Destroyer 2012. I must also add that I took the 2007 test a week before my actual test (my 2009 copy didn't come on time lol) and it was much easier than the actual test.

I was also so tired of studying that I actually moved my test 2 days in advance just to get it over with. No regrets with that!

PAT (22): I did maybe 2 tests on CDP to learn what PAT was like, then just split up Bootcamp tests throughout the remaining time. Some days I would just do generators, other days I would do a full test. I actually ended up only doing 9/10 of the tests once I couldn't break 20's. Like others have said, Bootcamp PAT will prepare you well. I was ticked off today since the actual DAT sometimes didn't even follow size proportions.
Bootcamp scores: 17, 19, 20, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20

QR (27): I've always been good at math, and yeah Bootcamp is harder than the actual DAT but not by much. My guideline for QR was: if it's taking you more than 10 seconds to realize what you have to do, move on then go back. Most QR problems should not require "critical" thinking. Destroyer helped a lot, so I would highly recommend it.
Bootcamp scores: 24, 24, 27, 23, 20 (test 5 was ridiculous)

Bio (22): So I knew a basic foundation of biology going in - how all the systems worked, common concepts and whatnot. Destroyer will help you so much. My actual DAT has so many oddly specific questions that, honestly, required both reasoning + guessing + vague memory of one detail on one page in the entire biology textbook. It was terrible, and I honestly thought I failed right after SNS. Bootcamp is a great way to test yourself here!
Bootcamp scores: 22, 22, 21, 18, 22

GC (27) and OC (23): Destroyer will guide you and really teach you everything. Do all of Destroyer twice. Do all of BC twice. I did not use Chad's videos at all.
Bootcamp GC scores: 22, 26, 30, 26, 20
Bootcamp OC scores: 20, 22, 19, 29, 23

Overall notes: Honestly, compared to what I saw in the MCAT and doing a few tests there prior to switching to pre-med, the DAT is not too hard of a test. If you know your stuff, you will do well. If you don't really know your stuff, your score will tell. It's pure memorization + knowing the steps/methods; nothing really requires critical thinking so don't overthink anything! Study very hard if you want a good score very badly. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
congratulations on your scores! I also took them yesterday (or today depending on where you are, but 8/22 regardless) and did similarly! I know what you mean about the size proportions for the PAT, it actually kinda messed me up because I would look at the answer choices and think that a choice is wrong because the proportions are off but then have to come back to it because nothing else worked

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Perfect scores :)

How did you do on the RC part? What methods did you use on that sections? How do you compare the passages on the real DAT with those in BC ?

Thank you!

Congratulations! Perfect scores :)

How did you do on the RC part? What methods did you use on that sections? How do you compare the passages on the real DAT with those in BC ?

Thank you!

Thanks!

RC I honestly just read the whole passage and noted key words as I went along so I can refer back to the passage at any given time. It makes me feel less pressure and more "prepared" to tackle the passage questions. My actual DAT questions were MUCH more straightforward and the passages were much shorter than BC. If you're doing well in BC, I can guarantee you'll do well on the real thing!

What exactly do you guys mean by this whole size proportion thing on the PAT?

Hard to explain... but to try and keep it simple, the correct answer's shape's size looks smaller than the given object in the question. That threw me off since Bootcamp was all about size proportions too.

Very good scores. Outstanding job. Congratulations.

Thank you!!

IT'S FINALLY OVER!!!

I've been reading so many breakdowns for so long, I wanted to contribute to the SDN community.

AA: 25
TS: 23
PAT: 22

Background: Incoming junior at a top 25 university. Still deciding on my major, but it's between global health or economics, so as you can tell, not a very strong science background. I studied practically 9 weeks. Maybe 3-4 hours a day for the first month and a half, then cranked it up to 6-9 hours a day for the remainder. As for materials, I used a little of CDP, Bootcamp, and Destroyer 2012. I must also add that I took the 2007 test a week before my actual test (my 2009 copy didn't come on time lol) and it was much easier than the actual test.

I was also so tired of studying that I actually moved my test 2 days in advance just to get it over with. No regrets with that!

PAT (22): I did maybe 2 tests on CDP to learn what PAT was like, then just split up Bootcamp tests throughout the remaining time. Some days I would just do generators, other days I would do a full test. I actually ended up only doing 9/10 of the tests once I couldn't break 20's. Like others have said, Bootcamp PAT will prepare you well. I was ticked off today since the actual DAT sometimes didn't even follow size proportions.
Bootcamp scores: 17, 19, 20, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20

QR (27): I've always been good at math, and yeah Bootcamp is harder than the actual DAT but not by much. My guideline for QR was: if it's taking you more than 10 seconds to realize what you have to do, move on then go back. Most QR problems should not require "critical" thinking. Destroyer helped a lot, so I would highly recommend it.
Bootcamp scores: 24, 24, 27, 23, 20 (test 5 was ridiculous)

Bio (22): So I knew a basic foundation of biology going in - how all the systems worked, common concepts and whatnot. Destroyer will help you so much. My actual DAT has so many oddly specific questions that, honestly, required both reasoning + guessing + vague memory of one detail on one page in the entire biology textbook. It was terrible, and I honestly thought I failed right after SNS. Bootcamp is a great way to test yourself here!
Bootcamp scores: 22, 22, 21, 18, 22

GC (27) and OC (23): Destroyer will guide you and really teach you everything. Do all of Destroyer twice. Do all of BC twice. I did not use Chad's videos at all.
Bootcamp GC scores: 22, 26, 30, 26, 20
Bootcamp OC scores: 20, 22, 19, 29, 23

Overall notes: Honestly, compared to what I saw in the MCAT and doing a few tests there prior to switching to pre-med, the DAT is not too hard of a test. If you know your stuff, you will do well. If you don't really know your stuff, your score will tell. It's pure memorization + knowing the steps/methods; nothing really requires critical thinking so don't overthink anything! Study very hard if you want a good score very badly. Feel free to ask me any questions.
Did you use Cliffs or Feralis for Bio, or anything before you jumped to Destroyer?